PDA

View Full Version : What Causes a Carb Float to Stick?

atlps190
08-15-2005, 12:13 AM
I've definitely diagnosed my problem as too much gas / flooding condition due to a stuck carb float in the primary bowl of my 4160.

When it happens (the engine sputters and dies - usually after dropping a skier), I am seeing fuel being dumped into the carb from the primary venturies. After I knock on the front of the carb with the heavy end of a screwdriver, the dumping stops, and I can start it up after a few minutes.

Bad gas or gunk that might make its way through after a while? Or already time for a rebuild? I just swapped from a 4010 last summer...

I've recently started to use a fuel freshener / stabilizer a few months ago that I put in with every fill-up...

Thanks in advance for all your thoughts.

Maristar210
08-15-2005, 12:23 AM
Sounds gummed up to me. I would try a good soak in come carb cleaner before thinking a rebuild was necessary.

Steve

redmike
08-15-2005, 01:02 AM
this is an Old holley problem; small pieces of "stuff" get caught in the needle assembly and cause the float to "stick"; hitting it with a screwdriver fixes this temporarily. I would change the fuel filter, and pull the needle assembly out and inspect it. when replacing it, remember that this is what actually sets the float level in the primary bowl! Good luck, hope this helps!!!!

Spyder
08-15-2005, 08:40 AM
Check your oil for gasoline contamination!! I had same problem. pulled the dip stick and i could smell gas so i changed it. Good luck.

Jimmy O
08-15-2005, 10:41 AM
I had the same problem earlier this year. I replaced the needle and seat and everything was fine until the two small arms on the float broke, probably weakend when i had the carb apart. Has anyone had this happen before. Fuel simply gushed through when cranking, thus made it's way through into the cranckcase. Had to change the oil due to contamination.

jamisonsbrodie
08-15-2005, 11:01 AM
Pull the Primary bowl off and and inspect it for gunk. The needle should move up and down freely with the float and spring. The float may be set a little too high as well, but it sounds like there is build up in there. A carb rebuild is cheap and very easy to do. All it entails is replacing the needles, gaskets, and the power valve, and cleaning all the parts. You can buy a rebuild kit for $50, and it will probably take you 2 hours to do it.

I just re-read your post, I guess you just replaced the carb, so just check the primary bowl and go from there.