PDA

View Full Version : swivel board rack locked up

bcd
04-02-2012, 11:57 AM
Anyone have issues with their board racks locking up? One of mine has been touchy ever since I got the boat. This last weekend, it got worse and now no longer rotates at all. Luckily it's froze up in the rotated in position, so I can still get the tower down to get the boat in the garage. I've got a call in to my dealer, but he's an hour and half drive away. Wondering if anyone's had issues and how difficult they were to repair. It's a new boat, so I'm hoping I could maybe just take it apart, find a loose part, and put it back together myself.

CantRepeat
04-02-2012, 12:04 PM
Which boat is this on, your 2012 X2?

Is the knob completely screwed out?

bcd
04-02-2012, 12:12 PM
Yes 2012 X-2. It won't rotate no matter where the knob is at. When I first got it, if I had the knob screwed all the way out, it would sometimes catch. If I screwed it in a little, then it would work. Now, no matter where I have the knob, it won't move at all. On the side that works fine, I screw the knob all the way out, and it rotates no problem.

I'm hoping that some internal parts came loose and that's all it is, but I don't want to take it apart until I at least talk to my dealer about the issue. I did try tightening the 4 allen bolts on top and 2 on the bottom, and they are all tight.

CantRepeat
04-02-2012, 12:14 PM
Yeah, I wonder if the knob is just spinning and the screw is not coming out of the locking hole.

I gotta run to the tax man today, but if I have time when I get home I'll take one apart and look at it to see if I can offer more help.

wakeX2wake
04-02-2012, 01:37 PM
might be worth checking to see if your knob is actually turning the screw it is attached to(obviously it just works as a set screw more or less)... i have over-tightened mine before and when i loosened it the knob came completely off instead of releasing the set screw... to correct it i had to screw the knob back on with loctite/any other type of adhesive and then it backed right off and i just have to mindful that more isn't always better... just a thought... good luck

bcd
04-02-2012, 01:47 PM
The threaded stud is definitely screwing out with the knob.

CantRepeat
04-02-2012, 01:49 PM
It has to be something pretty simple and I would agree the screw in set screw is more then likely the issue.

As you can see from the photo it is just a couple of groves with big teflon washers to ride on. Disassembling the rack is just the 12 screws. If you take it apart you could easily figure out what the issue is.

http://www.mikesell.net/images/boat/rack.jpg

bcd
04-02-2012, 05:00 PM
Thanks for the picture, but it looks like the design is different for the new tower. Mine doesn't split apart. I also just got off the phone with my dealer. He said I could go ahead and take it apart and let him know if I find anything broken. The ZFT3 rotated around the main tower support and split apart to go on. The ZFT2 is more of a stand alone design. I don't have a close up picture handy, but here's what it looks like. I'll take it apart when I get home tonight and see what I find.

CantRepeat
04-02-2012, 05:10 PM
I see that now, sorry. Good luck and post up your findings!!

MattsCraft
04-02-2012, 05:15 PM
I would put money on the set screw is not coming all the way out to allow it to rotate. The MC knobs are famous for un-threading from the stock, why they don't pin them or at least lock tight the knob on the stock screw is beyond me. Before you go to taking the entire thing apart, I would make sure the set screw is unwinding the same amount as the side that works.

Also, if the knob does ever screw all the way off (promise it will some day), find yourself a couple of nuts the same size and thread count, this way, with the double nut you can wrench the screw shaft out.

bcd
04-02-2012, 09:47 PM
I verified that the set screw is unscrewing all the way. You can look inbetween the parts and see it screw out to clear the rotating (at least what used to rotate) portion. I didn't get very far on the disassembly. I took the 4 top screws off, which removed the rotating portion from the tower. I tried to remove the 2 bolts on the bottom, and they wouldn't come out. I torqued on them pretty good. They moved a little, then quit rotating. I don't want to really torque on them until I call my dealer again and make sure I'm not going to break anything. Here's the pictures showing the part as it is now.