PDA

View Full Version : Setting up bunks on boat lift for 2006 X2

bfinley
04-04-2012, 10:23 PM
I just bought a used Shorestation 50120 Boat Lift for my 2006 X2. How do I set up the bunks? How far should I have them spread apart? Do I need a stop for the boat on the front? How have others done this?

Thanks in advance,

Brandon

east tx skier
04-04-2012, 11:03 PM
If you have a trailer, just copy the length, spacing, and twist of those bunks. Stop is probably not necessary.

barefoot
04-04-2012, 11:11 PM
Yup, that's all I did.

bfinley
04-04-2012, 11:55 PM
That's the problem. My trailer has 4 bunks, 2 that are 12.5" apart, and run from the bow, back about 12 feet. And then 2 that are 38.5" apart that run from the stern and are about 6 feet long. My boat lift only has 2 bunks.

east tx skier
04-05-2012, 12:13 AM
Can you get some twist in them? Check your manual. There's a surface area coverage listed in my old manual. Figure out where the stringers are in the rear and use that for your spacing using 2x6s. Run the bunks forward and get enough twist to contour to the hull about 90% the length of the boat (as for length, think of it as enough that if the boat somehow tipped forward (unlikely), it would roll onto bunks that it was not already touching).

Example. This lift was designed for a 98 205 based on the exact trailer bunk measurements sans v-bunk, but works fine for a 93 205 and a 98 SN.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-5I6zqGHqZ5g/TaJ48i1l76I/AAAAAAAAD1g/fv4DS5IVUtI/s1152/IMAG0049.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-BoFEwTkOE34/TaJ5SziKhgI/AAAAAAAAD00/mt3zBaOMkqw/s1024/IMAG0050.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-vVkSEYznC3I/T30NPY1lIqI/AAAAAAAAE58/ddeWzoebweg/s800/IMG_4263.JPG

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-DjgDIuMpNKs/T30M9kg0ZqI/AAAAAAAAE5s/TBdBQ-_ES-s/s800/IMG_4259.JPG

zamboniman
04-07-2012, 02:51 PM
Please report back with what you end up with. Ill be tackling this same issue and same hull in a couple weeks. Both dimensions seem to be a compromise in some way and looking at the trailer and hull its easy to see why its setup that way. That said its hard to determine which would be right when only using two bunks. There's a potential water pickup issue either way one being much more critical obviously ... and the stepped hull. One set of bunks is supporting the basic hull weight and the other the engine weight.

Fast50dad
04-07-2012, 04:13 PM
I just bought a used Shorestation 50120 Boat Lift for my 2006 X2. How do I set up the bunks? How far should I have them spread apart? Do I need a stop for the boat on the front? How have others done this?

Thanks in advance,

Brandon

We put a bow stop on our lift and it's perfect, no more lining up the boat on when to stop. I don't know what brand we bought, just used a local lift dealer. Ours was $600 installed. Looks like I may have overpaid, as these are cheaper. Oh my pre-TT days of ignorance...

This looks a lot like ours: http://www.boatliftanddock.com/p-508-shore-station-bow-stop.aspx

Go luck!

bfinley
04-07-2012, 09:50 PM
I found this link in a previous thread, although I can't tell what he did: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=19130

I think I'm going to try to them at 38.5" wide. I'll post how it worked.

Brandon

CantRepeat
04-07-2012, 10:12 PM
Doug, I don't know how old those photos are but that boat looks damn good! I've always like the cover!

bturner2
04-08-2012, 08:48 AM
I know this is from a distance but this is how my ShoreStation is set up for my 07 X2. This is how the dealer told me to set it up. The keel is the strongest part of the hull. The further you move from the keel the weaker in comparison the hull is and is more likely to flex. The bunks were set up to hold the boat within the first set of strakes. When correctly positioned the bunks will hold the boat within these strakes. This is not the definitive answer but it is how and why I was told to set it up this way and it has worked well the past three seasons.....

Fast50dad
04-08-2012, 07:07 PM
Here's pics of the bowstop we had installed, works great.

bfinley
04-17-2012, 12:20 AM
Hey bturner2 - any idea how far apart your bunks are? Are they the same on the front and the back?

Brandon

zamboniman
05-04-2012, 03:35 PM
Hey bturner2 - any idea how far apart your bunks are? Are they the same on the front and the back?

Brandon

+2 on this....

I'm going through it currently... Started getting it setup yesterday. There's a lot to negotiate here. Avoiding the water pickup staying within the strakes then there is the stepped hull and the ideal config for the back would be the wider bunks like the trailer but not possible with the lift bunks. I'm still tweaking I guess I'll let you know what I come up with but if there is any insight or measurements that would be great.

zamboniman
05-04-2012, 03:36 PM
I know this is from a distance but this is how my ShoreStation is set up for my 07 X2. This is how the dealer told me to set it up. The keel is the strongest part of the hull. The further you move from the keel the weaker in comparison the hull is and is more likely to flex. The bunks were set up to hold the boat within the first set of strakes. When correctly positioned the bunks will hold the boat within these strakes. This is not the definitive answer but it is how and why I was told to set it up this way and it has worked well the past three seasons.....

Looks like your in the first strakes centered.. and that they split a bit wider towards the back? Did you do anything about missing the water pickup?

So I now have it tweaked to perfection.... Yes inside the first ones with a taper to wider configuration toward the rear. Sits real nice. Just have to pull in my guide ons a bit and engineer my custom canopy. Getting closer

bturner2
05-05-2012, 09:26 AM
You are correct. Haven't had any problems with this set up so far. Just put the boat back on the lift for the first time this season yesterday.

zamboniman
05-08-2012, 03:31 PM
Progress on my end.. I can at least get it out of the water now.
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg14/zamboniman1/lift.jpg
Next on to getting my canopy fitted and mounted correctly.

jamisonsbrodie
05-08-2012, 04:01 PM
Don't waste your money on a bow stop, as it's really easy to pick a spot and line it up. Use the money towards a canopy if you don't already have one, you won't regret it!

zamboniman
05-08-2012, 05:13 PM
Don't waste your money on a bow stop, as it's really easy to pick a spot and line it up. Use the money towards a canopy if you don't already have one, you won't regret it!

Canopy is sitting in my garage as a pile of aluminum waiting for a couple free nice weather hours to align between me and a helper.

zamboniman
05-21-2012, 01:10 AM
You are correct. Haven't had any problems with this set up so far. Just put the boat back on the lift for the first time this season yesterday.

I'm still toying with exactly how I want the boat to sit on the lift overall. How far ahead are you pulling onto the bunks? Do you have the back of the boat all the way even with the end of the lift hanging the front out quite a bit?

I'm balancing a few different variables and life would be much easier if a foot or 2 were able to hang off the back of the lift. That would leave some engine weight past the bunks but have the boat still centered to slightly forward. 1 this would allow me to setup the canopy a bit more centered so it would be stronger not hanging out front way past the last support and 2 gives me a bit more room to work with regarding lake depth or lack there of. My water dropped about 6 inches over the week now I can barely get it off the bunks without some effort. I'm thinking of dropping the bunks a setting to gain a couple inches too. My lift dealer set me up with the taller "ski bunk bracket" blindly off of the type of boat. Probably a good thing considering buffer room for the prop shaft but also they are meant to clear tracking fins which I don't have so I think I can cheat it a bit and drop the bunks.

zamboniman
05-21-2012, 01:13 AM

A simple side picture would be super helpful

bturner2
05-21-2012, 08:37 AM
Yours looks to be sitting just like mine now. I've toyed with where to position the boat from to rear and have pretty much settled with the from vertical post of the lift sitting even with the forward most part of the dash. This seems to support the maximum amount of the hull for support, at least with my shorestation.

zamboniman
05-21-2012, 09:32 AM
So on the shore station where does the back post end up relative to back of boat?