PDA

View Full Version : Getting in the boat?

jafo9
03-30-2012, 08:28 AM
My previous boats all had a walkway to get in the boat. This will be our first summer with the 02 X30 and obviously there is no walkway to board. I have 2 medium dogs, 3 kids and we entertain often. I'm already in the process of replacing the rear seat base cushions. I suspect the one that was the most destroyed was the path the PO used for entry/exit. A thick towel seems like a good solution for crossing the sun deck, but what about protecting the seat cushions for that first big step down? At first I was thinking about a foam "stadium seat" to throw down. Lately I've been thinking about a kitchen cutting board to throw on the cushion in the "path" for mass entry/exit. Any suggestions?

Also, are all shoes bad for vinyl? Thanks.

Jerseydave
03-30-2012, 08:33 AM
First rule on my boats, shoes OFF! Everyone carries their shoes onto the boat.

A nice carpeted bath mat works great on the sun pad, and a towel or 2 on the rear seat cushion.

All shoes are bad because they hold sand, dirt, stones, dog poo, etc.

mikeg205
03-30-2012, 08:37 AM
+1 on JD's... big step down, lay down some towels...is what I do.

BrooksfamX2
03-30-2012, 09:07 AM
Two bath mats, one for pad and one for seat. OR a new X series with front boarding.........;)

Naked Feet Only on the boat.

http://shop.lmgraphix.net/Naked-Feet-Only-PAIR-Bowrider-CL-NFO-SM-PAIR.htm;jsessionid=446E81F2D38EC9DA68E654F1214A28 08.qscstrfrnt06

http://www.havasudoug.com/store/index.php?app=ecom&ns=prodshow&ref=BareFeetOnly&sid=897xe803i603s459eyf6d66jz1bj444i

CantRepeat
03-30-2012, 09:44 AM
Toss them in like they were midgets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbr8qNMgCR4

east tx skier
03-30-2012, 09:57 AM
First rule on my boats, shoes OFF! Everyone carries their shoes onto the boat.

A nice carpeted bath mat works great on the sun pad, and a towel or 2 on the rear seat cushion.

All shoes are bad because they hold sand, dirt, stones, dog poo, etc.

This! Plus, rule 2: Don't step on the seats! I know it sounds ridiculous, but this vinyl is too expensive to have people standing on it. It puts too much pressure on the seams and, well, you know the rest.

As for a solution, if you have 3 seats across and the cushions are removable, consider some sort of step under the walkway cushion. In my boat, there is a fantastic solution. The center cushion flips over and forms a step. In my old 93, you had to remove the whole back seat, but there was a step. My current ride enables us to have most of our rear seat available and the center cushion is just a few seconds away from being a seat again if need be. I have no idea why CC got rid of this configuration. It is wonderful.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-ugN9EMUDco0/RrXym8BYbbI/AAAAAAAAAkY/VeF6be_vVJY/s720/SN%2520Interior%2520%2528rear%2529.JPG

NatesGr8
03-30-2012, 12:14 PM
we have no rules, get in however you can. +1 to tossing them like midgets!!!

Thrall
03-30-2012, 12:53 PM
I agree with no shoes on the boat, but no step on seats???
Waht do you do at the dock? remove the side seats and install a board for people to step on?
Getting in and out of the water from the back. Remove the seat each time someone gets in or out of the boat?
Sheeesh, sounds like a full time job for the 1st mate. "Sorry bud, you're on seat detail today. You can get one set in, but no beers for you. I need you on top of your game today so noone touches the seats!"
I'm pretty anal about my boat, but finding a way for people not to step on the seats is a little overboard, pun intended.

BrooksfamX2
03-30-2012, 01:24 PM
We do bare feet only and then it doesnt matter if you step in the seat.

GoneBoatN
03-30-2012, 02:28 PM
+1 for no shoes in the boat. No one (including me). Never. Shoes go into the starboard side storage compartment where they are handy. We put a towel on the seat during entry from the dock to help keep clean.

We don't have a dog so no suggestions there. Maybe bath mats like others suggested. Something to keep the nails from digging in.

Yes, we step on the seats to get in the boat from the dock and step on the sun deck to get to/from the platform.

gts-20
03-30-2012, 02:40 PM
We do "bare feet only" as well. I would be interested in seeing ideas on how to protect the rear seat when people step in the boat from the platform, other than towels. Our PS214 is showing some signs of wear on top of the center lower rear seat cushion. The seams look fine, but the cushion itself is not as "full" as it used to be. I like the idea of flipping it over, or being able to remove it and have some kind of a step under it. Right now, the fuel tank access is under it, so if you flipped it over, you might risk tearing the vinyl on the edge of the gel. I wonder if there is a way to make a carpeted insert that would fit in the opening under the seat, that would be strong enough to step down on.

Covi
03-30-2012, 03:03 PM
NO shoes, NO seats! plenty of beer gets you a ride!

agua4fun
03-30-2012, 06:33 PM
http://seatsaver.com/

Buy two, ive posted this before but its a great simple product that has lasted 5 yearss and counting. i have a hard time telling my 92 year old grandpa he cant ride because he has to step on the seat to get in.

Dylan
03-30-2012, 06:54 PM
I have no idea how you guys enforce your rules. Out of the 15 people that I regularly boat with, only 2 actually think about something other than themselves, and are courteous. These people happen to be boat owners (one of them my wife) I just smile, look away, and pretend it isn't happening.

People show up when it's 100+ degrees outside with lace up black bottom shoes. What gives?

mccobmd
03-30-2012, 07:13 PM
I have no idea how you guys enforce your rules. Out of the 15 people that I regularly boat with, only 2 actually think about something other than themselves, and are courteous. These people happen to be boat owners (one of them my wife) I just smile, look away, and pretend it isn't happening.

People show up when it's 100+ degrees outside with lace up black bottom shoes. What gives?

If you make them swim from the dock there is a chance they'll take the shoes off. Wouldn't recommend that with the wife though.:D

ted shred
03-30-2012, 08:07 PM
With just the family, they know to be bare foot and to step over the seats. If other friends go with us it is still no shoes, but I leave the rear seat at home.

AZX9
03-30-2012, 09:12 PM
I have no idea how you guys enforce your rules. Out of the 15 people that I regularly boat with, only 2 actually think about something other than themselves, and are courteous. These people happen to be boat owners (one of them my wife) I just smile, look away, and pretend it isn't

if I were you, I would not invite them out anymore. If you are having a hard time enforcing these rules then I would have to ask if you have actually voiced to them that these are your rules and with a straight face and meaningful voice. If you pull up to the ramp and say " ok before any of you climb aboard, I need everyone to put there flip flops in hand and then we will put them in (designated spot) so they are easy to find and out of the way."

Nut up

east tx skier
03-30-2012, 10:40 PM
I agree with no shoes on the boat, but no step on seats???
Waht do you do at the dock? remove the side seats and install a board for people to step on?
Getting in and out of the water from the back. Remove the seat each time someone gets in or out of the boat?
Sheeesh, sounds like a full time job for the 1st mate. "Sorry bud, you're on seat detail today. You can get one set in, but no beers for you. I need you on top of your game today so noone touches the seats!"
I'm pretty anal about my boat, but finding a way for people not to step on the seats is a little overboard, pun intended.

You're making it too complicated. My boat is designed for people to not step on the seats when they get in. Its simply not an issue. :).

But if they insist, they are welcome to use the other nonexistent boat that's waiting to drag them around rather lake for free. I've never considered myself as being a pain in the arse for suggesting people not stand on the furniture. YMMV

Kell
03-30-2012, 10:50 PM
Lately I've been thinking about a kitchen cutting board to throw on the cushion in the "path" for mass entry/exit. Any suggestions?

I use a cutting board with the rubber handles which keeps it in place. Store it behind the drivers seat and toss it on the rear seat when entering and exiting. Works great.

Sent from my iPad 2 3G using Tapatalk