PDA

View Full Version : Pontoon Boats

Slinkyredfoot
04-04-2012, 07:59 PM
We are getting ready to buy a new toon. After all of the stuff, 8 out of our 10 things we wanted led us to buy a Bennington, any thoughts comments? .... seems like the MasterCraft of funtoons. :D

Fast50dad
04-04-2012, 08:14 PM
My in-laws have a Premier, absolutely love it. Have a 90 on it and is perfect for 'funtoonin' around the lake.

CruisinGA
04-04-2012, 10:58 PM
Our neighbor has a Bennington... Very nice poontoon. That's also my understanding that they are supposed to be some of the best.

IMO- get an outboard, not I/O. No winterizing, let's you extend the season, less maintenance.

pram
04-05-2012, 12:15 AM
Pontoons are the schnizzle

If I didn't water ski, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that I would have a kick you know what pontoon

The Benningtons are the top for sure

j.robinson389
04-05-2012, 06:59 AM
Are you looking for one to just put around the lake, or a performance tritoon style?

I have heard really good things about Manitou Pontoons, their SHP (Sport Handling Package IIRC) is really impressive using their "V-toon" design.

btw, I do not own any brand of pontoon.

barefoot
04-05-2012, 09:19 AM
My folks have a Bennington. Fit and finish is beautiful. One thing I like about Bennington's is the seating arrangement. Really beneficial to talking/drinking/floating/etc.

I think they have a 40hp Honda off the back. Super quite

gatorguy
04-05-2012, 09:23 AM
Pontoons are the schnizzle

If I didn't water ski, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that I would have a kick you know what pontoon

The Benningtons are the top for sure

Saw a guy slaloming off the back of a toon last season. So, what's stopping you?:D

erkoehler
04-05-2012, 09:32 AM
Bennington is good, what boat/motor combo are you thinking?

captain planet
04-05-2012, 11:04 AM
JC is the way to go if you want the MC of pontoon boats....if you like pontoon boats.

blakehardesty
04-05-2012, 11:19 AM
Both myself and my parents both chose premier boats over the benningtons. Cost was very similar.

bobx1
04-05-2012, 11:21 AM
I put far more hours each year on our toon than the MC as I am too anal about dock rash, dirt, etc. Toons are a stress free boat because there is not much that can go wrong, everthing is simple, and just about anyone can work on the engine. I keep it in the water 9 months out of the year and wash/wax twice a year.

Since the MC is used for wakeboarding, skiing, and the occassional tube (dont give me a hard time), we did not need to go with a tri-toon high horsepower performance boat - we use it to just to cruise around. As with any boat, you need to decide what you are going to use it for. Here is a very basic and general checklist:

Will you use for watersports? (3 vs 2 logs and HP)
Will you trailer often and if so, how far? (length/size)
Will you use it on a large body of water? (3 vs 2 logs and HP)
Can the body of water get rough? (3 vs 2 logs and HP)
Will you fish out of it often? (seating arrangements, carpet, batteries, trolling motor, etc.)
How many people will typically be on the boat? (length/size)
Will you take long cruises, cook on it, etc.? (length/size, seating layout, etc.)

I purchased a new Bentley in 2007 (20' with 50hp Mercc 4-stroke "Big Foot"). While I liked the boat, I got what I paid for as it was cheap. Last year, after much searching, I upgraded to a SouthBay 522CR with 4-stroke 115 Mercury. The fit/finish on the boat is far superior to the Bentley. I would consider SouthBay a good mid-tier boat but for our use (right now) it fit the bill and I the dealer is great.

As with any boat, there are low-end, mid-tier, and upper end boats and usually the boats considered "mid-tier" also have uppper end models. If you are going with high HP, a lot of space, and high HP you will tend to be pushed into the mid-tier and upper-end boats. Bennington makes a great boat along with Harris Flote Boat, JC, Manitou, Premier, SouthBay, Aqua Patio, etc. You will see noticable differences in gate quality, helm quality, furniture comfort and vinyl, hardware, etc. between the different tiers.

IMPORTANT - My first toon was carpeted but I opted for snap-in/out carpet on the SouthBay and after about 3 weeks I took the carpet out and never put it back in. Get the snap-in/out carpet or dont the get carpet at all.

bobx1
04-05-2012, 11:38 AM
Both myself and my parents both chose premier boats over the benningtons. Cost was very similar.

Did you guys get the Grand Entertainer?

http://pontoons.com/luxury/entertainer/gallery.php

Matt@semmergroup.com
04-05-2012, 11:40 AM
Saw that boat at the Minneapolis boast show this year. NICE!

Lars
04-05-2012, 08:07 PM
I used to work for Sea-Legs (http://www.sea-legs.com) installing the lifts on the pontoons, so I've been underneath just about all brands of Pontoons. In my experience, you can get either a Premier or a Bennington. The furniture is Bennington is top notch, though I'm a little partial to premier since they're made in MN and I've done work at the factory.

Slinkyredfoot
04-05-2012, 08:27 PM
Bennington is good, what boat/motor combo are you thinking?

115HP Merc, 22 ft. no performance tubes, just a good cruiser for grand kids, dogs, beer, fun and frivolity. We opted for the extended swim platform aft, upgraded stereo, and custom touches all around. We have been spoiled, we also own a MasterCraft. :D

coz
04-05-2012, 10:01 PM
JC is the way to go if you want the MC of pontoon boats....if you like pontoon boats.

We have a JC tri-toon and they ride a lot better than the pontoons IMO, kinda like a dd compared to a v, Bennington's are nice though and you'll enjoy it I'm sure.

zamboniman
04-05-2012, 10:14 PM
Can't believe it no one's said it...

What ya gonna do with a pontoon boat Chet? Retake Omaha beach? What you need is a jet boat!

Classic movie classic scene ... every time someone says pontoon I can't help but think of it.

-V-
04-05-2012, 10:56 PM
so would these be out of the question?

jafo9
04-06-2012, 06:13 AM
It sounds like you already ordered the bennie. hard to go wrong. great quality boat. if i were buying new, i'd option the double bimini. the bimini on our 25ft premier is huge, but it sure would be nice on some days to be able to cover all the seats. especially for the kids. if you go with the double bimini you could also go crazy and add in the side panels to make a floating campground.

zamboniman
04-06-2012, 04:21 PM
so would these be out of the question?

Dude on my lake has a tri toon with a v8 and IO drive on it. Not sure how fast it goes but he goes by like your standing still when rolling 40 or so.