PDA

View Full Version : Trailer tires - check your lug nut size!

Kevin 89MC
08-15-2005, 12:17 PM
So there I was, at the boat launch early on Friday evening, to dial in Perfect Pass before my sister and bro in law show up. I get out to load the ski stuff into the boat, and I can actually see and hear my trailer tire deflating. There was some big piece of metal sunk into the tire. I thought of putting the boat in, then changing the tire, but thought I better get it changed first. I pull forward 50 feet, to get it to level ground, and the tire gets pretty much destroyed in the process. Get my lug wrench out of my truck and realize it's too small! It's a private lake, so there is no one around for miles. The sister & BIL show up 45 min later, we get it changed, and get our skiing in. Get two new Goodyear Marathons installed Saturday (they were pretty old anyways) and I'm good to go (less $230).
Moral of the story, check to make sure your tow vehicle has the same size lug nuts as your boat, or buy another lug wrench for your trailer like I will now do. My current truck is a Chev Trailblazer (work truck), and I used to tow with a '96 Land Cruiser (wife's truck). The LC lugs are the same size, but the TB has smaller ones. Having a spare doesn't help if you can't get it on!
Kevin

MarkP
08-15-2005, 12:20 PM
I keep the breaker bar and appropriate size socket in the tool kit.

Cloaked
08-16-2005, 06:42 PM
^ ^ ^ keeps a 4-way lug wrench... :steering: :banana:

erkoehler
08-16-2005, 06:45 PM
:steering: Mine from my durango fits the trailer :D