PDA

View Full Version : Stock Ballasts - MC Behind the Curve...?

mpabreo
04-02-2012, 11:44 AM
I'm curious as to why MC has not upped the size/weight capabilities of the stock ballast system in the X boats? Others such as Epic, Nautique, etc are offering 2800-4000 lbs with a hard tank/factory system. Even the new x-star offers only what, 1600? Not that I'm in the market for a new boat, but would think with the new x-star and all the hype that went into promoting it, this would have been something that was addressed. After all, if you're buying that boat at who knows what cost, you're gonna be weighting it down with more than 1600lbs.

Just makes sense to me to offer hard tanks (in all x-boats) with much more capacity. Not everyone will or has to use them to the full potential. It really sucks when all your floor space is taken up by fatsacs.

CantRepeat
04-02-2012, 11:53 AM
I'm sure it's a liability issue. Someone would injury their friends and then try to sue MC over it. Oh wait.

scott023
04-02-2012, 12:08 PM
I agree somewhat, but the % of boat owners that need OR WANT that amount of ballast is minimal. The majority of MC owners bought their X boats as a status symbol, and ont need 4k worth of ballast to tube with.

I hate having the fat sacs on the floor as much as anyone, but the builder is going to build to the requirements of the majority.

93Prostar190
04-02-2012, 12:20 PM
Is it possible that it is not always a question of weight to achieve the desired wake?

Certainly ... weight = displacement and that helps .... but weight distribution and hull design can also be factors that help shape the wake for most of the riding public ..... I know most of the boat I have ever ridden behind with "brute" weight alone tend to be rampy and steep ...

with that said, I have always wondered the same thing you ask in your initial post. It seems like the hard tanks take alot of the space and people end up plumbing added sacs into their storage nooks ....

Oh well ... I slalom mostly .. so I will shut up now. Great question though ....

zamboniman
04-02-2012, 02:11 PM
Has to be related to liability and more importantly coast guard weight limits for the given hull. Without designing the hull to specific weight capability there isn't room for passengers + extra ballast.

Could also be reason you see new nautique looks so tubby and huge free board.

Basically its one thing to be able to load a given boat down its another to certify it with said load.. just my opinion

bjames
04-02-2012, 02:23 PM
More Ballast (stock or plug&play) also put way more stress on the hull and the engine. However as stated earlier its not just ballast that determines the size of wake. You also have to consider the gross weight of the boat. I think MC's are generally heavier than most other mfgs of equivalent size.

agarabaghi
04-02-2012, 02:28 PM
pretty sure water ballast is not counted towards cga rating as it is neutral weight once the boat is sinking lol...

CantRepeat
04-02-2012, 02:46 PM
pretty sure water ballast is not counted towards cga rating as it is neutral weight once the boat is sinking lol...

Yeah, I think you'd be wrong on that one, weight is weight regardless of the item.

BrooksfamX2
04-02-2012, 03:11 PM
How about the Beer weight?? Thats what we'd be concerned about.........

CantRepeat
04-02-2012, 03:12 PM
How about the Beer weight?? Thats what we'd be concerned about.........

The good news here is, as the day goes on my boat gets lighter based off of your post!

Jeff d
04-02-2012, 03:21 PM
Yeah, I think you'd be wrong on that one, weight is weight regardless of the item.

Density is a factor in whether the boat will actually sink to the bottom or if it will just get swamped and be potentially salvageable. Weight may indeed = weight in the Coast Guard's book though.

CantRepeat
04-02-2012, 03:34 PM
Density is a factor in whether the boat will actually sink to the bottom or if it will just get swamped and be potentially salvageable. Weight may indeed = weight in the Coast Guard's book though.

Which is the only thing I was referring to. :D