PDA

View Full Version : boatbuddy is crap (gel coat repair)

Deltaxstar
03-30-2012, 05:14 PM
ill just start by saying my boatbuddy is a hunk of junk. besides it always leaving rubber and marks on my keel area this time it decided to break and the pin put some nice scratches in my gelcoat. im not starting this to put any negative feedback to anyone but ill let you know my story. i called a place local to me called pro-fiberglass in livermore CA. told him about the damage then ended up sending him pics. he told me $400 to repair i said ok well whats the next step? he said give me the vin # to verify the right color so i did that and waited like 4 days for a call back. never got a call back so i called and he said oh yea thats a mastercraft and the color only comes in a quart so ill have to charge you $650 i was like um no thanks. so i went online and searched gel coat repairs watched a few vids on youtube and found this **** called spectrum color on iboats.com cost me $30 for a little bottle and the catalyst and went to town. its a very easy process and it cost me about $50 total and maybe a total of 3 hours. heres the pics.

http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr344/oaktownraider_photo/DSC03366.jpg
http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr344/oaktownraider_photo/DSC03365.jpg

after

http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr344/oaktownraider_photo/DSC03370.jpg
http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr344/oaktownraider_photo/DSC03367.jpg

so there you go not the best pics in the world but you get the point. and i seen a thread about a guy worried about his new x2 not fitting in his garage and all these crazy ideas heres a pic for you!!

http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr344/oaktownraider_photo/DSC03371.jpg

J NORRIS
03-30-2012, 05:19 PM
Man that bites! I have had good luck with mine since '01, and I love it. It does leave grey markings on the gel, but the marks have always come right off when washing it.

mikeg205
03-30-2012, 05:32 PM
nice job....you have lot's of room left...not...

bjames
03-30-2012, 06:51 PM
Just courious, how did you manage to damage the aft side of the bow eye? Did the boat overshoot the boat buddy? Judging from the damage, that looks like metal came into contact with the gel. That totally sucks, but i have never had any issues (knock on wood) with mine.

Deltaxstar
03-30-2012, 06:57 PM
I always have powered my boats on the trailer this is the first time I have had a boat buddy and it basically The bow eye hit the part that releases the pin somehow that broke and the eye went through the rubber allowing the boat to go too far up the trailer and some exposed metal tore it up. I have tried to "walk" the boat up the trailer before and couldn't do it I'm actually interested to hear how people on here put there pickle forks on the trailer

mikeg205
03-30-2012, 07:48 PM
Sounds like the trailer was a bit too deep in the water. That is usually when damage happens at the bow...on the hull when too shalllow. I don't motor up... I get close and wench her up...been doing that for 30 years and never had an issue in any boat. Unfortunately most of the boat ramps I use have strong current and motoring up hard would require a fast load....to fast for my comfort.

Dylan
03-30-2012, 07:58 PM
Beautiful boat, and great job! Looks like it matched well too!

east tx skier
03-30-2012, 08:13 PM
Mine never did that to my boat, but it left nasty black marks. Agreed on the quality of the rubber part.

ted shred
03-30-2012, 09:04 PM
Nice job! I think I will look at this to repair the rear spoiler on my wife's camaro. Some how a rock the size of a golf ball took a small chunk out of the leading edge. Body shop wants 600+to fix.

Deltaxstar
03-30-2012, 09:54 PM
I usually have the top of the fenders sticking out of the water just a little bit then it's fine. Where's ur sweet spot to put the boat on manually?

mikeg205
03-30-2012, 10:24 PM
I have single axle, top of front trailer fender 1" under water. Boat rides up easily about 18 inches boat buddy...then wenches up very easy. Friends tandem trailer for x2 front of fender just below surface... IMO trailer for pickup should be above float point of boat so it rides up on bunks easily... My son keeps on bugging me to put a stripe on trailer to remind us of exact best spot...

cdevro
03-30-2012, 10:50 PM
No severe damage here but, I was getting plastic marks from the (Buddy). To solve the problem I bought some soft and thin bunk carpet and can of 3M spay glue and covered the contact face. worked great. The plastic is junk and does eventually break, Im on #2 in 2 years.

Jerseydave
03-30-2012, 11:18 PM
On mine I put the trailer in deep because if I don't the bow of the x-star tried to go under the boat buddy and not over it. Very low bow on these x-stars. I almost never power it on, just float it when I have 2 helpers plus myself.

I've never had any gelcoat damage this way...it's not worth the risk to save 30 more seconds of loading time.

Your repair looks great! Nice job.

BrooksfamX2
03-30-2012, 11:24 PM
I have taken the BB off and replaced with a standard polly stop..........

Deltaxstar
03-30-2012, 11:52 PM
I have taken the BB off and replaced with a standaard polly stop..........

That's what I ended up doing aswell. Next time I go out I'm gonna try harder to figure out how to put it on manually. Like jersey said the bow is very low on the x star and trailer positioning is critical.

erkoehler
03-31-2012, 09:28 AM
Clear bow roller, problem solved.

Jeff Lyman
03-31-2012, 10:29 AM
Thats sad a gouge like that. I had the same issue finally smartened up and took off the MC set up and installed the largest clear non markeing roller I could find with side protectors so its a 3 piece unit. Since Ive had no problems no buffing marks off and easy in loading.

sand2snow22
03-31-2012, 11:14 AM
Anybody know where I can get one of those big clear balls?

On my water demo when I purchased the boat, I hit the boat buddy so hard that it bent the trailer frame holding it. (DBW is touchy) Surprisingly no damage to the boat.

BrooksfamX2
03-31-2012, 11:20 AM
Overtons and likely other places.......

http://search.overtons.com/?D=bow+stops&Nty=1&N=0&Dk=0&Ntt=bow+stops

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Super-Polymeric-Bow-Roller-for-3-Bracket&i=22037&str=bow+stops&merchID=4005

tex
03-31-2012, 11:33 AM
Never had a problem with mine except when I left it engaged and bent the pin driving home! That was my dumba$$!

BrooksfamX2
03-31-2012, 11:36 AM
A couple folks I know have had the locking pin wear a big groove in the bow eye. They trailer a lot as I do........

sand2snow22
03-31-2012, 11:57 AM
A couple folks I know have had the locking pin wear a big grove in the bow eye. They trailer a lot as I do........

Supposed to pull the pin out and put it into 'safety' when towing....

AZX9
03-31-2012, 12:47 PM
I have noticed that after you pull out you cant get the pin pulled back because of the pressure against the pin. After the boat has been towed around and the boat shifts it loosens up.

mikeg205
03-31-2012, 01:00 PM
Great thread - consider the activity... a object 3000lbs. average very expensive object moving toward and coming to a stop by a $80 piece of plastic. I like the idea of the boat boat buddy being a neat way to load a boat on a trailer. However, I have seen boats ride up a boat buddy when the pin failed to engage.

GoneBoatN
03-31-2012, 04:34 PM
Supposed to pull the pin out and put it into 'safety' when towing....

Did not know that.

A couple folks I know have had the locking pin wear a big groove in the bow eye. They trailer a lot as I do........

Yep, I have to replace the bow eye. I was thinking of going with the KISS method and go with a bow roller. Only a few times have we power loaded completely on until the boat buddy engaged as it really makes me nervous. As said in a prior post, I rather spend a few extra seconds using the wench - there is a reason they put it on. :) I know powering all the way on is impressive to spectators on the ramp but just not worth the risk.

duckguy
03-31-2012, 05:17 PM
I have had multiple Mastercrafts and had Boat buddy grief with most of them at some time. When the landing and launch is textbook its fine. When its deep or shallow it is bad news. The larger my boats have been the more pain it has been. With that said instead of replacing my last boat buddy I did a roller and will NEVER go back!

AZX9
03-31-2012, 05:22 PM
I'll know soon enough if it's coming off and installing a roller and shorter eyelet. Have used it once with the new to me boat and so far the boat buddy worked but the long eyelet gets caught on the front V-Bunk and had to take the trailer way deep to get the boat off.

Cloaked
03-31-2012, 06:15 PM
I'll know soon enough if it's coming off and installing a roller and shorter eyelet. Have used it once with the new to me boat and so far the boat buddy worked but the long eyelet gets caught on the front V-Bunk and had to take the trailer way deep to get the boat off.
Could be that you're launching too deep, where the rear of the boat is floating upward, lowering the front of the boat onto the bunk. Maybe your trailer is different but that is a common cause on some of the trailers I have dealt with, thus the need to drive off the trailer (at a shallower depth) instead of floating off.

Maybe a moot point for your application.

A Boat-Buddy is not anything I care for at all. Nothing but a gadget that allows for unwarranted convenience as far as I am concerned.

detonate69
03-31-2012, 06:43 PM
love my boat buddy. allows me to load my boat and pull out in 30 seconds while all the other people are staring in awe. lol. only issue is if you put the trailer in too deep. plus the plastic marks suck but I'm adding the carpet fix then all will be good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

vrsc
03-31-2012, 06:58 PM
love my boat buddy. allows me to load my boat and pull out in 30 seconds while all the other people are staring in awe. lol. only issue is if you put the trailer in too deep. plus the plastic marks suck but I'm adding the carpet fix then all will be good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

love mine also. Works every time. Still working on finding my sweet spot for loading, unloading so that no marks are left on my hull. Looking for carpet strips now to place on my boat buddy

Jeff d
03-31-2012, 07:15 PM
I think that most people who have good experiences with the boat buddy have boats of the 19' variety. It just doesn't seem heavy duty enough for the larger wakeboard/surf oriented boats. The larger boats by default will also create more friction on a rubber surface like the boat buddy's cover which would be more likely to result in gelcoat damage.

It also seems to be more closed bow people who find it to be a time saver. Those with open bows can easily walk up, attach the winch line and crank it up. Those with closed bows would have to climb over the windshield or get out into the water.

I went to a roller and safety chain and can still load my 230 by myself in 30-45 seconds. I would only consider a boat buddy again if the came out with a new super duty design. The current "heavy duty" one is too fragile for a 4,000+ lb boat.

Cloaked
03-31-2012, 08:03 PM
Agreed. ...........

BrooksfamX2
03-31-2012, 09:07 PM
I think that most people who have good experiences with the boat buddy have boats of the 19' variety. . The current "heavy duty" one is too fragile for a 4,000+ lb boat.

Our dealer said MC only uses them on 20' or less boats as they are not strong enough for heavier boats. Larger boat/trailers have the rollers.

Deltaxstar
03-31-2012, 09:21 PM
Our dealer said MC only uses them on 20' or less boats as they are not strong enough for heavier boats. Larger boat/trailers have the rollers.

That must be new policy

Jeff d
03-31-2012, 09:33 PM
That must be new policy

Yeah, it seems like they used to have them on pretty much every trailer.

holdenh2o
03-31-2012, 10:21 PM
Anyone know the correct size roller (or how to measure for the correct size) for a 197 mc trailer?

I hate the boat buddy

CantRepeat
03-31-2012, 10:29 PM

The BB came stock on my 4600+ 23 foot X30.

Jeff d
03-31-2012, 11:04 PM
Anyone know the correct size roller (or how to measure for the correct size) for a 197 mc trailer?

I hate the boat buddy

I think mine was a 3 piece bow roller with 3" center section.

orbeamlb
03-31-2012, 11:34 PM
Could be that you're launching too deep, where the rear of the boat is floating upward, lowering the front of the boat onto the bunk. Maybe your trailer is different but that is a common cause on some of the trailers I have dealt with, thus the need to drive off the trailer (at a shallower depth) instead of floating off.

Maybe a moot point for your application.

A Boat-Buddy is not anything I care for at all. Nothing but a gadget that allows for unwarranted convenience as far as I am concerned.

Had the same thing occur with my PS 200. The Bow Eye was catching on the V-Bunk and determined I was backing the trailer in too deep. Now I leave 3" of fender above the water and problem is solved.

I did add a stainless bow protector as the Boat Buddy was tearing up the striping that seperates the blue and gray on my hull.

Deltaxstar
04-01-2012, 12:00 AM
I think mine was a 3 piece bow roller with 3" center section.

Yea they are 3" I just bought one I bought a poly tho not a rubber

BrooksfamX2
04-01-2012, 12:58 PM
The BB came stock on my 4600+ 23 foot X30.

I was told this at the boat show this year as some of the boats/trailers had rollers. So I asked why........

DooSPX
04-02-2012, 02:08 PM
I replaced the BB on my 91 PS190 trailer with a poly roller and will NEVER go back to the Boat Buddy! Nothing but grief with that thing. None of the ramps I use are the perfect dept for text book Boat Buddy loading, so I always had issues. The roller does not add even 10 seconds to my loading time.

acguy714
04-20-2012, 08:04 PM

I have the exact same problem. I didn't know what it was for a long time.