PDA

View Full Version : Any mechanics ?

riptide
03-30-2012, 10:34 AM
Hello,

I did a check out on a boat and this is what was found. I am wondering what it would cost to get these things fixed? Does anyone have a good idea? This is a Mastercraft X-30 2006.

1. 1 Ballast Pump inoperable
2. Tower loose - needs tightening
3. MC Cruise control inoperable
4. Strut is slightly bent
5. Both bilge pumps inoperable - blowing breakers
6. Blower inoperable - blowing breaker
7. Tower light inoperable
8. Interiror lights inoperable

Thanks

CantRepeat
03-30-2012, 10:40 AM
1. 1 Ballast Pump inoperable $200 on the pump, $25 on the impeller need to know what is wrong with it first.
2. Tower loose - needs tightening Free, do it yourself
3. MC Cruise control inoperable gauge or brain box $500ish
4. Strut is slightly bent $400 for a new strut, might be fixable through OJ props
5. Both bilge pumps inoperable - blowing breakers $60 on each but looking at the next one it sounds like a short in the wires some where
6. Blower inoperable - blowing breaker sounds like s short, blower - $50ish
7. Tower light inoperable again sounds like a short
8. Interiror lights inoperable same

This is just the cost of the items so +100 an hour in labor if you take it to a dealer.

riptide
03-30-2012, 10:42 AM
Thanks for quick reply. I guess a short in wiring could be an expensive thing to track down? I am not familiar with electrical fixes.

willyt
03-30-2012, 10:58 AM
Those could also be loose/missing connections. Since your asking about cost I'm guessing your not much of a doityourselfer? Electrical systems on boats aren't that complicated (unless your dealing with 10 batteries and isolators, then I'm lost)

I could be very, very worried about the bent strut - that's gotta vibrate like hell when your on the water. Bent strut could also mean shaft and prop... Shaft is 400, prop repair is 120-200 or new one is ~550, probably means you need an engine alignment too (100)

thatsmrmastercraft
03-30-2012, 11:02 AM
Any chance this boat was in a flood? These issues could be water intrusion related. Might be worth asking.

riptide
03-30-2012, 11:04 AM
It came from Arkansas. I don't see any rust anywhere to think there is extensive water damage, but I don't have the history of the boat. It came from auction.

thatsmrmastercraft
03-30-2012, 11:07 AM
It came from Arkansas. I don't see any rust anywhere to think there is extensive water damage, but I don't have the history of the boat. It came from auction.

If you aren't seeing too much corrosion or stains, you should be OK. Thought that would be good to rule out.

JimN
03-30-2012, 11:21 AM
Thanks for quick reply. I guess a short in wiring could be an expensive thing to track down? I am not familiar with electrical fixes.

You should remove and check the pumps & blower separately, using an ammeter that can handle more than 10A, or you can start with a 15A fuse, then decrease to a 10A if the 15A blows. If both fuses survive, use the ammeter to see exactly how much current each draws before replacing. Connect the pumps' power wires directly to the battery with wire of similar gauge to what was used in the original harness. Install the fuse near the battery. The wiring for this test shouldn't cost more than about $10, max. It will make future testing of accessories easier- if you don't know how to use a multi-meter, learn to use in all modes. It can save you a lot of money.

If the current isn't excessive when you test each accessory, measure the resistance from each to the battery - terminal. Not the battery clamp or nut, the terminal. If you see corrosion on the ring terminals at the battery, replace the bad ones with Heat N Seal ring terminals after cutting the wire back to clean wire. Follow the instructions for the terminals and use the appropriate size for the wire.

Bad connectors can cause fuses to blow, or the accessory connected can fail because the current needed to operate it increases when the voltage drops.

Jeff d
03-30-2012, 11:37 AM
It sounds like it was treated pretty rough. None of those problems are deal breakers if the price is right. I'd be concerned what else you'd find over the course of the next year if there were that many obvious problems on the surface.

I'm not sure how that boat's rear compartments are laid out but there's probably a partition in front of the ballast pumps at the rear of the compartments. Take one out and look for a water line in the carpet and on the hull. I'm betting that boat has had a significant amount of water in the hull some point. They may have cleaned it up with a pressure washer but if you start digging behind panels where they wouldn't have cleaned you may see a water line.

ntidsl
03-30-2012, 11:43 AM
You found these issues...how many did you not find or will happen? This boat sounds like it was not maintained. If anything on my 05 went bad, which it hasn't, I would have fixed it asap. You want a boat you can rely on especially an 06. Who doesnt fix a blower asap? someone who didnt care!! I'd pass in my opinion.

slickwater1
03-30-2012, 11:33 PM
If you are buying it for the right price, it would/could be worth the trouble. Try to find one of your lake buddies that is pretty savy and let him do some diagnostic work for ya, for a twelve pack or just because he likes it. I know in my ski club, we have several guys that all get together on rainy days and work on stuff, you would be amazed at how inexpensive some fixes can be.