PDA

View Full Version : boat and trailer length

occva
03-31-2012, 06:42 PM
I have a 1986 MC on a factory trailer. My garage is too short and I plan to bump it out so the boat fits and I don't have to store away from home in the winter. The boat is 2 hours away.

Can someone with a 86 or S&S with factory trailer please measure from tip of the tongue to the end of the platform. I have a couple numbers written down from last year and want to make sure I bump out far enough. I think the correct number I have in 261 1/2 inches.

Thanks...

liledgy
03-31-2012, 07:08 PM
I can fit my 85 on a mc trailer in my 24' long garage with 5-6" to spare. Your 86 should be the same or very close.

occva
03-31-2012, 07:17 PM
I can fit my 85 on a mc trailer in my 24' long garage with 5-6" to spare. Your 86 should be the same or very close.

That would make your boat and trailer18'-6". Doesn't sound right.
Some idiot built my garage 20'.(not me)

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk

Cloaked
03-31-2012, 08:10 PM
I figure 24' from tip to tail of the platform. I do not have an exact measurement from the 85 model. It's in storage.

liledgy
04-01-2012, 06:18 PM
No. I have 5-6" inches to spare. So it's a little less tan 24' feet.

-V-
04-01-2012, 07:16 PM
don't wanna be that guy but;

' = feet
" = inches

occva
04-01-2012, 07:25 PM
No. I have 5-6" inches to spare. So it's a little less tan 24' feet.

Sorry, read that as 5'-6".

I made the trip last night. Boat is 19 feet. Platform extends 15 3/4 inches out from the rear vent. Tip of the tongue is 17 3/4 inches from the tip of the bow. Total 21'-9 1/2".

d2jp
04-01-2012, 08:27 PM
Sorry, read that as 5'-6".

I made the trip last night. Boat is 19 feet. Platform extends 15 3/4 inches out from the rear vent. Tip of the tongue is 17 3/4 inches from the tip of the bow. Total 21'-9 1/2".

I just installed a set of Alloy Marine lift-off brackets so that I can remove my platform to make the garage fit roomier. (my garage is 24' deep).

After I back the boat in, I put storage casters under each wheel (using a floor jack) and while the trailer is still hooked up, I then push the trailer against the wall, unhook trailer and done.

You might try removing your platform/brackets and angling the trailer into the corner....it 'might' fit.

occva
04-01-2012, 10:00 PM
I just installed a set of Alloy Marine lift-off brackets so that I can remove my platform to make the garage fit roomier. (my garage is 24' deep).

After I back the boat in, I put storage casters under each wheel (using a floor jack) and while the trailer is still hooked up, I then push the trailer against the wall, unhook trailer and done.

You might try removing your platform/brackets and angling the trailer into the corner....it 'might' fit.

I already thought about this approach. However it is still too large, even if I upgraded to gps speedo and removed the pitot tubes. I am bumping the rear wall out 2'-6". This will give me room on the other side for tool boxes and I can still get the wifes car in.

I still might install the removeable brackets so i can walk around the tongue when the door is closed.

d2jp
04-01-2012, 10:36 PM
I already thought about this approach. However it is still too large, even if I upgraded to gps speedo and removed the pitot tubes. I am bumping the rear wall out 2'-6". This will give me room on the other side for tool boxes and I can still get the wifes car in.

I still might install the removeable brackets so i can walk around the tongue when the door is closed.

The Alloy Marine brackets might require you to notch the teak swim platform to clear the transom lifting rings (mine did). I wanted the added room the lift off brackets provide, their design is pretty simple and a good solution for the compound curve of the transom.
http://i427.photobucket.com/albums/pp355/d2jp/MasterCraft/transombracket.jpg
http://i427.photobucket.com/albums/pp355/d2jp/MasterCraft/platformbracket.jpg
http://i427.photobucket.com/albums/pp355/d2jp/MasterCraft/alloymarine.gif

My 'other side' has a big roll cab tool box and a '67 MGB I've had forever. My wife used to park her car in there, but I explained the MC was worth more long term!

I hope to hit the lake tomorrow - first time and really early for around these parts!

occva
05-28-2012, 07:05 PM
It fits!!!

Extended the garage 28".

The boat is home for good. No more storing away for winter.

Double D
05-28-2012, 07:12 PM
It fits!!!

Extended the garage 28".

The boat is home for good. No more storing away for winter.m

Nice work!

Sent from Never Neverland using my iPhone 4 on Tapatalk

Cloaked
05-28-2012, 10:21 PM
One of the cleaner looking 86 models I have seen. Keep it original.....

d2jp
05-28-2012, 11:03 PM
Garage and boat both look really good!

PineLakeRumble
01-22-2013, 01:09 PM
Great looking garage extension Occva. I'm a little late to the thread but looking for some feedback if anyone is interested. I too am looking to fit a 19" Mastercraft in a 20' garage. I recently purchased a very clean 1986 Mastercraft. The purchase is a bit of an adventure. I live in Ontario, the boat is waiting for me in Florida. I'm planning a 4 day round trip in March which is why I'm trying to get my storage details finalized.

Some questions for those of you who have installed removable swim platform brackets.

1. Any surprises while installing the Marine Alloy brackets?

2. How was the fit and finish? Did you have to make any modifications to the brackets or platform?

3. Once installed, how solid was the platform? Does it rattle while the boat idles?

4. Any disappointments with the product? Any tips for the install?

Any tips regarding swim platform, long distance transport, and importing boats to Canada are most welcome.

All the best,

PineLakeRumble

d2jp
01-22-2013, 01:14 PM
Good looking boat! I'm pleased with my alloy marine brackets and sent you a PM.
Jack

thatsmrmastercraft
01-22-2013, 01:48 PM
That boat is beautiful!

Sodar
01-22-2013, 02:05 PM
That boat is SWEET!! Looks like someone had the same idea for a boat, as I did, only they were 20 years ahead of me!

PineLakeRumble
01-22-2013, 03:10 PM
Many thanks for the kind words. I'm very much looking forward to bringing the boat home. You know you've got it bad when you open up the BayAreaWatersport website just to hear that boat fire up!

thatsmrmastercraft
01-22-2013, 04:14 PM
Many thanks for the kind words. I'm very much looking forward to bringing the boat home. You know you've got it bad when you open up the BayAreaWatersport website just to hear that boat fire up!

Make a few video clips of your boat running at home in the driveway and at the lake this upcoming season. You can then listen to your own boat running to help get through the off season.

orbeamlb
01-22-2013, 04:38 PM

My PS200 fits in diagonally (2 car section of my garage with a little room to spare. I think it's about 10 to 12 inches longer than a S&S and add another 18 inches for the OB.

occva
01-22-2013, 06:57 PM
Beautiful 86! Super clean.

CC2MC
01-23-2013, 09:55 AM
Nice looking SS! Welcome!