PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading An '05 MC Trailer To LED Questions

holdenh2o
04-01-2012, 11:57 AM
Are the LEDs the standard 6" oval with grommet?

Any brand to look for/stay away from?

Are these just plug n play?

Should I rewire my trailer while I'm at it?

Best way to "pop out" old lights?

TIA

Cloaked
04-01-2012, 01:13 PM
Are the LEDs the standard 6" oval with grommet?

Any brand to look for/stay away from?

Are these just plug n play?

Should I rewire my trailer while I'm at it?

Best way to "pop out" old lights?

TIA I just did my trailer. What I found was that the ovals are indeed a particular generic size but make sure you find the "correct" size that fit the hole size in the trailer. I called and questioned e-trailer dot com (very little reassurance of anything) and ordered and installed this: ==> http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lights/Optronics/STL22RB.html

I also wanted to replace the grommets and ordered the accompanying grommets for the light(s) and they turned out too small (to fit the cut-out), so I used the others from the original installation. This worked OK but point being, check your trailer cut-out dimensions as you order. I also ordered new pigtails for each light because they are cheap and it also allowed for di-electric coating from a new start. While in there, I attached all new shrink connectors, cleaned up all of the ground connections, and am pleased with the install. I also converted the "over 80" " center bar light to LED.

I did not find the same lights from the truck-lite series that was the original install so these (above link) were as close as I could find that would fit properly. Turned out well to suit me.

No need to re-wire unless you find poor wire or the wire coating is messed up from use and is creating a short to blow fuses.

The old lamps come out with a flat-blade and a little prying, no big deal and everything is plug-and-play.

I was not willing to re-wire through the trailer frame and the wiring harness seems OK. If I do re-wire, I'll run external 1/4" conduit for routing.

Jeff d
04-01-2012, 01:28 PM
For my '00 I just bought 6" oval LEDs from wal-mart for like $8 each. They came with the correct grommets. Pigtails were included but they were plug and play with the factory connectors. I think Pilot was the brand and despite being the cheapest I saw anywhere they look good, are really bright and have worked fine for two seasons.