PDA

View Full Version : Calibrating SG PP

Phntmski
04-02-2012, 11:23 AM
last year i installed a star gazer upgrade to my pp. this winter kyle helped me get much more power from the old worn out 240hp. (i have a couple interesting kyle pics to post) ok, so now i have this much more powerful engine. was never really satisfied with the stargazer calibration. it seemed to do ok if i had a longer setup but with a short setup it usually entered a little fast then settled down. now with an engine overhaul that gave me at least 315hp, probably more, star gazer has gone crazy. i use the quick calibration but even after that, no matter what speed i calibrate to run the course, with a skier or without, it still revs to 2-3mph fast before settling down. as a result my times are usually about a second fast. i'm gonna call skier 2 skier, where i bought it but am wondering if anyone has any idea about calibration settings. it's a 91 ps 190 with a slot.

life is good

:cool:

setidball
04-02-2012, 02:30 PM
I am far from an SG expert but this is how I have managed my similar complaints:
1. Anticipate the over speed during acceleration and back off the throttle a bit more and sooner. PP wont have to work so hard to dial back the fuel. This totally helps the over speed at the gates problem.
2. Set the base line RPM a bit low. Say 50 RPM. PP will engage a slightly sooner. I cannot confirm it but have heard others say this will also help to reduce the over speed at the gate.
3. Set the crew weight a bit low. I set it about 100 or 200 pounds less than what I think that actual crew weight is. This seems to trick PP into not fueling quite so much and thus seems to cut back on the time spent searching for the right speed mid way through a run (open water or in the course).

Like I started with, Im not the SG expert and Im sure that there are probably better ways to adjust PP for these complaints but these seem to have been pretty effective for me.

Also for open water skiing, I always switch back to PP Classic mode. The GPS mode seems like it is always hunting for the selected speed plus or minus 1.5 mph or mor,e even with no skiier. Classic does not seem to hunt around so much and holds speed to less than plus or minus 0.5 mph.
S

Phntmski
04-03-2012, 12:19 PM
thanks S, i'll try some of that. i've tried backing off the throttle sooner/more a few times and it always tells me it needs more throttle. BrianM has some settings i might try. talked with Max at skier 2 skier (actually we played phone tag) yesterday. he suggests throttle return spring first, not good satelite reception, or settings. hope to get it figured out soon.

19_Skier
04-03-2012, 12:40 PM
Maybe trying giving the folks at Perfect Pass a call? I've heard their customer service is top notch.

east tx skier
04-03-2012, 12:43 PM
There are settings in Stargazer to tweak your gate, 1, and 3 ball times a bit. It's either Menu and ^ or Menu and V together to get into those settings. On my boat, they all needed to be reduced for 34 and 36 mph. I have a zbox coming, but SG has always been pretty reliable for me.

I'm running around the same hp as you are currently plus gear reduction. Boat weight is probably pretty close as well.

Phntmski
04-03-2012, 04:54 PM
Maybe trying giving the folks at Perfect Pass a call? I've heard their customer service is top notch.

I've heard that too. To be honest I'm so old school simple I've been afraid to call for fear of international phone charges. Do they apply?

There are settings in Stargazer to tweak your gate, 1, and 3 ball times a bit. It's either Menu and ^ or Menu and V together to get into those settings. On my boat, they all needed to be reduced for 34 and 36 mph. I have a zbox coming, but SG has always been pretty reliable for me.

I'm running around the same hp as you are currently plus gear reduction. Boat weight is probably pretty close as well.

Doug - I toyed with those #s a little last year. Saw what Brian put on his and thought I might use those as a starting point. What do you think?

Honestly, I had a highly functional PP. I hope this isn't a constant source of frustration. It's supposed to be BETTER!

Phntmski
04-03-2012, 04:57 PM
Oh yeh, per the PPSG manual. I mounted my GPS puck underneath the deck. It never takes more than a few seconds to lock on so I believe the signal is strong.

east tx skier
04-03-2012, 05:55 PM
I've heard that too. To be honest I'm so old school simple I've been afraid to call for fear of international phone charges. Do they apply?

Doug - I toyed with those #s a little last year. Saw what Brian put on his and thought I might use those as a starting point. What do you think?

Honestly, I had a highly functional PP. I hope this isn't a constant source of frustration. It's supposed to be BETTER!

Yes, international charges apply. I had to speak with them twice yesterday. I used my google voice account to make the call for free. Just sign up for google voice, get a google number, type in the number in the US or Canada that you want to call and it will dial your phone, you answer, and it's ringing to the number you told it to dial. Works like a charm.

They will respond by email, too. Click the contact link on www.perfectpass.com

The numbers I use on my 98 Ski Nautique are in the attached PDF

Quick thought. Do you have magnets on your course? If not, are you using a hand timer.

Phntmski
04-04-2012, 04:16 PM
Thanks Doug,

I'll try these #'s as a base. Hope to get out next week. It's gonna be a year about 1/2 normal time on the water :(. We do have magnets.

Phntmski
04-08-2012, 12:11 AM
;)

:uglyhamme:uglyhamme

hey boys, looky what i found! a closet skidim customer!! :D

:eek3::eek3::eek3:

Phntmski
04-26-2012, 02:48 PM
:banana:

OK, finally made some progress. Turns out my throttle cable from the servo got a little frayed. As a result it kinda wadded up and got stuck. Cleaned it out yesterday for a temp fix and it is right on, head wind or tail wind. Yesterday was a windy day too. Ordered a new cable from skier 2 skier this morning which should be in next tues. Won't take it out until I get the new cable on. It's like a brand new boat!! Can't wait until next wed!!!!!

:dance:

east tx skier
04-26-2012, 03:24 PM
Well, how 'bout that!

Phntmski
04-26-2012, 06:33 PM
I've come to believe it's usually the most simple solutions that fix most problems. :D

Gonna try a new prop now. Got a couple props from ACME to try out. Will send one of em back. One is a 3 blade and one is 4. They're standard power slot size, 13.5 x 17.5. I'm trying 150 on the cup. Kinda afraid it might be a little spongy but hoping I have the power to push it. They'll change the cup for free if I don't like it. Of course they'll take both props back if I just don't want either. Just read earlier today how ACME props, being a little thinner are more fragile.....It's always something... :confused:

east tx skier
04-26-2012, 07:56 PM
I've come to believe it's usually the most simple solutions that fix most problems. :D

Gonna try a new prop now. Got a couple props from ACME to try out. Will send one of em back. One is a 3 blade and one is 4. They're standard power slot size, 13.5 x 17.5. I'm trying 150 on the cup. Kinda afraid it might be a little spongy but hoping I have the power to push it. They'll change the cup for free if I don't like it. Of course they'll take both props back if I just don't want either. Just read earlier today how ACME props, being a little thinner are more fragile.....It's always something... :confused:

Bottom line, if you hit something with a prop, it's going to bend and the boat is going to vibrate to no end and you will need to have it repaired. I have been running acme props since 2003 and have never had anything but great success with them. They are well built and perform well. The blades are thinner than an OJ, but the surface area is huge on the 3 blade by comparison. You will notice a great hit in the hole shot from the three blade and very quiet performance. If you have a power slot, I'd give that four blade some good consideration, too. I know that on my current boat, Acme recommends a four blade. I can't remember if it is because it is on a gear reduced transmission or what.

Again, I know Eric from OJ is a member here, and a very active and helpful one at that. Johnson makes fantastic propellers, that much is without debate. He was so nice and helpful to me when I was interested in comparing props. He even sent me a prop puller to make my life easier and told me to keep it even though I didn't keep the prop. My father in law is on his second OJ XMP on his 98 205 and loves it. He should. It's a great prop for him. It gives a nice soft pull, probably a touch softer than a comparable Acme if I had to guess.

But there is an important point here. There are some who will tell you to go with one manufacturer over another without any experience across brands. Eric is, of course, excused since he is OJ. But those other persons are obviously loyal to what they have on their boats. Fine. But as someone who has compared two props side by side across these two brands (and BrianM is another who has a lot of experience with both brands), I can tell you that there is not a one size (or brand) fits all solution. These two companies have different designs, and it's so plain just from looking at the props. Your absolute best bet is to try props from each manufacturer and make a decision based on what works best for YOU. Anyone who tells you one is bar none better than the other no matter the boat, the driver, the skier, the boarder, the application, etc. likely doesn't have experience across brands, has likely not bothered to compare across brands, and is just being supportive of what they have.

Just my opinion.

Phntmski
04-27-2012, 09:53 AM
Thx Doug, I'm excited and eager to get out and run these props. Gonna mount the 4 blade today so hopefully after the PP cable gets here tues I can get out next wed. I'd like to get a short line skier, Kyle, behind it to see how it pulls at '35 off.

east tx skier
04-27-2012, 10:44 AM
Good luck. I think it will pull 35 off well. My old 205 got to do that a time or two. It's fun seeing these boats doing what they were designed to do. I got to see my SN pull several 38 off sets at 34 and 36. Yeehaa!!!