PDA

View Full Version : NEED HELP: DMV trailer title NIGHTMARE

Age Fighter
04-02-2012, 11:26 AM
Situation:
08 X14 sold by MC of Charlotte to owner near Raleigh in 2008 new, cash deal, with trailer.

That owner moves to Charleston in 2010 with poor access to ski able water, and sells boat - ironically, to another Raleigh owner - ME. Cash deal.

I sell boat last week to guy from Virginia - cash deal.

PROBLEM: No one realized it, but the title never transferred on trailer from MC of Charlotte - the now out of business operation - to the Raleigh owner. Since trailer was rarely used and no one had liens, this was not noticed until last couple of days.

NEED some way to cut through red tape. We have out of business Charlotte dealer, very busy first owner in Charleston and all over the country traveling on business, and me very busy in Raleigh, etc. HELP.

Thrall
04-02-2012, 11:38 AM
I presume both states title trailers.
Is the original a title or a MCO (manufacturer's cert of origin)?
If it's a title, just have the guy sign it over to himself from the dealer. The DMV won't know any different.
Another option may be....lots of people on here know Mike? from MCOC and he may be able to help if you can get thru to him.

ryfly161
04-02-2012, 11:55 AM
Give lee a cal at the new mastercraft dealer in charlotte their website is charlotteskiboats.com. I bought a boat from them last year and lee is good people and will probably be able to help you out

aswile
04-02-2012, 12:50 PM
I had an issue on my PS205 where the trailer was never titled when purchased new- they just used it a couple of time a year and never had it tagged. I went through the auto theft division at the DMV in Delaware- they checked the numbers on the trailer and determined that there was no reports of it being stolen. They then stamped on new numbers and issued me a title based on these new numbers. I had no problems when I sold the boat- untitled trailers are pretty common around here.

Andy

east tx skier
04-02-2012, 12:51 PM
Agreed. Call Lee. He was part of MC of Charlotte back in the day and may be able to help you hunt down the information.

shepherd
04-02-2012, 02:25 PM
It's very likely that Lee was the salesman who sold the boat to the original owner in 2008. He may be able to help or point you in the right direction.

Age Fighter
04-02-2012, 03:18 PM
Give lee a cal at the new mastercraft dealer in charlotte their website is charlotteskiboats.com. I bought a boat from them last year and lee is good people and will probably be able to help you out

Some great ideas here, so thanks to all....I like the Delaware option but since the NC DMV has flagged this in their system I don't think we could pull that off, but it's a great idea.

I may do what is suggested above, but I hate to bother Lee with a stupid piece of government bureaucratic paperwork that won't profit him a dime. I have never met him but I realize he was part of the old dealership and now still involved - and I know of his great reputation.

boater8987
04-02-2012, 04:02 PM
If the new owner lives in VA. here is the porcedure for getting an abandoned vehecle title. $25 and go through this procedure. Takes a few weeks, but no big deal. He can apply for it as long as he has the correct vin # Just follow the procedure online and go to DMV in less than 30 days and get tiltle in his name. https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/apps/AVP/intropage.aspx

Age Fighter
04-02-2012, 04:10 PM
If the new owner lives in VA. here is the porcedure for getting an abandoned vehecle title. $25 and go through this procedure. Takes a few weeks, but no big deal. He can apply for it as long as he has the correct vin # Just follow the procedure online and go to DMV in less than 30 days and get tiltle in his name. https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/apps/AVP/intropage.aspx

The new owner DOES live in VA - so this might be the ticket.
THANKS.

Table Rocker
04-02-2012, 04:33 PM
I bought an untitled trailer (Oklahoma trailer, and they don't title them) and brought it to Arkansas. What I had to do was have a Bill of Sale with the VIN # and the seller's Oklahoma address and I was fine. Since it is a border state, it is fairly common here.

Going the other direction is the opposite. Arkansas doesn't title boats and Oklahoma does.

Cloaked
04-02-2012, 10:26 PM
Situation:
08 X14 sold by MC of Charlotte to owner near Raleigh in 2008 new, cash deal, with trailer.

That owner moves to Charleston in 2010 with poor access to ski able water, and sells boat - ironically, to another Raleigh owner - ME. Cash deal.

I sell boat last week to guy from Virginia - cash deal.

PROBLEM: No one realized it, but the title never transferred on trailer from MC of Charlotte - the now out of business operation - to the Raleigh owner. Since trailer was rarely used and no one had liens, this was not noticed until last couple of days.

NEED some way to cut through red tape. We have out of business Charlotte dealer, very busy first owner in Charleston and all over the country traveling on business, and me very busy in Raleigh, etc. HELP.
Possibly???? => Apply in your state for a lost title. Done deal. They will reinvent a new title for the trailer with the SN.

JohnE
04-03-2012, 08:26 PM
If some of the other options do not pan out, call Lee. I know him well and he will help if he can.

psychobilly
04-03-2012, 09:27 PM
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?p=681833

Have a read in this thread on what I had to go through to get my trailer titled. And I had the original tittle from when the boat was bran new, but since the trailer hadn't been turtles in years I went through hell!!!!!

Age Fighter
04-04-2012, 08:07 PM
Possibly???? => Apply in your state for a lost title. Done deal. They will reinvent a new title for the trailer with the SN.

That won't work, because it is my state that has this VIN tagged in their system as having bad paperwork.