PDA

View Full Version : Keel bunk repair

Brian B
04-04-2012, 04:17 PM
The carpeting on my keel bunk is coming off. I'm told I cannot just buy the assembly and it will have to be repaired, and will require a special staple gun with stainless steel staples. Mastercraft dealer says "come on down" lol

What have you guys done? I suppose my only opportunity to do this repair is at the lake with the boat launched......

mattb
04-04-2012, 04:59 PM
You can buy stainless steel staples on sites like overtons.com. I think they are around $10-15 and should fit most any staple gun. Just double check the sizes between the staple and the gun.

jab
04-04-2012, 05:07 PM
Just get some outdoor carpet and some staples for electrical wiring. The reason to use stainless is because the green treated lumber will eventually eat through galvanized ones. I usually just use the double galvanized staples and replace the carpet every 5-6 years. To make the change out quicker I buy green treated boards too and have the assembly ready to mount before I get to the lake.

psychobilly
04-04-2012, 05:11 PM
There are several options. SS staples as suggested above and prolly your best and cheapest fix if your boards are still in good shape.

If boards are in they're way out like mine were you can do a few things. I bought the ultimate bunk boards and there's no carpet to come loose, no wood to rot and way easier load and unload. There's also a plastic bunk cover that gets attached with SS screws. That's what I have seen a lot of the guys on the coast are use'n.

east tx skier
04-04-2012, 05:23 PM
The composite bunks on my old trailer were crumbling. I replaced with treated plywood and used olefin marine carpet from Lowe's. Nothing special about the staple gun I used. Just a $12 Stanley light duty staple gun. Got the stainless staples for it from Lowe's as well (Arrow brand). My bunk carpet on two different trailers has held up fine using this staple gun and staples.

psychobilly
04-04-2012, 06:15 PM
The composite bunks on my old trailer were crumbling.
that's why I'm really for these UBBs. They're all plastic, nothing to crumble, and nothing to rot. You can even ask GTS-20, he watched me crank that big ole 24 footer up on the trailer last Sunday as she was dead in the wader :-( but it launches and loads sooooo easy. No scratches either, I checked cuz I was worried bout that.