PDA

View Full Version : Starter motor gets stuck??

jsonova99
08-15-2005, 08:47 AM
I've had an intermittent problem the last few months where I'll turn the boat over and the starter motor will stay engaged. Kind of scary actually because I have to go and disconnect the battery cable producing a large spark next to the gas tank. :eek: At first I figured it was the relay, which I ended up breaking a post off of torubleshooting it. So I now have a brand new relay that worked fine the first time out, but on Saturday morning I hooked up the hose to give the boat a run in the driveway before heading out and the starter motor got stuck again. I disconnected the starter and sure enough using a circuit tester the post to the starter was hot as long as the battery was connected. With the starter disconnected, I just turned the key on and off a few times and the relay reset itself. I then hooked everything back up and started it with no problems, and when we got to the lake I had no problems all day. I did notice in the midst of my troubleshooting that prettymuch every screw holding a wire in the fuse block was loose, so I tightened everything down really good. I'm assuming things just rattle loose over time. I'm wondering if that may have had something to do with it. :confused:

BriEOD
08-15-2005, 09:11 AM
You say relay and I assume you mean the starter solenoid? Mine did the same thing this year and fortunately I had a spare solenoid (I had it from DIM). You can get one from DIM for about $22 and I bet you could take yours off and just go to an auto parts store. I'm not sure why you would need a "marinized" one. ICBW. It's just a plain ol' Ford Starter Solenoid. Replace it and I bet your problem will be solved.

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=R130001

jsonova99
08-15-2005, 09:16 AM
I did replace it, my starter solenoid has about 3 hours on it. When the starter did this again this weekend it was with the new solenoid. That's why I was wondering if a loose connection in the fuse box could have caused it. I guess I'll just consider it fixed for now unless it happens again.

sizzler
08-15-2005, 09:24 AM
I had a prob. where the key would not return to the on position after starting..it kept turning over the engine even when it was running....cant have done it any good .....
sprayed WD-40 into the barrel...cured it

jsonova99
08-15-2005, 09:27 AM
I had a prob. where the key would not return to the on position after starting..it kept turning over the engine even when it was running....cant have done it any good .....
sprayed WD-40 into the barrel...cured it

That would make sense, because I can't believe that my new solenoid is bad, that would be quite a coincidence. I'll give that a try, thanks.

T Scott
08-15-2005, 09:36 AM
JSnova,
You may consider a cheap "Perko" battery On/Off switch. They are relatively inexpensive and easy to wire. This way, in case of emergency, simply switch to off......

jsonova99
08-15-2005, 09:39 AM
JSnova,
You may consider a cheap "Perko" battery On/Off switch. They are relatively inexpensive and easy to wire. This way, in case of emergency, simply switch to off......

That's a good idea, because disconnecting that battery cable with the started kicking over is quite a light show. I actually have a 2nd degree burn on my thumb from something that shot off of it and burned me.

BriEOD
08-15-2005, 09:43 AM
I have one installed for my spare battery and it was most helpful when my solenoid got stuck.

89PROSTAR
08-15-2005, 10:53 AM
I have had the same problem. The starter kept turning while the key was in the run postion. I replaced the solenoid and it fixed it for awhile, the next time it happened I took a screw driver and tapped on the solenoid and it stoped. It has worked fine since :confused:

6ballsisall
08-15-2005, 10:56 AM
Make sure your battery is in good condition and fully charged. The brushes in the solenoid are self cleaning and if your battery is to low there will not be enough juice for the brushes to clean themselves and they just weld shut. This causes the problems you are having, thats why rapping it with a screwdriver breaks it loose

jsonova99
08-15-2005, 10:56 AM
I have had the same problem. The starter kept turning while the key was in the run postion. I replaced the solenoid and it fixed it for awhile, the next time it happened I took a screw driver and tapped on the solenoid and it stoped. It has worked fine since :confused:

Sounds just like my situation. I'm going with the recommendations on the thread, battery shut-off switch and some Wd-40 in the ignition barrel.

krra1
08-15-2005, 01:05 PM
Must be the weekend for starter problems. The same thing happened to me on Saturday. In the middle of the day I started the engine and heard a strange sound, I cut the engine and pulled the key but the sound did not stop. It lasted about 20 seconds. The boat started up seconds later without a problem and we headed straight for shore. The mechanic at the marina said it would be a good idea to have the starter re-conditioned. Cost about $150.00 in Maryland. The problem never returned and we skied the rest of the day on Saturday and Sunday morning.