PDA

View Full Version : Strut bearing replacement

89BigBlock
04-01-2012, 09:23 PM
I need to change my strut bearings on the 190. I was planning to use the "Cutless removal tool" before I found out the price!!! There's the new prop I wanted to try this yr :( Has anyone used this thing before? Any tips or is it as easy as they advertise? Does anyone have a used one they wanna sell? :o

psychobilly
04-02-2012, 06:54 AM
There's a detailed thread in here, just use the search feature of the forum.

edit: Here I didn't the foot work for you. :-)

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=45414

89BigBlock
04-02-2012, 02:35 PM
thanks Billy. I saw your thread but it entails removing the shaft. The price of the tool in questions is the deciding factor other than having the dealer do the work. $400 is not that far away from a dealer quote. I like tools but $400 to use one time is a little much.

psychobilly
04-02-2012, 04:01 PM
I don't know any other way of changing them without removing the shaft.... One comes out the front of the strut and the other put the rear unless I'm missing something here.

ahhudgins
04-02-2012, 04:02 PM
thanks Billy. I saw your thread but it entails removing the shaft. The price of the tool in questions is the deciding factor other than having the dealer do the work. $400 is not that far away from a dealer quote. I like tools but $400 to use one time is a little much.

Removing the shaft on a DD is pretty easy and only requires basic tools. Plus, it gives you a chance to clean/lubricate all of the mating surfaces in case you ever have to take it apart again in the future. My bearings came out fairly easy by just tapping them with a long extension and a hammper. I've replaced the bearings in my previous DD and my present V-drive without having to remove the strut.

93Prostar190
04-02-2012, 04:29 PM
My $0.02 ... I bought the removal tool ... and I used it on my 93 Prostar 190. It worked well ... but it took an awful lot of pounding with the slide hammer ..... almost felt like it wasn't moving at times.

I cannot imagine doing the repair without it ... there are some methods where people have cut the bearing with a hack saw blade, etc ....

In any case ... my experience is ... the job is fairly easy ..... it all depends how snug those bearings fit into the strut.

Pulling the shaft is not that hard to do ....if you are close to Columbus Oh. ... you are welcome to borrow mine.

Good luck.

89BigBlock
04-02-2012, 08:10 PM
Hmm..let me ask this, when should the bearings be replaced? Should I be able to hear the shaft move other than in rotation? Thanks again in advance.

Cloaked
04-02-2012, 09:29 PM
http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/replacing_a_cutlass

Food for thought...