PDA

View Full Version : Clarion remote wire configuration

AZX9
04-03-2012, 01:34 AM
I am looking to replace my original head unit to a new unit that has an iPod hookup. It's also has some damage to the plastic that makes it very hard to see what is being displayed. It's a 2003 head unit and remote. My delima is that I want to retain the remote by the driver station. If I replace the head unit is it a common remote plug so that it will most likely work with the new unit? I'm not apposed to replacing the remote but re routing a remote cable seams like a nightmare as it surely goes under the floor. Best case I would like to plug the new unit into the pigtail that is "industry standard" if their is such a thing. Second would be a head unit and new remote pluged into the existing remote extension cord. Again if they are somewhat standard. The functions of a basic remote have not changed over the years. Volume, ship/search, pause, mode, etc so I'm hoping the pin configuration is maybe the same? Does anyone know if these remote extension cords are somewhat standard? Don't have my boat, still in the gel shop for first run of the season damage.

epnault
04-03-2012, 06:27 AM
I converted my '02 stereo to a CMD6 a couple years ago. I can tell you the old remote would not work and I couldn't find an adapter either. I felt the same way about routing a new extension cord to but on my prostar the cable is routed through the glassed in PVC tubes along the gunwales from the drivers seat to the front of the bow and back to the glove box. What I did is disconnect the old remote and used the old extension cord as my fish tape by duct taping the old cord to the new one. Then remove all your bow cushions and bow speakers for access if need to help route. Then I had my wife pull gently on the stereo end on the cord as I followed on the under side of the boat. Just take your time and it should go smoothly. The new remotes are worth it if you are putting in a new deck. It has a digital display and a ton of functionality especially if you are working with an IPod. You can see the song and artist, move through playlists, and many more. Good luck

HRC
04-03-2012, 10:13 AM
I converted my '02 stereo to a CMD6 a couple years ago. I can tell you the old remote would not work and I couldn't find an adapter either. I felt the same way about routing a new extension cord to but on my prostar the cable is routed through the glassed in PVC tubes along the gunwales from the drivers seat to the front of the bow and back to the glove box. What I did is disconnect the old remote and used the old extension cord as my fish tape by duct taping the old cord to the new one. Then remove all your bow cushions and bow speakers for access if need to help route. Then I had my wife pull gently on the stereo end on the cord as I followed on the under side of the boat. Just take your time and it should go smoothly. The new remotes are worth it if you are putting in a new deck. It has a digital display and a ton of functionality especially if you are working with an IPod. You can see the song and artist, move through playlists, and many more. Good luck

I've got an '01 Prostar and was wondering just how to get the from upholstery out. I can't get my arms behind there to take the nuts loose from the side cushions.

AZX9
04-03-2012, 12:31 PM

Was the remote wire zip tied or was it fairly loose around the nose. I can see this as a fiberglass rash nightmare. I should have the boat back this weekend to see how it's routed.

epnault
04-03-2012, 12:38 PM
I have a 209 with an X9 tower.

Yes-I had to contort my not so small body (6'1" 235) to make sure I was getting the routing properly. I don't recall them using any zip ties but at a couple points I remember a one loop rap around the small PVC tube. Yes, I did get some fiberglass rash but it wasn't bad and has healed nicely :). In my opinion there is no need to remove the side cushions. Take your seat cushions out and also remove your speakers and you should be able to get enought access. By the way, this was the first and only time I have done this so it is do-able. The key is to use your old cable as your router.

02ProstarSammyD
04-03-2012, 12:39 PM
I've got an '01 Prostar and was wondering just how to get the from upholstery out. I can't get my arms behind there to take the nuts loose from the side cushions.

PITA! Hopefully you have the worlds smallest hands. The remote is held in by a u bracket. I changed mine when I had the panel off. Be careful though! The bolts that hold the side panel on are just attached to the thin plastic and it will pull through and leave you with an issue.

The remote will not work. You will have to buy a new remote/cable. I found mine online for like 75 bucks+ 20 sumin for the 25' cable. The remotes only come with a stub of a connector (6" or so")

Price to pay for having the ipod hookup unfortunately. At that point you might as well buy 2, get the y adaptor and put in a transom remote too

tr6coug
04-03-2012, 01:03 PM
I am looking to replace my original head unit to a new unit that has an iPod hookup. It's also has some damage to the plastic that makes it very hard to see what is being displayed. It's a 2003 head unit and remote. My delima is that I want to retain the remote by the driver station. If I replace the head unit is it a common remote plug so that it will most likely work with the new unit? I'm not apposed to replacing the remote but re routing a remote cable seams like a nightmare as it surely goes under the floor. Best case I would like to plug the new unit into the pigtail that is "industry standard" if their is such a thing. Second would be a head unit and new remote pluged into the existing remote extension cord. Again if they are somewhat standard. The functions of a basic remote have not changed over the years. Volume, ship/search, pause, mode, etc so I'm hoping the pin configuration is maybe the same? Does anyone know if these remote extension cords are somewhat standard? Don't have my boat, still in the gel shop for first run of the season damage.

The 2003 remote has a 6-pin plug. This is compatible with the Clarion CMD4, 4A, 5, and the M475 (single DIN size). The Clarion CMD6, 7, M309 all changed to an 8-pin plug. these are compatible with your remote, but would need an adapter cable to convert the 6-pin plug to an 8-pin plug.

02ProstarSammyD
04-03-2012, 02:43 PM
^ http://www.clarion.com/ca/en/products/2010/marine/remotes/CCUMRA1/ca-en-product-pf_1259404168827.html

No kidding! Glad I just replaced both of my remotes!

epnault
04-03-2012, 03:29 PM
They justed released to pre-order the RF wireless waterproof remote again. For some reason they did not ship last season but the guy from Crutchfield said they were just informated by Clarion this week that they are shipping this spring and to start taking orders. Now we don't have to swim back to the boat and change the volume or song :)

http://www.crutchfield.com/app/cart/default.aspx

AZX9
04-03-2012, 11:07 PM
My head unit is not visible from anywhere in the boat other that right over the glove box. Does it need direct sight to work?

rgardjr1
04-04-2012, 12:58 AM
^ http://www.clarion.com/ca/en/products/2010/marine/remotes/CCUMRA1/ca-en-product-pf_1259404168827.html

No kidding! Glad I just replaced both of my remotes!

More information about the conversion cable in this thread: Clarion CCUMRA1 cables in short supply ... (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=42029)

I ended up spending more money on the conversion cable, Y adapter cable, 25' extension cable and one wired remote than I did on my refurbed CMD6 last summer. I have 3 wired remotes in my boat and I only updated the one by the driver to the newer version. The CMD6 receiver comes with an IR remote. The receiver and new wired remotes have the IR receivers built in so if your glove box is closed you can still use the IR remote if you have line of sight to a wired remote. The USB ipod control is way better on the CMD6 than what I had with the Ipod module on my old CMD4a. I just bought the Clarion hands free kit of Ebay for $40 so my daughters can use the bluetooth A2DP connection on their Ipod Touches to stream music to the stereo.

AZX9
04-04-2012, 02:51 AM
How's the sound quality on streamed blue tooth? Anywhere near being plugged in or is it somewhat like an RF modulator?

tr6coug
04-04-2012, 04:29 AM
I stream music over bluetooth on my RV stereo and on a home stereo. Sounds great. Much better than a RF modulator. Those things are terrible.

epnault
04-04-2012, 11:06 AM
With the RF remote you do not need line of sight. Check out the link and info

swatguy
04-06-2012, 12:44 AM
The m309 or the older but new m475 both work with the older remotes and have iPod capabilities.

AZX9
04-06-2012, 01:13 AM
The m309 or the older but new m475 both work with the older remotes and have iPod capabilities.

Are you sure! Do you have one?

rgardjr1
04-06-2012, 01:10 PM
Are you sure! Do you have one?

According to Clarion the M309 uses the new remotes and needs the adapter cable. The M475 uses the older remotes. I've attached the remote compatibility chart from Clarion.

swatguy
04-07-2012, 02:36 AM
I am for sure as I was told this from clarion rep. I currently run the m475 with 2 original;) wired remotes that were factory on my 2000 x star. Like mentioned u just need the adapter cable for the m309 but all the functions on your old remote will work with it.. The m475 is a direct hookup and uses aux cable vs actually controlling your ipod through the head unit. U can get an iPod interface to run it through head unit controls from the clarion remote, but I prefer to run it off the iPod directly as the controls are limited. Thought about going to m309 but didn't have extra cash. The m109 won't work with older remotes

Also another good source unit is alpine with their new wireless remote. Worked real nice. M9886 is model. No need for a sight line works off radii waves. Only downside is it takes a bit to get used to the 1-2 sec delay of pushing the skip track button and it actually working. Also other downside is its a giant size full size gauge remote. But the remote is simple to use and install and has nice display. Its just finding a good locatit

AZX9
04-08-2012, 02:14 AM
I took a look today to see what's doin. I dont have any kind of marking to know what remote I have. I also tried to take it off from the side panel. It was very stuck after removing the two screws. Like it would break something if I pryed hard enough so I couldn't pull it apart to get a better look of the cable situation. I looked on the back of the head unit and what I would think was the remote hookup had nothing in it so I'm not sure where the remote is plugged just yet. I like M309 I'm just not sure it will plug in to the remote with my current info.

rgardjr1
04-09-2012, 03:43 PM
I took a look today to see what's doin. I dont have any kind of marking to know what remote I have. I also tried to take it off from the side panel. It was very stuck after removing the two screws. Like it would break something if I pryed hard enough so I couldn't pull it apart to get a better look of the cable situation. I looked on the back of the head unit and what I would think was the remote hookup had nothing in it so I'm not sure where the remote is plugged just yet. I like M309 I'm just not sure it will plug in to the remote with my current info.

Take a picture of the remote and we can probably identify it. Is it a round remote?

AZX9
04-10-2012, 02:18 AM
It is round and has a small LED screen showing station or track info. I put the boat back in storage so I can't get a photo just yet. Wait, here's one you can see it on the dash to the right. Those two screws are the ones I pulled and the plate will not budge. I tried to gingerly pry it and it felt like it would snap something so I stopped. In light of your info I may just opt for the M309. If I have to use an adapter for eight connections to six, what two functions are being lost?

rgardjr1
04-10-2012, 01:12 PM
It is round and has a small LED screen showing station or track info. I put the boat back in storage so I can't get a photo just yet. Wait, here's one you can see it on the dash to the right. Those two screws are the ones I pulled and the plate will not budge. I tried to gingerly pry it and it felt like it would snap something so I stopped. In light of your info I may just opt for the M309. If I have to use an adapter for eight connections to six, what two functions are being lost?

I can't tell for sure, but does this look right Clarion CMRC1 (http://www.clarion.com/us/en/products/2006/marine/remotes/CMRC1-BSS/us-en-product-pf_1134643389308.html)? I still have one of these in my boat using the adapter cable and I lost the LCD screen read out. So the volume up/down, track next/back, input select, mute all still work. Here are my thoughts ... I have four wired remotes in my boat. I replaced the CMRC1 I by the driver with the new MW1. The main reason I did was for Ipod control. The CMD6 has USB ipod control which is great and without the LCD display this would be pretty useless. I still have a CMRC1 on the port side by the cup holders, CMRC2 on the transom, and the old version of the MF1 (wireless RF remote) which has a controller that plugs in just like a wired remote. These are all running off the adapter cable that goes from 8 pins to 6 pins. As I mentioned in my previous post in this thread (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=42029) the adapter cable was a PITA to get and wasn't that cheap $68. If it were me I'd put that $68 toward the newer remote and extension cable to get the maximum functionality out of the M309 if I only had a single wired remote in the boat.

AZX9
04-11-2012, 01:38 AM
Yeah, that looks like a newer model. I must have a 2002. The Certificate of Origin has a November 2002 date on it. With that being the case I may look at some other marine options. I like some other models that are less expensive than the M309. Crutchfield has a cool looking Sony that the face opens and you plug in the ipod inside the unit and close it up in the radio. It doesn't have a CD player but I don't use one either. My son's Kenwood in his 4Runner has been working well and they have some well priced units. Any opinion on other units? I do really want three pre-outs and a USB on the front is preferred.

rgardjr1
04-11-2012, 11:02 AM
Any opinion on other units? I do really want three pre-outs and a USB on the front is preferred.

Alpines are nice head units. Kenwood has some nice stuff too. The reason I stuck with Clarion was because of the wired remotes-I've got three of them which means three holes in the boat where they mount. The Alpine remote is huge and wouldn't work for 2 out of 3 of my remotes. I'd take a look at the remotes as well as head units to make sure they'll work with you existing remote location.

AZX9
04-12-2012, 12:44 AM
Any advise on removing the current remote. How is that thing attached? I really don't to break anything.

tr6coug
04-12-2012, 02:15 AM
The current remotes have a "U" bracket that bolts to the back of the unit. You may have to get behind it and remove the nuts that hold the bracket on so you can pull it out.

AZX9
04-13-2012, 12:59 AM
Thanks, I just figured that the two screws hold it on.

swatguy
04-13-2012, 11:54 AM
I will second the alpine units. Really nice with simple features and the added bonus of 4 volt pre amps vs 2 v will will give you a small boost in signal. They offer a waterproof RF remote that you can take into the water with ya while swimming, or a bigger full size remote that is the size of your speeding/tact gauge. While a nice remote with tons of features and a digital screen its on the large size to find a convenient spot for.

For what u pay for Clarion stuff there is better units at their pricepoints. However Clarion is mainly factory installed on most mfgs at some point in the line so that is why there is so much popularity with them. I will out it like this. If I was designing any system from ground up Clarion wouldn't even be in there, but since my boat came factory with 2 clarion hard wired remotes its hard to gut the entire system and start over with holes in the gel.

Even tho u see the 2 screws on front, there still should be a u bolt on the back as well holding the old Clarion remote in place.

treiter
04-13-2012, 04:44 PM
I have had pretty good success with the Clarion HU's and the remotes. If you watch Amazon the M309 and remotes can be bought at about 40-50% off retail plus free shipping. The USB wire is handy for the ipod and with the new remotes you can see all the information coming from the ipod. Just my $0.02.