PDA

View Full Version : 84 ss steering wheel sticks

millpondkid
04-04-2012, 09:24 AM
Hey fellas I just purchased an 84 stars and stripes this past weekend. Iv been around boats and water my whole life so I'm very comfortable around it. I do have my first question though. When the wheel is turned all the way to the left the wheel sticks, iv disconnected the steering arm from the rudder and the rudder moves freely I also crawled under the wheel and disasembled the gear box greased and sprayed the cable, and it still sticks any ideas????? Thanks.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-04-2012, 10:07 AM
Does the wheel still stick with the rudder disconnected from the cable? Sounds like a cable replacement is likely in your future. Simple enough job and a cable from SKIDIM is pretty cheap.

keith3613
04-04-2012, 11:07 AM
I own a 1984 also. Mine was sticking and I found out that there was corrosion (rust) inside the guide tube at the rear of the cable. I cleaned out the rust and repainted the inside of the tube. The problem was gone. Plus,you don’t have to replace the steering wheel and related parts if it begins to get stiff. A boat shop in California has a supplier that makes the cables for them. You can call Gayle Brantuk 562-630-6258 about a Steermaster cable at Boat Designs.com. http://www.boatdesigns.com/Steermaster-Mark-III-Cable-14/productinfo/90-204214/
I’ve owned my 1984 since it was new. If you have questions send me an email at keith.a.flud@lmco.com. I’ve tried to keep up with parts and problem solutions over the years.

markismm
04-04-2012, 12:49 PM
In my opinion you will be best served by buying the replacement cable from the link suggested above. They are the only ones that sell that exact replacement cable. I have refurbed mine before. It last for a couple of seasons and then got stiff again. If you buy a new cable it will come with a zirc fitting unlike the original cable that will allow you to grease the inside of the cable as a winterization item. You will never have to fool with replacing it again or attempting another refurb. Well worth the money to keep the original helm and style of the boat.

tph
04-04-2012, 01:24 PM
Then again, you may want to put the $$ towards a tilt wheel setup:

millpondkid
04-04-2012, 01:35 PM
Thanks for the advice guys, yes the wheel still sticks with the rudder disconnected and only when its turned all the way to the left otherwise it turns freely. When its sticking it kinda sounds like its around the wheel but ill also disconnect near the rear steering bar and see if its internal there. If I work the wheel back and forth in quick quarter turns it seems to loosen up a bit, then if I stop and start the turn again its pretty tightly stuck. Ill keep ya posted. Thanks again.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-04-2012, 02:26 PM
I replaced the helm and cable recently. Best move I ever made. Turns like a dream now.

millpondkid
04-04-2012, 11:56 PM
Ok guys I took apart the cable at the rear and removed the guide tube and found the inside of the tube rusted like keith had posted I cleaned the inside of the guide tube and greased the cable and it turns perfect now no more sticking. The guide tube looks as if it could be replaced because of the rust buildup inside. And during the process of trying to remove the cable from the guide tube I slammed it on my inner thumb so as far as blood sweat and tears go I have the blood part covered less then a week of owning the boat. Bring on the sweat and tears now....thanks again everyone you saved me from climbing under the wheel again. This site rocks.

millpondkid
04-05-2012, 10:37 AM
Also if I replace the guide tube should I pack it with some grease or just grease the moving cables and stearing arm?????? The guide tube appears to be a part I could have made at the hardware store?????? Any thoughts?

glgisler
04-08-2012, 02:09 PM
You might call Discount Inboard Marine - they have a steering cable support tube in their catalog and would probably know if it's compatible with your components.

keith3613
04-08-2012, 03:03 PM
The best product I’ve found to prevent rust is POR-15. Buy the starter kit and paint the tube inside and out. It will never rust again. Buy the way; if you ever need any dash switches for a 1984-85, I have new ones for sale. I can be contacted at keith.a.flud@lmco.com.