PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning the Transmission Filter

holdenh2o
03-30-2012, 09:59 PM
My first attempt today along with the transmission oil/fluid.

Pretty neat how the "cap" is secured to the housing.

Question: If I could only get a little over 2 qts out, am I ok? Of course, I replaced what I took out.

mikeg205
03-30-2012, 10:21 PM
that's correct...that's the general consensus... get the spec on your trans on how much fluid should be in there....then when you get the tranny to operating temp check the level again... make the adjustment when tranny warm.

holdenh2o
03-30-2012, 10:42 PM
Thanks. The new oil is RP 15w40, mixed with whatever the PO had in there - probably conventional oil.

vogelm1
03-31-2012, 08:45 AM
Is this for the boat listed in your signature? Spec is Dexron ATF and not motor oil (unless there's been an update I'm not aware of).

vogelm1
03-31-2012, 08:47 AM
On second read, maybe you already did tranny and were talking about crankcase oil. Sorry about that. :o

holdenh2o
03-31-2012, 10:05 AM
vogelm1,

Actually transmission oil IS 15w40. The was an update by MC that was posted on here by engine nut. The MC manual also calls for it. Plus, my transmission has a 15w40 sticker on it from the factory. Goes against what we were taught, but that is the right oil for the transmission.

treiter
03-31-2012, 11:22 AM
Quick question about transmission oil filters. I have an 09 X-15 so obviously V-drive (ZF-63). I visited my dealer yesterday and the service guys said they did not suggest a filter change on this transmission as there is concern about debris trapped in the filter being dropped back in to the transmission when removing the filter??? I looked at the schematic and I'm not sure a believe this as the filter sits on top of the transmission and is easy to access. Has anyone else heard of this before? My boat only has 60 hours so I am not all that concerned about changing the filter, but at soime point this must need to happen.

holdenh2o
03-31-2012, 11:38 AM
I had to call Texas Ski Ranch 3 times with questions yesterday. The service manager mentioned that he would not have even touched the filter (too few hours), but while I had already gone ahead, just take some brake cleaner and clean it out. When re-assembling, I was very cautious to ensure that it was super clean. I look at it this way - it's a filter, it needs to be cleaned to do its jobs. The filter is of metal construction and should last forever. Trepidation on my part slowed down what is a very simple process.

vogelm1
03-31-2012, 05:14 PM
vogelm1,

Actually transmission oil IS 15w40. The was an update by MC that was posted on here by engine nut. The MC manual also calls for it. Plus, my transmission has a 15w40 sticker on it from the factory. Goes against what we were taught, but that is the right oil for the transmission.

Well I'll be...heard about it for the V-drives but not for DD's. That is good to know and will have to look into EngineNuts post. Thanks -

Table Rocker
04-04-2012, 12:41 AM
For clarification, here is the post by Engine Nut that is referred to above.

http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=815995&postcount=3