PDA

View Full Version : Prostar 214/X-14 possible recall?

gts-20
04-05-2012, 12:13 PM
http://www.uscgboating.org/recalls/recalls_detail.aspx?id=090012T

Has anyone had this done? Any idea what is involved?

The reason I ask is I recieved a notice of a registered letter yesterday, from MasterCraft. I have not had time to go to the post office to get it yet, so I'm trying to guess what it could be about. I thought maybe its for a recall or something. When I searched for recalls this is what I found.

2RLAKE
04-05-2012, 12:37 PM
i received mine too ... a potential issue with the fuel tank sliding forward and contact rudder arm. I will talk o someone at MC this weekend and get more info

i was really hoping that i was selected to received a new free boat or something ....

have a great long weekend everyone ... happy easter ... we are headed to the Grand Canyon

jason95gt
04-05-2012, 12:46 PM
This has been known for a couple years and affects the first two years of production. It isn't a big deal but something you should schedule to have done at your MC dealer. It is a long process to fix but a small item to fix.

gts-20
04-05-2012, 02:02 PM
I just got off the phone with my MC dealer, TSR. They said this was a very simple fix. Only involves some small parts, and doesn't take very long. He said they could have it done in one day once they had the parts there.

TSR :headbang:

cdstukey
04-05-2012, 02:26 PM
i was really hoping that i was selected to received a new free boat or something ....

I thought is was a rewards check, which would have been awesome since I was never in that program. 8p
The verbiage seemed pretty DD specific and my boats a V, so that was kind of odd, haven't checked with my dealer.
Alan?

jason95gt
04-05-2012, 02:31 PM
It is a DD only thing since the gas tank is in the back by the rudder.

cdstukey
04-05-2012, 02:43 PM
It is a DD only thing since the gas tank is in the back by the rudder.

That's what I was thinking.

eficalibrator
04-09-2012, 04:58 PM
Got my certified mail notice for it too. No big deal since mine is headed in for de-winterization and an oil change this week anyway.

gts-20
04-09-2012, 05:11 PM
We called and made an appointment to drop ours off Sat. morning @ TSR. Going to be 2-3 weeks before I can get back up there to pick it up.

The part of this that bothers me is that the USCG info shows that they have been aware of this recall almost 2 years, but MC is just now sending out recall letters. Why is that? On top of that, why did they wait to send recall letters out till the beginning of boating season? Our letter is dated 4/2/2012. They could have sent this out over the winter, so none of us would loose time on the water.

93Prostar190
04-09-2012, 05:42 PM
Hey guys ..... I have an 2008 214 ... and I got this recent letter also. I also recall (pun intended) that we received a letter last year on this same/similar issue.

I had that repair made on my boat .... the dealer mounted a plate on the bottom of the tank to protect it in case of contact by the rudder arm.

It seems that this 2nd letter is along the same lines but it almost indicates that the tank may move? and a "block" is needed to correct that?

I am going to speak to my dealer this week and try to clarify ... maybe the 1st repair was the one they are doing now? or this is a 2nd recall about 2 very similar things. What do you guys think?

93Prostar190
04-21-2012, 03:59 PM
Update - had my recall performed yesterday ...... basically the installation of a half moon shaped piece that helps keep the tank from moving. Basically a spacer needs to be installed ..... not a big deal .... it does make it easier if the tank is empty or so .. since they need to lift the gas tank a bit to insert the spacer.

gts-20
04-21-2012, 04:19 PM
Update - had my recall performed yesterday ...... basically the installation of a half moon shaped piece that helps keep the tank from moving. Basically a spacer needs to be installed ..... not a big deal .... it does make it easier if the tank is empty or so .. since they need to lift the gas tank a bit to insert the spacer.

Thanks for the info. Ours is at TSR getting done this week along with some other service.

gts-20
04-26-2012, 07:13 PM
Just got off the phone with TSR. They got the recall done for us, as well as some other minor things done, but they need to keep our boat for another week to give their gel coat guy time to get a spider crack @ the tower leg repaired, and to get the bottom of the boat buffed and polished from a previous warranty repair (We picked it up before they could finsh after repairing some blisters). So 2 more weekends without the boat. :-(

At least I have a MC dealer that takes great care of us and even better care of our boat.

thanks TSR. You :headbang:

tommyadrian5
04-26-2012, 08:15 PM
Got my certified mail notice for it too. No big deal since mine is headed in for de-winterization and an oil change this week anyway.

Off topic, but why not get the oil changed when it is winterized. Better for the boat (used oil is actually corrosive) and saves a second trip to the dealer.

'Dewinterization' typically involves putting the battery in, turning the key, and starting the boat. Paying for it is silly.

eficalibrator
04-30-2012, 11:04 AM
Off topic, but why not get the oil changed when it is winterized. Better for the boat (used oil is actually corrosive) and saves a second trip to the dealer.

'Dewinterization' typically involves putting the battery in, turning the key, and starting the boat. Paying for it is silly.

Ideally, it would have been done that way. For some reason they didn't do the oil change in the fall, but it only had maybe 20hrs on it since the last change in the summer so I'm not losing sleep over it. The bill for "summerization" (including the oil change) was fairly inexpensive anyway. As long as it's still under warranty, the dealership is doing 100% of the service. When the warranty runs out, I'll be turning the wrenches.

MSwatter
07-14-2012, 08:39 PM
Sounds like you guys lucked out. My local dealer went to do the recall and found the fuel tank had a hole rubbed in it. As you guys know they need to split the hull to change the tank and im without a boat for a month. Im at this point I dont want the boat back. Does anyone know how to contact mastercraft directly? So far I have been unsuccesful.

Thanks Mike

bcd
07-14-2012, 10:48 PM
(423) 884-2221
Ask for customer service. Chances are you'll get redirected and it will go to voicemail. You can leave a message and hope they call back. Otherwise you can call back and ask to hold until someone is available.

93Prostar190
07-14-2012, 11:00 PM
Wow. I am very sorry to hear that ..... The rubbed out hole is that from the rudder arm? Or something else?

nauti-dreamer
07-15-2012, 01:09 AM
We had our fuel tank replaced as well. Had it done in spring of 2010. Dealer and MC took care of everything.

JohnE
07-15-2012, 10:30 AM
Sounds like you guys lucked out. My local dealer went to do the recall and found the fuel tank had a hole rubbed in it. As you guys know they need to split the hull to change the tank and im without a boat for a month. Im at this point I dont want the boat back. Does anyone know how to contact mastercraft directly? So far I have been unsuccesful.

Thanks Mike

Wow, that stinks! Sorry to read this. But they are going to fix the problem, why wouldn't you want it back?

Lars
07-15-2012, 11:47 AM
How could they make a boat that requires disassembly of the hull to replace the gas tank?

lettmeknow
07-15-2012, 12:59 PM
Probably doesnt want it back so he can get a new boat instead of being without for a month during prime boating season.

MSwatter
07-15-2012, 02:33 PM
Thanks for the contact info. The hole was from the rudder arm. Im pissed off at MC because my dealer just got word of the recall in May but it sounds like some guys got the recall fix done almost 2 years ago. Im hoping to get a deal on a trade for a new x14 through my dealer and MC. In the meantime ill be sitting on the dock :mad:

Voodoo
07-15-2012, 02:40 PM
How could they make a boat that requires disassembly of the hull to replace the gas tank?

No sh1t...I was wondering the same thing.