PDA

View Full Version : Monza First Ride

BrianM
08-15-2005, 11:04 AM
Well I finally got my bindings in and was able to take the Monza out for its first ride yesterday. Man is this ski fast. It get cross course extremly fast and carrys the width really well through the pre turn or glide after pulling out for the gates. Turns are immediate. I think I had the bindings a little far forward because it was biting really hard on my off side. I moved them back a touch and will give it another ride tomorrow.

The Fluid Motion bindings are really nice. They are going to take a bit of getting used to but the response under foot is great. Added bonus is they are extremely comfortable and no lube.

Here is a pic.

PeteS
08-15-2005, 11:13 AM
Sick set up, Brian.

PendO
08-15-2005, 11:34 AM
how much did you have to mess with the setup of the fin?

MarkP
08-15-2005, 11:45 AM
Nice Brian.. I have to tell you Iím a little jealous

BrianM
08-15-2005, 12:11 PM
how much did you have to mess with the setup of the fin?

I have not messed with the fin at all. I just moved the bindings back 1/8" because it was biting really hard on the off side. What I was told was to dial in the bindings then adjust fin if necessary. I had the bindings right at stock but after reading the directions for the bindings they say to run 1/8" back from reccomended because they force your foot a bit farther forward. I really think the ski is going to ride nearly perfect after the binding move. I'll find out tomorrow.

MarkP
08-15-2005, 12:14 PM
Can we expect some, on the water shots??

BriEOD
08-15-2005, 02:52 PM
Wow that's awesome!

BrianM
08-17-2005, 11:59 AM
Just an update for anyone that cares. Rode the ski again after moving the bindings back as I talked about above and it skied great. Took away the off side bite. Turns are now nice and smooth on both sides. Ski gets lots of angle and then gets cross course fast. Heat molded the bindings as well and now they fit absolutely perfect. Happy happy.:D

Jorski
08-17-2005, 12:27 PM
Cool work, thanks for the update ! I think that there are a number of us that would be interested in further updates.

Jordan

shepherd
08-17-2005, 06:40 PM
Nice ride Brian! Looks like you got a real slalom "machine" there. Once again, you guys got me thinking about a new ski. The old '99 KD 7000 may be ready for retirement...

For comparison purposes, what level are you skiing at? My PB so far is 4 at 28 off. I wonder if the Monza would help boost things a bit -- I was thinking about the CDX...

PeteS
08-18-2005, 09:27 AM
I bought the 9600 a few weeks ago, and was experiencing similar issues with off-side tip bite, to the point of OTF's. With a similiar shape and materials as the Monza, it doesn't surprise me that you have seen the same thing.

I moved my bindings back one hole, or in my case 0.25", and all is well now. The fin is set back to the factory (Rossi) settings, and now skis super consistent and smooth -- without the tip bite. I don't think I'll be messing with the settings for a while. The next step in the spring will be a set of Paul's bindings.

SteveO
08-18-2005, 10:19 AM
Brian nice new set up. What were you on before the Monza?

BrianM
08-18-2005, 11:32 AM
For comparison purposes, what level are you skiing at? My PB so far is 4 at 28 off. I wonder if the Monza would help boost things a bit -- I was thinking about the CDX...

My PB so far is 4 at 32 36mph and from the feel of things I hope to break that in a couple of weeks. My 22s have never been so wide and early. I haven't shortened it further than 22 yet because I am still getting a feel for the ski.

Brian nice new set up. What were you on before the Monza?
KD 7000 with Wileys

PeteS
08-18-2005, 11:40 AM
Let me ask you this, Bry. I'm 26 years old, and ski 22's at 34 MPH. This is my first year skiing the course, and I'm really getting into it and want to progress. None of the guys I ski with do tournaments and they all ski 34 MPH, but maybe I'd like to someday.

Should I be skiing at 36 MPH regardless of my tourney decisions? Give me your thoughts on the subject, as I'm sure it has been debated by yourself.

BrianM
08-18-2005, 12:10 PM
Let me ask you this, Bry. I'm 26 years old, and ski 22's at 34 MPH. This is my first year skiing the course, and I'm really getting into it and want to progress. None of the guys I ski with do tournaments and they all ski 34 MPH, but maybe I'd like to someday.

Should I be skiing at 36 MPH regardless of my tourney decisions? Give me your thoughts on the subject, as I'm sure it has been debated by yourself.

I am 30 and have not yet skied a tournament. I set a personal goal that when I could run 32 better than 50% of the time in practice then I was going to ski some tournaments. So take this for what it is worth which is probably not much.

I would start skiing 36mph. For our age if you are going to be tournament skiing in the next few years that is going to be your top speed (it drops to 34mph when you turn 37 I believe). So in a tournament you are not going to be able to cut the rope until you run a 36mph pass. Next time you go out to the course run your first couple of passes at your 22 34 then bump the speed and let the line out to 15 off. Once you get used to the speed. 34mph will feel like you are crawling.

All of the guys I ski with regularly are older and 34mph skiers. I love giving them a hard time and telling them that they are sking at GIRLS speed :purplaugh

rodltg2
04-24-2006, 02:34 PM
i dont know if you answred this yet or not brian, b ut what ski were you on before? im thinking about trying out the monza. i have a d3 now and ive read somewhere that you are either comfortable on dennis skis or ho skiis.

hacker
04-24-2006, 04:26 PM
I am 30 and have not yet skied a tournament. I set a personal goal that when I could run 32 better than 50% of the time in practice then I was going to ski some tournaments. So take this for what it is worth which is probably not much.

I would start skiing 36mph. For our age if you are going to be tournament skiing in the next few years that is going to be your top speed (it drops to 34mph when you turn 37 I believe). So in a tournament you are not going to be able to cut the rope until you run a 36mph pass. Next time you go out to the course run your first couple of passes at your 22 34 then bump the speed and let the line out to 15 off. Once you get used to the speed. 34mph will feel like you are crawling.

All of the guys I ski with regularly are older and 34mph skiers. I love giving them a hard time and telling them that they are sking at GIRLS speed :purplaugh

You drop to 34 when you turn 35 (Mens 3).

Also I agree with your advice for PeteS. Pete, if you're running 22/34 you probably won't have much trouble at 15/36

Girls speed :D
I know a guy who lists all his club member's PBs on a whiteboard in his "ski shack". Next to some of them is an *. At the bottom of the board he lists: *=girls speed. Heck, he even puts it next to the girl's scores. :uglyhamme

east tx skier
04-24-2006, 04:32 PM
i dont know if you answred this yet or not brian, b ut what ski were you on before? im thinking about trying out the monza. i have a d3 now and ive read somewhere that you are either comfortable on dennis skis or ho skiis.

Rod, I'd heard this with regard to H.O. versus O'Brien and Connely. I'd been on an O'Brien for years and loved my CDX from the first set. Not an apples to apples answer. Brian, is the Monza as tail heavy as H.O.s past?

BrianM
04-24-2006, 05:14 PM
Rod, I'd heard this with regard to H.O. versus O'Brien and Connely. I'd been on an O'Brien for years and loved my CDX from the first set. Not an apples to apples answer. Brian, is the Monza as tail heavy as H.O.s past?

Prior to my KD7000 I was on a much older HO (late 80s vintage). I did not think that it nor the Monza rode all that tail heavy. The Monza rides a bit farther back than my KD but it isn't extreme. My 'syle' seems to be a bit farther back anyway.

rodltg2
04-24-2006, 05:47 PM
well im going to give it try. im not comitted to buy it so i may as well...

PeteS
04-26-2006, 09:27 AM
You drop to 34 when you turn 35 (Mens 3).

Also I agree with your advice for PeteS. Pete, if you're running 22/34 you probably won't have much trouble at 15/36

Girls speed :D
I know a guy who lists all his club member's PBs on a whiteboard in his "ski shack". Next to some of them is an *. At the bottom of the board he lists: *=girls speed. Heck, he even puts it next to the girl's scores. :uglyhamme
Thanks for your input as well. My PB now is 3 at 32 off, 34 mph. I ran my first 15 off at 36 the other day, and I'm thinking of sticking with the new speed.

ski36short
04-26-2006, 10:24 PM
Pete, stick with the speed man. If you can handle buoys at 32 off/34, you can get it done at 36!

We need to get together and ski - Monday I'm going out of town for the better part of two weeks but after that, it's on...

6ballsisall
04-26-2006, 11:47 PM
Tried out the Monza w/ Approach bindings tonight. Wow!! Getting those bindings on is a workout!! :eek: Once on I really liked how they fit.

Conditions weren't ideal by any means but I wanted to ski. Open water skiing with 2" ripples. The ski is WAY different than the Phantom truth I had. Much faster and takes way less effort to turn the the PT. To early to say if I like it, but first time out tells me I did. It's very fast but stable. More to come........

pq2
04-27-2006, 12:23 PM
Today I ski again (5th time after my surgery) and i felt great, I pass the course at 32 and im very happy, my monza is helping a lot, now im sure that it is a ski that likes to go fast, the surgery recovery its good because also helped me to start again from the begining with the new ski. I have a question (dumb one maybe), im attaching the rope from the red part, this is full lenght right?, or the white first part counts. Hope you understand my question, im sorry for my bad english writing. :o

6ballsisall
04-27-2006, 12:32 PM
Question that came to mind about the Monza this morning. Do you guys that ski on the Monza notice that the ski really doesn't "come to life" until about 34 mph? I started out at 32 to get the feel of it and it felt good but not great. (Disclaimer: this could very well be the fact that this was only my second time out this year) but when we cranked it up to 34 it felt much better.

BrianM
04-27-2006, 12:33 PM
The red loop is 15' off. The full line would be the white loop which is 75'. Stick with the red loop.

BrianM
04-27-2006, 12:36 PM
Question that came to mind about the Monza this morning. Do you guys that ski on the Monza notice that the ski really doesn't "come to life" until about 34 mph? I started out at 32 to get the feel of it and it felt good but not great. (Disclaimer: this could very well be the fact that this was only my second time out this year) but when we cranked it up to 34 it felt much better.

I only skied my Monza 2 passes at 32 mph the first time I had it in the water. It definitely feels better at speed. Crank it up to 36 for an even better ride.:eek3:

6ballsisall
04-27-2006, 12:38 PM
I only skied my Monza 2 passes at 32 mph the first time I had it in the water. It definitely feels better at speed. Crank it up to 36 for an even better ride.:eek3:

I plan to this weekend. Don't think I'll get out tonight. I usually ski @ 34 but every once in a while feel saucy and decide to go 36. Maybe the Monza will help me feel saucy more often. :D

east tx skier
04-27-2006, 12:55 PM
I've skied on a couple of skis, albeit older models that didn't like to go slow. Brian, will fin adjustments (assuming boots are already like he wants them) do anything for low speed improvements?

pq2
04-27-2006, 12:55 PM
Thanks Brian, so i`ve being skiing all the time 15 off. Here comes the other question, should i go back to the full rope to start skiing faster?

east tx skier
04-27-2006, 12:58 PM
The way I understand it is that you'll get so much slack at 75' that it's better to stick with 15 off.

BrianM
04-27-2006, 01:10 PM
I've skied on a couple of skis, albeit older models that didn't like to go slow. Brian, will fin adjustments (assuming boots are already like he wants them) do anything for low speed improvements?

I don't really know as I am not a fin tweaker. I think the biggest issue is ski profile and length along with the weight of the skier. These skis like to ride up on top of the water and a slower speed is going to make it sink a bit.

Thanks Brian, so i`ve being skiing all the time 15 off. Here comes the other question, should i go back to the full rope to start skiing faster?

Take the long line section off of your rope and use it for a dock line or something. No need to ski longer than 15' off. Eastie is right you are just going to have way to much rope and slack with a full 75' rope.

east tx skier
04-27-2006, 01:16 PM
I don't really know as I am not a fin tweaker. I think the biggest issue is ski profile and length along with the weight of the skier. These skis like to ride up on top of the water and a slower speed is going to make it sink a bit.

Me neither. The guy who runs the ski school I attend suggested taking a marker and drawing a line along the fin in case it ever got knocked out of stock. I have Rini's specs for my ski and hope I never need them.

I know you read the Nicholl's board. They had a lot of guys on there at one point trying to get their Monza's dialed in right. Sounds as if stock is working well for you though.

pq2
04-27-2006, 01:38 PM
Thanks for the tips guys. :toast:

rodltg2
04-27-2006, 01:42 PM
i'll be trying the monza hopefully this weekend. atteding as clinic tommorow so i will stick to the d3 for that.

PeteS
04-27-2006, 01:54 PM
Me neither. The guy who runs the ski school I attend suggested taking a marker and drawing a line along the fin in case it ever got knocked out of stock. I have Rini's specs for my ski and hope I never need them.

I know you read the Nicholl's board. They had a lot of guys on there at one point trying to get their Monza's dialed in right. Sounds as if stock is working well for you though.
Use a pencil to mark your fin. It won't come off in the water, but will erase if you make changes.

BrianM
04-27-2006, 01:57 PM

Mine is just out of stock settings. The guy that had it before me had done a little tweaking and had the fin just a bit deeper than stock. All other measurements are stock though. I mounted my bindings and had to make a small rearward adjustment to them but besides that I haven't messed with it. Ski works great for me.