PDA

View Full Version : How often do you run your bilge blower?

Brian B
04-03-2012, 12:09 AM
How often do you run your bilge blower?

thatsmrmastercraft
04-03-2012, 12:13 AM
Too many stories of people blowing their motor covers off not to run it every time.

Kevin@MWMC
04-03-2012, 06:00 AM
Every time before I start the engine. The flip of a switch could save your boat from blowing up. The flip of ONE switch! Simple, do it every time.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Trig2275
04-03-2012, 06:32 AM
Every time

bturner2
04-03-2012, 07:02 AM
I'd like to say every time I start the boat (and that's how I voted) but truth be told I do it only if we've been sitting for more than 20 minutes or so. If we're changing up riders or if we've just stopped for a couple minutes I'll forgo the process. More than 20 minutes and it's an automatic part of the start up procedure. So I'm saying 95% - 98% of the time. It should probably be 100%.

19_Skier
04-03-2012, 07:03 AM
not work the risk. I flip the switch then load our gear, gives lots of time.

dpolen
04-03-2012, 07:22 AM
I run ours constantly. Besides a little whisper of air in the background, what's the downside of having it on?

Double D
04-03-2012, 08:24 AM
I'd like to say every time I start the boat (and that's how I voted) but truth be told I do it only if we've been sitting for more than 20 minutes or so. If we're changing up riders or if we've just stopped for a couple minutes I'll forgo the process. More than 20 minutes and it's an automatic part of the start up procedure. So I'm saying 95% - 98% of the time. It should probably be 100%.

Sounds like me. However, loading experienced skiers I don't turn off the boat. Newbie's I will turn it off.

willyt
04-03-2012, 08:49 AM
Too many stories of people blowing their motor covers off not to run it every time.

I've never heard of this happening... But if you know some good ones, please share!

Wouldn't this be more of a concern with carb engines vs less with an efi?

I tend the run the blower about 75% of the time... I have buddies have that never touched their blower, and buddies that run it 100% of the time the engine is even on

BrooksfamX2
04-03-2012, 09:13 AM

Same here...........:cool:

ahhudgins
04-03-2012, 09:24 AM
My blower is on just about any time the boat is under 25 MPH, just for that little bit of air circulation. When my wife is driving, the blower is on 100% of the time because she can't reach down to flip the switch and drive at the same time.:D

houtexX30
04-03-2012, 09:36 AM
rd s u x....

carlsonwa
04-03-2012, 10:26 AM
I run mine whenever the motor is running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do It
04-03-2012, 10:32 AM
I run the blower for a couple minutes before ignition every time I'm out on the water. I don't leave the blower running, but I do run it before we start if we're sitting for a while.

About 25 years ago I witnessed the aftermath of a family getting blown out of a boat due to an explosion during ignition. I was a kid, so I don't remember the exact details. All I know is the guy borrowed his buddy's boat, somehow got gas in the hull (Supposedly by over-filling the gas tank, but I have no idea how that could happen), started the engine without knowing about the blower, and kaboom. It blew all of them out of the boat, started the marina on fire, and at least one family member was sent off to the hospital. Pretty sure the use of the blower would've helped prevent this. Maybe not, but ever since seeing such a terrible situation I've been adamant about implementing the blower before ignition rule. Watching something like that'll make it pretty easy to remember.

BrooksfamX2
04-03-2012, 10:46 AM
Sometimes I'll go as far as popping the engine hatch open before starting if we have been sitting a while.........

barefoot
04-03-2012, 10:59 AM
I turn mine on and leave it on.

bjames
04-03-2012, 11:10 AM
Whats a bildge blower? kidding of course. I understand the purpose, but at the same time the intent confuses me a little. Given there was enough vapour accumilation to ignite an explosion when attempting to start an engine, would that risk still exist with turning on any potential ignition source... say like turning on a powered fan? unless the fan is hermetically sealed like what is used in a class 1 div 2 (explosive) environment. just saying... But I still use mine before starting :)

Sodar
04-03-2012, 12:38 PM
I run mine whenever the motor is running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've gotten in the habit of doing the same thing. It started that I just forgot to turn it off while we were idling, but now turned into normal practice.

I've actually even noticed I get a few more RPMs out of the motor with the blower on... especially if it is hot out.

gatorguy
04-03-2012, 12:55 PM
You should run the blower for 5min prior to starting the engine per the instructions. So my question to all of you who claim to run it prior to every start is this: are you running it for 5min then starting, or just turning it on then starting seconds later. It stands to reason that in order to reduce the risk of an explosive environment you need to give the blower enough time to actually do its job.

I answered that I only run it before the first start. But I actually forget to turn it off most of the time until we are coming back to pick up the first fallen skier and I hear it still running. I then don't turn it on again unless we have sat with the engine off for a significant amount of time. What exact is significant? I don't have a good answer. Probably a few minutes less than however long I will have been sitting there when I go to start and my boat blows-up.

JDJ_205
04-03-2012, 01:13 PM
I agree with Brooks. I typically open the engine hatch at the begining of each weekend. It's too easy to run the blower. Who wants to risk it?

pram
04-03-2012, 01:18 PM
If and I stress if, your fuel system is operating correctly, the risk is minimal in my opinion.

the following is accurate as far as I can deduce

For those of you that run the blower at speeds less than 25mph, do you realize that for every gallon of gas you burn that you are consuming approximately 43.6 CUBIC YARDS OF AIR??

or for us Canadians

every litre of gas burnt consumes approximately 8765 Litres of air

that is a pile of air to be worrying about running your blower below 25mph IMO

davidstan
04-03-2012, 01:21 PM
Sometimes I'll go as far as popping the engine hatch open before starting if we have been sitting a while.........

Ditto, after a week of sitting will do this.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-03-2012, 01:26 PM
If and I stress if, your fuel system is operating correctly, the risk is minimal in my opinion.

the following is accurate as far as I can deduce

For those of you that run the blower at speeds less than 25mph, do you realize that for every gallon of gas you burn that you are consuming approximately 43.6 CUBIC YARDS OF AIR??

or for us Canadians

every litre of gas burnt consumes approximately 8765 Litres of air

that is a pile of air to be worrying about running your blower below 25mph IMO

If your fuel system is operating normally, isn't there no risk???

It is when there is a leak of some amount, however small, that the gas fumes have the potential to turn your boat into a bomb when you hit the key without thorough ventilation.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-03-2012, 01:29 PM
Aside from always running the blower prior to starting, I always open the engine cover to check the oil level prior to each days operation.

Perhaps a 5 minute tone would be something to incorporate into the blower motor operation.

Rocketman
04-03-2012, 01:47 PM
I am also in the camp of running mine 100% of the time. I get in and turn it on for a couple of minutes and then start the boat. When done using the boat, the last thing I do is turn off the blower. My boat is 12 years old and still has the original blower in it.

pram
04-03-2012, 01:49 PM
better yet, why not have a sensor that automatically turns your blower on and off?

In today's litigious society, I am surprised that no one has sued thus forcing an auto on-off blower motor be installed.

Just like the auto bilge switch

Shhhhh don't tell anyone this idea, I am going to patent it and make my millions

pram
04-03-2012, 01:53 PM
Gasoline vapor is heavier than air right?

How much of a leakage do you have to have in order to fill the engine compartment to the point of explosion?

in a correctly operating fuel system, what would have to transpire to cause the engine compartment to fill with gas vapors?

what is the percentage of boats that explode compared to those that do not explode?

pram
04-03-2012, 01:54 PM
Aside from always running the blower prior to starting, I always open the engine cover to check the oil level prior to each days operation.

Perhaps a 5 minute tone would be something to incorporate into the blower motor operation.

with the fuel being heavier than air, if there is no breeze, would the gas vapors dissipate when you open the motor cover?

gid
04-03-2012, 04:18 PM
Never, I dont have one. I do have to raise the hood to spray a little starting fluid on the carb cover.

broncotw
04-03-2012, 04:22 PM
I know what the manual indicates -- however I seldom remeber to start the blower....

CantRepeat
04-03-2012, 04:36 PM
Never, I dont have one. I do have to raise the hood to spray a little starting fluid on the carb cover.

Sounds very trolly to me. :D

CantRepeat
04-03-2012, 04:37 PM
better yet, why not have a sensor that automatically turns your blower on and off?

In today's litigious society, I am surprised that no one has sued thus forcing an auto on-off blower motor be installed.

Just like the auto bilge switch

Shhhhh don't tell anyone this idea, I am going to patent it and make my millions

You know, I wonder why someone hasn't made sensor system yet? Patent that idea Pram, you'd make millions.

vision
04-03-2012, 04:45 PM
If your fuel system is operating normally, isn't there no risk???

It is when there is a leak of some amount, however small, that the gas fumes have the potential to turn your boat into a bomb when you hit the key without thorough ventilation.

Actually, post fueling has been reported to a common cause of gas vapor accumulation based on a study that showed post fueling is a common time for explosions to occur. Theoretically, having a hatch open, or any access to the bilge, or running the blower while fueling, would make your chances of explosion greater.

I was shocked to read how many boats blow up because the captain left the boat running while being fueled!

thatsmrmastercraft
04-03-2012, 05:27 PM
This happened to a friend of my nephew a few years ago. They had been skiing for a few hours, then parked their late 80's Prostar at the end of the dock and went in to eat. Came out an hour later, hopped in the boat, hit the key and kaboom! He was blown onto the deck but not seriously injured.

pram
04-03-2012, 05:35 PM
That would have been a wild ride

Hey Bubba, watch this

thatsmrmastercraft
04-03-2012, 05:36 PM
I guess that is why the engine cover doesn't get latched down.:rolleyes:

pram
04-03-2012, 05:40 PM
What? I was going to put some quick latches on so it wouldn't fly up at speed

now I have to rethink that

ahhudgins
04-03-2012, 05:42 PM
I guess that is why the engine cover doesn't get latched down.:rolleyes:

My Maristar 200VRS has two 1/2 inch bolts for the rear hinges and the hydraulic lift cylinder holding it down. If there is an explosion, something is getting blown apart.

vision
04-03-2012, 05:45 PM
The sensor is a great idea. Turn the key and if the blower goes on before the engine will turn over you have fumes. Once the concentration goes below a certain level, the boat will start.

But this may actually increase MC liability. If the system failed, they would liable. Currently, if the boat blows up it is owner error, not equipment failure.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-03-2012, 05:47 PM
My Maristar 200VRS has two 1/2 inch bolts for the rear hinges and the hydraulic lift cylinder holding it down. If there is an explosion, something is getting blown apart.

Those cylinders would open right up if gas vapors were inadvertently ignited. Your 1/2" bolts would be just fine, but the hinges would likely be ripped right off the motor cover.

ahhudgins
04-03-2012, 05:59 PM
Those cylinders would open right up if gas vapors were inadvertently ignited. Your 1/2" bolts would be just fine, but the hinges would likely be ripped right off the motor cover.

My one cylinder is the hydraulic powered unit that raises and lowers the rear sundeck. I'm sure it would stay in one piece, but every screw would get ripped out of the sundeck.

I'm sure the odds of an explosion are small, but if there is an accident there are usually several factors that lead to an explosion. I'm not going to add one more factor by not running my blower...I've replaced it several times. I guess I just don't live "on the edge" like some guys!!:D

thatsmrmastercraft
04-03-2012, 06:21 PM
My one cylinder is the hydraulic powered unit that raises and lowers the rear sundeck. I'm sure it would stay in one piece, but every screw would get ripped out of the sundeck.

I'm sure the odds of an explosion are small, but if there is an accident there are usually several factors that lead to an explosion. I'm not going to add one more factor by not running my blower...I've replaced it several times. I guess I just don't live "on the edge" like some guys!!:D

Very well stated.

Red 08 Xstar
04-03-2012, 11:58 PM
Haven't ever run mine.

-V-
04-04-2012, 08:21 AM
I just open the hatch, it's a little more air flow. I just hit the switch and watch the back hatch raise.

Brian B
04-04-2012, 11:53 AM
rd s u x....

:D .........

Brian B
04-04-2012, 11:59 AM
After all these posts, and not a mention of a Mastercraft blowing up, I feel a little better about the subject. I rarely used my blower prior to last weekend. When I removed my floor panel to install the plug, a very strong fuel smell hit me. I had just topped off the boat and pulled it to the lake...... The smell was strong enough to alert me to the point where I opened up the hatch and ran the blower.

Anyone else have issues when topping of their MC? Every time I try to top my tank off I end up spraying fuel everywhere. Any solution to this?

gatorguy
04-04-2012, 12:06 PM
Anyone else have issues when topping of their MC? Every time I try to top my tank off I end up spraying fuel everywhere. Any solution to this?

No problem topping off the MC per-say. I actually try to keep mine at 1/2 or less so I have a smaller wake on my ps205 for skiing. But I usually het a splash of fuel at the end when I try to fill the tank all the way. Many others have all said the same thing. Unlike cars/trucks boats don't have that little overflow preventer thing in the fuel fill hole. So my best fix involves a bunch of paper towels and the window washer squeegy.

skishack90
04-04-2012, 12:06 PM
I run mine when we load gear on the boat before I drop it in the water for a few minutes. It stays off the rest of the day unless we stop the boat for over 15 minutes.

Note: A quick solution for those that are impatient...lift the engine hood before starting. That is the most effective way to get the gasses out.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-04-2012, 01:19 PM
After all these posts, and not a mention of a Mastercraft blowing up, I feel a little better about the subject. I rarely used my blower prior to last weekend. When I removed my floor panel to install the plug, a very strong fuel smell hit me. I had just topped off the boat and pulled it to the lake...... The smell was strong enough to alert me to the point where I opened up the hatch and ran the blower.

This happened to a friend of my nephew a few years ago. They had been skiing for a few hours, then parked their late 80's Prostar at the end of the dock and went in to eat. Came out an hour later, hopped in the boat, hit the key and kaboom! He was blown onto the deck but not seriously injured.

I guess my accounting is the one incident here.

JimN
04-04-2012, 01:25 PM
I asked a customer why the insulation inside the motor cover looked scorched and he said his daughter was trying to start the engine but it wouldn't fire. Someone then put the lanyard on and she tried it again, igniting the fuel vapors (carbureted) and blowing the cup holders out of the cover. Scared the shyte out of her but it could have ended very badly. It was a good thing the cup holders were there to relieve the pressure.

The manual explicitly indicates when and how long the blower should be run but apparently, most people don't read this, or the manual in general. Reading the manual could save some people a lot of trouble and expense.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-04-2012, 01:28 PM
I asked a customer why the insulation inside the motor cover looked scorched and he said his daughter was trying to start the engine but it wouldn't fire. Someone then put the lanyard on and she tried it again, igniting the fuel vapors (carbureted) and blowing the cup holders out of the cover. Scared the shyte out of her but it could have ended very badly. It was a good thing the cup holders were there to relieve the pressure.

The manual explicitly indicates when and how long the blower should be run but apparently, most people don't read this, or the manual in general. Reading the manual could save some people a lot of trouble and expense.

Come on Jim, waiting a few minutes for the blower to run can seem like a lifetime :rolleyes:

oldairboater
04-04-2012, 02:16 PM
I have actually seen a flash fire and engine cover blown open from fumes in the hull. I was waiting to launch my boat one time. Yahoo's everywhere. Two idiots in the ramp trying to get their boats off of the trailer. Another idiot tied up to the off side of the dock where I was standing watching this circus. He kept cranking and cranking on his inboard. They had a guy sitting on the engine cover. I noticed that it wouldn't start and he was steadily cranking it over. Wind shift a little and I got a good whiff of the gas fumes. I knew that dog was flooded. Just said something to my buddy and----whoosh. Engine cover flipped open and catapulted the fool sitting on it into the river. I watched him do a couple of slow somersaults before splash down. He had third degree burns on his legs and arms. The two fools sitting in front both had burns to their backs, necks, and hair. Never forgot how surreal it looked when it happened.

JimN
04-04-2012, 02:20 PM
Come on Jim, waiting a few minutes for the blower to run can seem like a lifetime :rolleyes:

So does waiting to land after the explosion.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-04-2012, 02:30 PM
So does waiting to land after the explosion.

You are correct, sir.

gatorguy
04-04-2012, 02:35 PM
my question to all of you who claim to run it prior to every start is this: are you running it for 5min then starting, or just turning it on then starting seconds later.

Still wondering how long people who run it every time let it run prior to starting?:confused:

SilviaMan
04-04-2012, 02:49 PM
I pay pretty close attention to any kind of fuel smell. And fix it immediately!
After trailering to the ramp... don't run it
After sitting for more than 5-10 minutes definitely run it. While in the open water (after skiing) probably don't wait 5 minutes TBH
After sitting in the swim bay forever, Once its established that we are heading out I turn on the blower, pull in anything hanging off the platform and haul in the anchor. After all is said and done typically over 5 minutes.
After we are moving I turn it off. Some times if idling around for long periods I'll turn it on.

Stutsman230
04-04-2012, 03:08 PM
I always open the engine cover and smell for fumes when we pull up to the ramp at the beginning of the day. Then I still run the blower while loading the boat before launching. I always smell for fumes when pulling equipment out of the back side lockers.
I will run it after sitting for more than 5 minutes or when we are under 5 mph going up a very long (>1/2 mile) no-wake zone.

catamount
04-04-2012, 03:14 PM
I never even thought about running it when moving at a slow speed, or even about just leaving it on the entire time. I like this idea though and will probably adopt it. Thanks for this thread!

Brian B
04-04-2012, 03:18 PM
Running them at low speed or while the engine is on is weird to me. Remember, your engine is an air pump and is essentially doing what the bilge blower does anytime its running.....

pram
04-04-2012, 03:21 PM
Damn getting blown into the water would suck

But again this is an issue with improper operation.

Would the blower have made a difference even if it was running?

If there is that much fuel in there, I highly doubt that it would have made a difference

JimN
04-04-2012, 03:46 PM
Still wondering how long people who run it every time let it run prior to starting?:confused:

The manual states 5 minutes.

jeffbare
04-04-2012, 03:55 PM
Never Ever

JimN
04-04-2012, 03:59 PM

If there is that much fuel in there, I highly doubt that it would have made a difference

Better than being blown into traffic on a busy road.

Difference if running? If the cap or plug wires are allowing voltage leakage, yes- the fumes could easily ignite. If the engine backfires, yes- even with a flame arrester.

I was reading some of the Darwin Awards stories and one guy, I think in Arkansas, was outside having a "few" with his friends one night and they saw a raccoon scamper across theyard. They chased it into a drainage pipe that was installed on an angle and thought it would be funny to get it out, since they knew the other end had a grate to keep anything from clogging it. They poured gasoline into the pipe and waited. Nothing. They poured a bit more, then waited. Crickets. One of the guys decided that he would crawl in and see if the raccoon was still there and he went in, head first. Realizing that he couldn't see anything, he took out his BIC lighter. One of his friends said "There was definitely a Doppler Effect thing going on as he flew overhead", having been shot out of the pipe like a cannonball. He wasn't in bad shape, considering. Must have landed on something soft, like his head. He said "If I knew, for a fact, that I wouldn't get hurt, I would do that again".

thatsmrmastercraft
04-04-2012, 04:33 PM

Willing to bet your life on it?

CantRepeat
04-04-2012, 04:39 PM
Running them at low speed or while the engine is on is weird to me. Remember, your engine is an air pump and is essentially doing what the bilge blower does anytime its running.....

Yeah, your engine is an air pump. It is one that is inclosed in a box.

Get this:

per·me·at·edper·me·at·ing
Definition of PERMEATE
intransitive verb
: to diffuse through or penetrate something

This is what all rubber fuel lines do.

Run the blower!! You're family will thank you at some point.

pram
04-04-2012, 04:45 PM
Better than being blown into traffic on a busy road.

Difference if running? If the cap or plug wires are allowing voltage leakage, yes- the fumes could easily ignite. If the engine backfires, yes- even with a flame arrester.

I meant would it have made a difference in the above story by oldairboater if the blower would have been on?

if you are cranking and cranking would the blower clear the box?

pram
04-04-2012, 04:47 PM
Willing to bet your life on it?

I guess I do all the time.

I run my blower before I start it for the day and periodically throughout the day depending on how long we have been sitting.

I do not however run it everytime I shut the boat off, ie a person is trying to get up skiing and I am giving instruction as I come back around

like I said, maybe we need a sensor

what would the PPM have to be in an engine box to have an explosion?

pram
04-04-2012, 04:49 PM
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/WestAdvisorView?langId=-1&storeId=11151&catalogId=10001&page=Vapor-Monitors

thatsmrmastercraft
04-04-2012, 05:21 PM
I guess I do all the time.

I run my blower before I start it for the day and periodically throughout the day depending on how long we have been sitting.

I do not however run it everytime I shut the boat off, ie a person is trying to get up skiing and I am giving instruction as I come back around

like I said, maybe we need a sensor

If I shut the boat down for a minute or two to deal with an inexperienced skier I flip the blower on so I can fire right back up when I want.

Don't need no freakin' sensor to do that.:rolleyes::D:D

1redTA
04-04-2012, 05:46 PM

it has to do with the LEL (lower explosion limits) and UEL (upper explosion limits) think Air/Fuel Ratio

pram
04-04-2012, 06:33 PM
If I shut the boat down for a minute or two to deal with an inexperienced skier I flip the blower on so I can fire right back up when I want.

Don't need no freakin' sensor to do that.:rolleyes::D:D

well loddydoddyduh to you and your fancy switch

:rolleyes:

jared205v
04-04-2012, 09:28 PM
I usualy turn it on before first start,then forget to turn it off. Blower probably has as many hour running as motor if not more

madcityskier
04-04-2012, 09:28 PM
None of the poll options say when I've been sitting a few minutes. By the time I tow it to the lake it's all aired out. If I've been sitting or I'm idling for a while, it's on

thatsmrmastercraft
04-04-2012, 11:54 PM
well loddydoddyduh to you and your fancy switch

:rolleyes:

Pulling the blower switch out to turn on the blower is no more difficult than pulling the tail of a mouse that is laying on it's back.

Don't have to be a Rocket Surgeon to do this:D:D:D

gatorguy
04-05-2012, 12:04 AM
The manual states 5 minutes.

I know it says 5 min, but I bet hardly any of the people who claim to do it every time actually wait five min by the clock.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-05-2012, 12:11 AM
I know it says 5 min, but I bet hardly any of the people who claim to do it every time actually wait five min by the clock.

You didn't get one of these with your boat???

psychobilly
04-05-2012, 08:47 AM
It's the law in Texas to operate the bilge blower for 4 minutes prior to starting the motor...

"copied from the Texas Parks and Wildlife rules and Regulations"

suBPart K – ventiLation
§ 183.610 Powered ventilation system
(a) Each compartment in a boat that has a permanently installed
gasoline engine with a cranking motor must:
(1) Be open to the atmosphere, or
(2) Be ventilated by an exhaust blower system.
(b) [contains AMCA standards]
(c) [contains AMCA standards]
(d) Each intake duct for an exhaust blower must be in the lower one-
third of the compartment and above the normal level of accumulated bilge water.
(e) More than one exhaust blower may be used in combination to meet
the requirements of this section.
(f) Each boat that is required to have an exhaust blower must have a
label that:
(1) Is located as close as practicable to each ignition switch;
(2) Is in plain view of the operator; and
(3) Has at least the following information:

WARNING — GASOLINE VAPORS CAN EXPLODE. BEFORE STARTING ENGINE OPERATE
BLOWER FOR 4 MINUTES AND CHECK ENGINE COMPARTMENT BILGE FOR GASOLINE
VAPORS.

I didn't know this until this thread got me to wondering.... hummmmm........

thatsmrmastercraft
04-05-2012, 10:04 AM
It's the law in Texas to operate the bilge blower for 4 minutes prior to starting the motor...

suBPart K – ventiLation
label that:

VAPORS.

Since everything is bigger in Texas, I would have suspected eight minutes run time:rolleyes:

psychobilly
04-05-2012, 10:15 AM
*****spews coffee all over screen****** lmao

JimN
04-05-2012, 11:53 AM

Ya know, if you guys keep discussing this and someone from the Gubmint sees that most people aren't using the blower, they're gonna make it impossible to start the boat without using it.

psychobilly
04-05-2012, 11:55 AM
LMAO you're so right too Jim! LMAO

GT500 MC
04-05-2012, 11:59 AM
Ya know, if you guys keep discussing this and someone from the Gubmint sees that most people aren't using the blower, they're gonna make it impossible to start the boat without using it.

Wouldn't that suck....and they'd probably put a breathalyzer component there with it and we'd all be screwed...

psychobilly
04-05-2012, 12:04 PM
Wouldn't that suck....and they'd probably put a breathalyzer component there with it and we'd all be screwed...

Not me for today.... I been sober 10 years. lol but I feel ya from back in the day. ;)

ahhudgins
04-05-2012, 01:08 PM
[QUOTE=psychobilly;827830]It's the law in Texas to operate the bilge blower for 4 minutes prior to starting the motor...
QUOTE]

Blowers? We don't need no stink'n blowers!
(but I do use mine)

Brian B
04-05-2012, 01:33 PM
Not me for today.... I been sober 10 years. lol but I feel ya from back in the day. ;)

Hows it working out for ya? Are things really better this way? :confused:

psychobilly
04-05-2012, 01:42 PM
Oh yeah, life is great, I started really live'n 10-25-02. It's a change I must admit, and sober people still do dumb chit too. lol Only difference is that you remember it and learn from it and try not to repeat... nome sain

thatsmrmastercraft
04-05-2012, 01:44 PM
Oh yeah, life is great, I started really live'n 10-25-02. It's a change I must admit, and sober people still do dumb chit too. lol Only difference is that you remember it and learn from it and try not to repeat... nome sain

Maybe not fewer headaches.........just different:rolleyes:

psychobilly
04-05-2012, 02:32 PM
Maybe not fewer headaches.........just different:rolleyes:

Thats right lol

Honkity Hank
04-06-2012, 10:00 AM

suBPart K – ventiLation
label that:

VAPORS.

A careful reading of the law reveals that it is not a law to run the blower, only to have a warning label as noted. No requirement for you to actually run the blower.

Stx221
04-06-2012, 10:11 AM
I run it when I remember. Always the first time starting for the day, but then again the doghouse is always open for a few minutes before going in the water as well to check oil, belt, plugs, ...

I try to run it before restarting each time if sitting for more than a few minutes. A few trips ago when I was out, I forgot to shut it off for about an hour and a half. When I finally realized it was on, I shut it off. Last time out, I noticed that the fan blades had basically disintegrated when the blade came out of the housing. New blower ordered and delivered this morning. Just need to find some new hosing to run to the transom and it will be set again. So the last time I was out, I just made sure to open the doghouse when idling or shut off (which was easy since I was diagnosing things the whole time :))

BRAZOS 205
04-06-2012, 06:02 PM
When I first bought my 97 prostar in 2004, I used the blower that whole summer before I cranked the engine. Then when I dug into the engine compartment to winterize the boat. I found that the blower hose was falling apart and not even one solid hose. I pretty much but 40 hours on the boat without ever using the blower. I have a new hose now, but I don't use it on every engine crank.

tex
04-06-2012, 06:23 PM
When I start mine to back it off the trailer...Motor cover up! Heard too many stories about a poor guy landing on top of his truck on fire!

OHpage21
04-06-2012, 06:47 PM
Every time its a cold start. Changing riders or a quick stop dont do it. Been sitting for a bit I run it. Better safe than the alternative.

psychobilly
04-06-2012, 08:57 PM
A careful reading of the law reveals that it is not a law to run the blower, only to have a warning label as noted. No requirement for you to actually run the blower.

Well I know when I took the Texas boaters safety course to get my insurance 10% cheaper, it was a test question, and the answer is 4 min...

I guess since it's a requirement to have the warning label that you must also follow the warning label, just like the label that states how many persons can be in the vessel....

Like there's Gunna be a copper standing at the dock with a stop watch anyway lol

toolz
04-06-2012, 10:30 PM
I figger the 20 min ride to the lake probably airs things out pretty well, but I still flip it on if I remember. I used to pay more attention to it on the carb boat- F.I. don't worry me too much. I do like to open the hatch before the first start-up of the day.

ski/hunt
04-06-2012, 10:45 PM
This thread sounds like the seat belt issue!!.....We all know that they save lives but not everybody uses one!?!?!? Something I've NEVER understood!!!
If running a blower can prevent fire, pain or death it's use is a no brainer for me!!

I'm glad this thread was brought up cause it will help me remember to let it run a little longer before start-ups then I do sometimes....
Kinda like many years ago when I was among the first on the scene of a car accident and the image of the guys crushed head that smashed through the windshield as he layed partially in the windshield and on the hood has kept me buckleing the belt every time I sit in a car!!...

trickskier
04-07-2012, 09:14 AM
I run ours constantly. Besides a little whisper of air in the background, what's the downside of having it on?

I run mine continously as well. Better SAFE than SORRY!!!

Goalie_ken
04-07-2012, 12:41 PM
Has anyone heard of an explosion with a fuel injected engine? Seems to make a lot of sense to run the blower on a carburatored motor, but on a closed fuel injected motor??