PDA

View Full Version : Mastercraft cruise control

Matt@semmergroup.com
04-04-2012, 11:26 AM
My newly acquired 2006 X1 has the Mastercraft Cruise control. I haven't had a lot of experience using it. Maybe once I get used to it I'll like it better but for now I strongly prefer the perfect pass I had in my previous bout. What would it take to change it to something like Perfect pass? Obviously the gauge, but are some that will be more interchangeable?

Are there any tips to using the Mastercraft Cruise control? I mess with it for 20 minutes and seem to get it to work but it hasn't been simple so far.

matt

east tx skier
04-04-2012, 11:36 AM
For perfect pass, you would need a master module for the dbw setup, a gauge, and a wiring harness to do wakeboard pro. Depends on which PP system. SG would require a GPS antenna, but you wouldn't have to tie into the paddle wheel.

CantRepeat
04-04-2012, 12:33 PM
And more then likely you'd need to get your ECM flashed to work with PP, at least I had to on my 06.

The only tip I have for MC cruise is use the RPM mode. You'll never get it to work like PP, sorry.

bobx1
04-04-2012, 12:36 PM
I came from NO speed control so Master Cruise has been great for me. Perfect Pass is obviously better and may be worth the upgrade for those that have used it before.

As for using Master Cruise, I have had zero problems. I use the MPH mode for wakeboarding and always toggle the +/- to change speed settting BEFORE I take off. Also, Master Cruise does not reactivate after turning the boat off so you have to turn it back on after you kill the boat (i.e. to switch riders). Also, Master Cruise tends to overshoot so you have to feather the throttle a bit so you dont have wide swings in speed prior to it settleing in.

Matt@semmergroup.com
04-04-2012, 01:00 PM
Thanks for the input. Looks like it won't be a simple change to PP. Hoped I could get away with using much of the existing MC CC equipment but it's not sounding that way.

I'll keep trying to get use to it and give the RPM a shot.

Matt

Thrall
04-04-2012, 01:30 PM
My buddy has Cruise on his X 15. I have PP on my X2.
I found the Cruise to work very well. Not as nice as PP, IMO, but it held speed fine in speed mode for boarding speeds.
I found that if you throttled back to close to your target rpms for the speed set, after coming out of the hole, the Cruise would lock right on the correct speed. If you jsut left your rpms higher and let the Cruise lock onto it, it would overshoot the speed by several mph and take a while to settle in on the right speed.
It even held good in speed mode at surf speeds. Don't think I even used rpm mode at all.
I guess I'd prefer PP, but for recreational watersports Iwouldn't go through the trouble switching to PP if it didn't come with the boat.

NatesGr8
04-04-2012, 01:38 PM
i've never gotten my mc cruise to work properly. I've tried following the instructions from the manual but can't seem to get it right. Anybody have a list for me to follow?

east tx skier
04-04-2012, 02:38 PM
Thanks for the input. Looks like it won't be a simple change to PP. Hoped I could get away with using much of the existing MC CC equipment but it's not sounding that way.

I'll keep trying to get use to it and give the RPM a shot.

Matt

Because you have "drive by wire" on your 06, installing Perfect Pass is pretty simple. There's not servo linkage to mess with and running wires to the bilge. It's expensive. But installation would be much easier.

Can'tRepeat, that's the first I've heard about a reflash for an 06. Did yours have MC Cruise initially?

93Prostar190
04-04-2012, 02:57 PM
I have heard that some years maybe 2006 requires a re-flash ... I am about to perform the upgrade from MC Cruise on my 2008 to PP DBW and I don't expect I will need to re-flash.

I will report back my findings.

On a side note MC Cruise holds speed pretty darn well .... not slalom course well (even we use it for that.) but pretty darn well especially for the tricks, wake, and knee board.

Just my $0.02 ...... (in case he is reading this ... Double D owes me a beer!)

CantRepeat
04-04-2012, 03:22 PM
Because you have "drive by wire" on your 06, installing Perfect Pass is pretty simple. There's not servo linkage to mess with and running wires to the bilge. It's expensive. But installation would be much easier.

Can'tRepeat, that's the first I've heard about a reflash for an 06. Did yours have MC Cruise initially?

Eastie, my 06 did come with MC cruise in it. In fact, it's still in there. All I had to do was order the PP Stargazer system and plug it in to the pre wired plug under the dash. I then had to take the boat up to Rambo so they could reflash the ECM to work with PP. There are two different calibration files for the 05/06 ECMs.

The MC Cruise is MCXMC53.CAL and the PP is MCXPP55.CAL

There was some confusion when I was talking to the PP tech on weather or not I would have to get a reflash. PP called Indmar and talk to them about the cal files and Indmar indicated there were two different CAL files.

I download ALL of the CAL files that Indmar has online and for the 05/06 year each engine has two CAL files, one for PP and one for MC cruise.

CantRepeat
04-04-2012, 03:23 PM
I have heard that some years maybe 2006 requires a re-flash ... I am about to perform the upgrade from MC Cruise on my 2008 to PP DBW and I don't expect I will need to re-flash.

I will report back my findings.

On a side note MC Cruise holds speed pretty darn well .... not slalom course well (even we use it for that.) but pretty darn well especially for the tricks, wake, and knee board.

Just my $0.02 ...... (in case he is reading this ... Double D owes me a beer!)

Looking in the 08 CAL folder I see 4 files it appears it's for 4 different engines and not Cruise vs PP.

Well there are four 08 folders MEFI 5B, Reduced Post Cat Sensitivity Calibrations, 2008 MC CALIBRATIONS and SAV1 and 2 Calibrations.

If you have a MEFI 5B it appears you need 53C7 13-Jul-07 Perfectpass twin mcxb26.cal

bobx1
04-04-2012, 03:48 PM
i've never gotten my mc cruise to work properly. I've tried following the instructions from the manual but can't seem to get it right. Anybody have a list for me to follow?

As stated, I use in MPH mode and never have problems.

1 - turn on the boat

2 - toggle MC Cruise to "ON"

3 - toggle MC Cruise to "MPH" (it will stay there so no need to do this each time)

4 - toggle MC Cruise "+/-" switch to desired MPH (which is displaying on the LCD screen underneath the gauges). Depending on the rider, I use anywhere from 19.5mph to 21.5mph.

5 - pull rider out of the water. If you gun it to full throttle then it will overshoot but will eventually settle back to the desired mph. The key here is to throttle up PAST (preferably slightly) the speed/rpm/throttle position but not too much or it will overshoot and tick the rider off.

IMPORTANT - if you turn the boat off, you must go through the above steps again (each time).

CantRepeat
04-04-2012, 04:09 PM
As stated, I use in MPH mode and never have problems.

1 - turn on the boat

2 - toggle MC Cruise to "ON"

3 - toggle MC Cruise to "MPH" (it will stay there so no need to do this each time)

4 - toggle MC Cruise "+/-" switch to desired MPH (which is displaying on the LCD screen underneath the gauges). Depending on the rider, I use anywhere from 19.5mph to 21.5mph.

5 - pull rider out of the water. If you gun it to full throttle then it will overshoot but will eventually settle back to the desired mph. The key here is to throttle up PAST (preferably slightly) the speed/rpm/throttle position but not too much or it will overshoot and tick the rider off.

IMPORTANT - if you turn the boat off, you must go through the above steps again (each time).

On my MC cruise, if I set it a MPH or RPM and went full throttle it would never come back down to the set speed. With PP I can set it at any speed and just mash the gas then it beep when it takes control and sit right at the set speed.

east tx skier
04-04-2012, 04:10 PM
Eastie, my 06 did come with MC cruise in it. In fact, it's still in there. All I had to do was order the PP Stargazer system and plug it in to the pre wired plug under the dash. I then had to take the boat up to Rambo so they could reflash the ECM to work with PP. There are two different calibration files for the 05/06 ECMs.

The MC Cruise is MCXMC53.CAL and the PP is MCXPP55.CAL

There was some confusion when I was talking to the PP tech on weather or not I would have to get a reflash. PP called Indmar and talk to them about the cal files and Indmar indicated there were two different CAL files.

I download ALL of the CAL files that Indmar has online and for the 05/06 year each engine has two CAL files, one for PP and one for MC cruise.

Interesting. I learn something new every day.