PDA

View Full Version : amp mounting in X-2

bcd
04-03-2012, 09:59 PM
I'm getting ready to mount my amps and started looking closer at my mounting location. I was going to mount them over my batteries under the lift up observers seat (which is where I think the factory mount is at). There is a stepped out spot, that I assumed was thicker fiberglass or a wood insert for mounting screws. I looked closer tonight and realized that the stepped out spot was actually to allow the wind block door to be recessed. I'm worried about screw length, having long enough screws to hold the amp, but no too long to break through.

Is that the correct amp mounting location? Any idea how long of screws are used?

AZX9
04-03-2012, 10:12 PM
I would peal some carpet back and see what's doin'

bcd
04-04-2012, 10:20 AM
I've been thinking about this more, and I think the best route to take is to pull the carpet and glue in a backing material to add thickness. I've seen some pictures of this in the past. I'd like to use the "plastic" sheeting instead of plywood. Anyone know where to get it and what the best adhesive to use to glue it to the fiberglass?

JRW160
04-04-2012, 10:26 AM
I got some 1/2" hdpe starboard for my amp rack off ebay. It was about $10/sq ft with free shipping. They will cut it to whatever size you need. I think the best way to attach it to the hull is to fiberglass it in.

I glued some small backing plates onto the hull and screwed the starboard in to those. I wish I had just glassed in one big piece.

bcd
04-05-2012, 10:45 PM
I pulled my carpet off tonight. I'm going to try using the cutting board method. I'm in the process of adhering it to the fiberglass wall. Any recommendations on what to glue the carpet back on with?

Lumbergh
04-05-2012, 11:21 PM
I used adhesive and mounted studs to hull, then used wing nuts to hold amp rack (large cutting board from costco, with gray carpet glued to it).

http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr66/Lumbergh556/DSC01559800x600.jpg

While the carpet cuts outs look hack, I know, they are hidden behind amp board.

http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr66/Lumbergh556/DSC01587800x600.jpg

On a prostar, but you get the idea.

Thrall
04-10-2012, 03:52 AM
No need to build an amp rack...unless you want to.
The 'glass on the side of the walk thru is thick enough in most areas.
See pic below. I mounted aluminum tube "rails" to the inside of the walk thru (OE location for amps) and then mounted the amps to these rails. Gave some clear space behind the amps for airflow and made a decent place to run/hide wires.

Barefooter92
04-10-2012, 12:06 PM
See pic below. I mounted aluminum tube "rails" to the inside of the walk thru (OE location for amps) and then mounted the amps to these rails. Gave some clear space behind the amps for airflow and made a decent place to run/hide wires.

Thrall: Are you pulling the ulpostery off the side at the walk though? If so how does it come off to bolt through the glass. I need to mount my amps the same way you are but need help exposing the finish side. Thanks

CantRepeat
04-10-2012, 12:18 PM

That has disaster written all over it.

rgardjr1
04-10-2012, 12:29 PM

That's how/where they mount them from the factory. You need to pay close attention to screw length. One of the advantages of an amp rack is being able to do some of the wiring and mounting the amps with out being stuck down in that compartment for hours on end. I think you can make a cleaner looking install with the rack as well. If I ever replace my tower amp I will build and amp rack, but right now since it ain't broke I'm not going to fix it. Here's a picture before I swapped out the JL factory amp for a 6 channel ARC Audio:
http://greenacresgypsum.com/mcwu02.jpg

Thrall
04-10-2012, 07:32 PM
Thrall: Are you pulling the ulpostery off the side at the walk though? If so how does it come off to bolt through the glass. I need to mount my amps the same way you are but need help exposing the finish side. Thanks

I don't quite understand. I didn't pull off any upholstery (carpet) from the inside of the walk thru wall. Nor did I thru bolt the amp brackets. Drilled pilot holes in the fiberglass, use correct length screws to mount the amp or standoffs to the wall.

Thrall
04-10-2012, 07:34 PM

Hahaha, yeah. Measure 3 times, drill once!
What I meant is that there are actually thickened areas in that wall in places. I used that tubing that I mounted the amps to, in some spots, to "bridge" a thinner area so I could secure to a thickened area.

bcd
04-10-2012, 07:42 PM
I think my 02 X Star had more fiberglass there than my new X-2, maybe because of the wind block door that's recessed into the side?? I don't think I had much more than 1/2" of fiberglass to work with, so I pulled the carpet off and glued/screwed in some backing material. I just used a couple of cutting boards since they were cheaper and on hand vs. ordering the plastic board online. I only sank my screws in around 3/8" into the fiberglass. My glove box drain hose had a clamp with a screw that went in that far, so I figured I was safe going that far, and the glue would have to do the rest.

To put the carpet back up, I used 3M spray adhesive, and it stuck very well. The carpet took a lot of force to get off in some places. Just make sure when you're pulling, you keep the carpet all the way folded over, so you're pulling straight down.

Here's some pictures of what I did:
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=46667

Rossterman
04-01-2013, 01:59 AM
Walmart large cutting board for $12 works like a charm and expands the area enough to be able to add 2 amps. I think the board is 15 x 18. I left it as is and didn't try to carpet and think it looks fine. I'll post some pics when i get everything finished this weekend.