PDA

View Full Version : 2006 X-30 vs X-Star

riptide
03-30-2012, 04:14 PM
Hello,

Good fortune has shined on me and I now have a choice on 2 boats x-30 vs x-star.

I will say that I have never been on the water in each but will ride in the X-Star this weekend.

What is the big fundamental differences I should be looking for and why would one be preferable over the other.

I will list our use intent.

Me - SURF!
Kids - Wakeboard & Tube
Mom - periodically ski.

The surf will get the most use followed by wakeboard. We are not pro-expert wakeboarders. Just want to have fun.

Family of 5 and we tend to take friends with us on the water.

They are at the same price point.

Ok, what do you all think?

Thanks

vision
03-30-2012, 04:21 PM
Assuming a 2006 X-star, I can give you the following thoughts:

1. Ski. The X-star is terrible to ski behind compared to a ski boat. But if you are use to skiing behind an I/O, it will be similar. The X-30 will be better.

2. X-star is surfable, but it is a tall, short wave and you are surfing a few feet from the platform. SInce you list surfing as a priority, the X-star would not be my recommendation.

3. Wakeboard. Obviously the X-star is great. But it is wide so it can be tough for beginners. However, it is very clean at a variety of speeds, especially when not weighted. You will need to add some weight on top of the stock to get a decent wake, but that is true of any MC.

4. The X-30 will likely handle better than the X-star.

I have not surfed or wake boarded behind a weighted X-30, so I am no help there.

CantRepeat
03-30-2012, 04:38 PM
Surf - X 30

jafo9
03-30-2012, 05:17 PM
i can't comment personally on the x-star, but one of the few complaints you'll hear about them is that the interior space isn't as functional as others in the MC line.

some tough decisions can be fun. good luck.

riptide
03-30-2012, 05:22 PM
Deposit placed on X-30. If it passes the Vessel Report check out report, I will riding this week.

Thanks for all your help.

kskonn
03-30-2012, 05:33 PM
I would say based on your priorites, family of 5 with other people, you basically just described the perfect situation for an X30.

tons of room, good wakeboard wake, it is also wide similiar to an x star but not as rampy, really good surf wake espicially if you throw some extra weight in the boat.

an upgraded prop makes a nice difference on your wakeboard wake for what it is worth. I ran an Acme 1285 on mine but there are a few good ones out there to choose from.

In my opinion the X Star is designed to wakeboard, it is really really good for that, not very good for much else and not a lot of interior room for a lot of people.

Congrats on the new boat- either one would be awesome.

Fab
03-30-2012, 05:33 PM
right choice IMO. X-star is so specific to wakeboard, the X30 wake is far enough for wakeboarding, and will surf way better...

jason95gt
03-30-2012, 07:01 PM
The X-Star is no good at surfing or skiing. Go with the X-30 or an X-15.

Jerseydave
03-30-2012, 11:39 PM
Deposit placed on X-30. If it passes the Vessel Report check out report, I will riding this week.

Thanks for all your help.

Congrats! I think you will be very happy with the X-30

Funny, you put a deposit on your boat about 1 hour after you asked for advise. :rolleyes:

tommydbouy
03-31-2012, 04:47 PM
I'm starting to get interested in an X-30 as well. I hope the deal goes through for you. Let me know how you think it skis. We probaly Wakeboard 60% and Ski 40%. I'd like to get into surfing too.

Also, do you know how long it is sitting on the trailer? I want to make sure it will fit in my garage.

Thanks

AZX45OD
03-31-2012, 06:42 PM
I just traded in my 2007 X30. You can see it on actonwatersportsaz.com. It surfs and wakeboards wonderfully. I also slalomed behind mine occasionally. It is no prostar for sure...you feel a nice bump when you cross the wake...but for open water casual skiing it is a blast. Plenty of storage and room.

My garage is 24 ft 6 in deep. I had to remove the swim deck and fold in the tongue, and I had about 12 inches to spare.

AZX45OD
03-31-2012, 06:43 PM
I just traded in my 2007 X30. You can see it on actonwatersportsaz.com. It surfs and wakeboards wonderfully. I also slalomed behind mine occasionally. It is no prostar for sure...you feel a nice bump when you cross the wake...but for open water casual skiing it is a blast. Plenty of storage and room.

My garage is 24 ft 6 in deep. I had to remove the swim deck and fold in the tongue, and I had about 12 inches to spare.

make that actionwatersportsaz.com

vision
03-31-2012, 07:28 PM
So if you put 2500lbs of ballast in an X-30, how is the wakeboard wake compared to say an X-star, or X-25, or 205V? How wide is the wake? Just curious.