PDA

View Full Version : repacking the stuffing box?

CTPJ
08-15-2005, 11:43 AM
I need to repack the stuffing box on my '94 205 and I have a couple of questions. 1) What size cord should I use? 2) Do I cut the cord for each rap around the shaft or only cut it once it has been rapped serveral time? 3) Speaking of which, how many time should the cord be rapped around? Thanks for the help.

Todd

Kell
08-15-2005, 01:17 PM
I need to repack the stuffing box on my '94 205 and I have a couple of questions. 1) What size cord should I use? 2) Do I cut the cord for each rap around the shaft or only cut it once it has been rapped serveral time? 3) Speaking of which, how many time should the cord be rapped around? Thanks for the help.

Todd

I replaced mine last fall, and what a PITA project. I've got a v-drive and access is very limited. In any event, call Vince at DIM and he'll tell you what size of packing rope, which by the way is very inexpensive. You will want to wrap the new packing rope once around the shaft, mark with a sharpee, and then cut at a 45 degree angle with a razor blade. You'll need 2-3 single wraps using this method. also the but joints for each wrap need to be spaced so they don't overlap. Hope this helps.