PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing a used skid steer, how many hours are too many?

jkski
03-31-2012, 08:05 AM
I need some opinions on how many hours are too many to consider when purchasing a used skid steer.
I have finally come to the realization that for at least the next 2 years I will need a skid steer while building by new house, and likely, I will find that having it is just way to handy and end up keeping it. So, I have been on a mad search for a nice used unit that I can buy for $9k or less that can lift at min 1750lbs (Bobcat 773, S175, S185, New Holland LX665, 885, LS170, LS180 or equivalent).

As you can imagine, most things I find are either beat to heck or have high hours, so in an effort to get the cleanest, newest machine I figure I may have to sacrifice and accept high hours. So, what is too many hours to consider? I realize that a lot depends on how the unit was used and maintained but for example I cam across a nice looking 03 Bobcat S185 with 5200 hours on it and it fits the budget......looks new but the hours say otherwise.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

erkoehler
03-31-2012, 09:16 AM
We have 6,000 now on our machine.

I'd try to find one with under 4,000 hours. Maintenance and labor is very expensive, its a minimum $1,000 every time it hits the shop.

Duane D
03-31-2012, 09:21 AM
Stay away from any that have done duty in a chicken house. That stuff is very corrosive and they rust out from the bottom up.

jkski
03-31-2012, 09:46 AM
Thanks guys. I had found a nice used unit with low hours that was traded in by a municipality, however, when I found out it had a hammer on the front most of it's life, that pretty much turned me off to that one.

I am considering put it on for snow removal next season (if we get snow), so that I can earn a little money with it when it would otherwise be sitting. I would lease/rent it to a friend who would supply the operator and fuel.

Again, keep the thoughts comin, I appreciate the info.

captain planet
03-31-2012, 02:13 PM
Thanks guys. I had found a nice used unit with low hours that was traded in by a municipality, however, when I found out it had a hammer on the front most of it's life, that pretty much turned me off to that one.

I am considering put it on for snow removal next season (if we get snow), so that I can earn a little money with it when it would otherwise be sitting. I would lease/rent it to a friend who would supply the operator and fuel.

Again, keep the thoughts comin, I appreciate the info.

We'll rent it from you when we have projects that require one.

jkski
03-31-2012, 03:23 PM
Maybe a good question to ask is: Is it a pipedream to think I will find what I am looking for with a $9k budget? What should I expect to spend?

jkski
03-31-2012, 03:24 PM
We'll rent it from you when we have projects that require one.

Get in line as I already have a list of people who want to use it......I can be bought though!

stuartmcnair
04-02-2012, 11:43 AM
I use one regularly that has over that number of hours...Bobcat 773. If it has been maintained then the hours are not an issue. I would suggest taking it in first thing and having all the belts and hoses replaced on the whole machine. Change all the fluids and you will be good to go for a long, long time.

jkski
04-02-2012, 01:04 PM
Thanks guys. I just bought a 2005 John Deere 317 that has 2600 hours on it, so let the fun begin!!! I'll pick it up later this week and post some pics then.

Thanks again for the advice, I greatly appreciate it.

DemolitionMan
04-02-2012, 02:07 PM
I am late to posting on this topic, but case makes a great skid steer. Stay away from skid steers that had a hammer on them.

jkski
04-12-2012, 09:00 AM
Well, here it is, the 2005 John Deere 317 ready to work.

captain planet
04-12-2012, 09:39 AM
Get in line as I already have a list of people who want to use it......I can be bought though!

I have a Bobcat T-300 that I can get my hands on push come to shove. It is in my garage right now and was used to build my extra garage. I will use it next week to pull out all the bushes and a small tree by the house next week.

Nice skid steer though. You will have fun....I mean, you will work well on that. ;)

jkski
04-13-2012, 07:56 AM
That T300 is a great machine and will do a lot of damage in a hurry. I would have loved to have bought a tracked machine but the price of those used is still way out of my price range. I will have to settle for adding over the tire tracks to mine when the $$$ allows and in the meantime I just have to hope I do not get stuck!