PDA

View Full Version : Dewinterizing Help

Luckydawg13
04-03-2012, 09:29 AM
I am about to de-winterize for the first time and am looking for any tips/suggestions to make the process run smoother. I have Mastercraft scheduled to perform it for me while changing the oil, spark plugs, and impeller. Is there anything else I need to request or should do before getting it back out on the water?

Also, I need to recharge my battery before they come so I am looking to buy a charger. Does anyone have any recommendations or preferred types?

Thank you for the help!

east tx skier
04-03-2012, 09:57 AM
What you do in the spring depends largely what was done at winterization.

This is what I do.

Winterization (www.tylerskiclub.com/winterization.html)

Dewinterization (www.tylerskiclub.com/dewinterization.html)

Jerseydave
04-03-2012, 06:17 PM
I use a "SOLAR brand" battery charger on my batteries. It has 2-12 volt settings, 2 amps and 10 amps. I put it on the 2 amp setting overnight. It also has a "fully charged" indicator light.

The dealer should know what to do for you, but you could suggest they change the fuel filter and lube the steering cable. You should also have them run the engine on a hose so you don't have any surprises at the boat ramp.

spicergregg@yahoo.com
04-27-2012, 11:38 PM
This is a great list. Thanks for taking the time to put it together.
I have one question. When you grease the prop shaft do you just grease the exposed part to put a protective layer on it?
Thanks

east tx skier
04-27-2012, 11:48 PM
Frankly, I don't do it. Much of that is from the manual for my old MC. Theoretically, you would remove your prop and grease the shaft lightly as you say, just a protective layer.

TNPIG
05-03-2012, 09:15 AM
What you do in the spring depends largely what was done at winterization.

This is what I do.

Winterization (www.tylerskiclub.com/winterization.html)

Dewinterization (www.tylerskiclub.com/dewinterization.html)

On the last item of the dewinterization checklist, do you pour the sea foam down the carb throat while the boat is running or off?

east tx skier
05-03-2012, 10:33 AM
On the last item of the dewinterization checklist, do you pour the sea foam down the carb throat while the boat is running or off?

When I used to use SeaFoam, I would do it while the boat is running and VERY slowly. Half a can and kill it. Let it sit for 15--20 minutes. Pour the rest of the SeaFoam in the gas tank. After 20 minutes, take it out and drive it hard. Enjoy the smoke screen.

However, the more I read about SeaFoam these days, the more skeptical I have become of using it. The MSDS lists IPA as an ingredient, which I assume is isopropyl alcohol. I have enough alcohol in my fuel system these days and have not used it on my current boat.

That said, it never caused any problems on my old boat.

TNPIG
05-03-2012, 02:02 PM
When I used to use SeaFoam, I would do it while the boat is running and VERY slowly. Half a can and kill it. Let it sit for 15--20 minutes. Pour the rest of the SeaFoam in the gas tank. After 20 minutes, take it out and drive it hard. Enjoy the smoke screen.

However, the more I read about SeaFoam these days, the more skeptical I have become of using it. The MSDS lists IPA as an ingredient, which I assume is isopropyl alcohol. I have enough alcohol in my fuel system these days and have not used it on my current boat.

That said, it never caused any problems on my old boat.

Interesting and good to know. I've been putting a can of seafoam in my boat and jetski about every other fill up. Maybe I shouldn't be?

east tx skier
05-03-2012, 02:18 PM
Interesting and good to know. I've been putting a can of seafoam in my boat and jetski about every other fill up. Maybe I shouldn't be?

Hard to tell. Do some reading on it. It certainly never hurt my old MC. But I'm not sure how much it helped.

Todd X14
05-03-2012, 09:00 PM
This is a great list. Thanks for taking the time to put it together.
I have one question. When you grease the prop shaft do you just grease the exposed part to put a protective layer on it?
Thanks

Do not grease the shaft.....or the prop for that matter. greasing the shaft will cause vibration which tranfers to the tranny. the prop? same deal... if it would stay. come on, never in all my years....