PDA

View Full Version : What amp?

amcmac
03-29-2012, 06:23 AM
I have a pair of wetsounds pro 60s and the are currently powered by a clarion 50w x 2 amp. These speakers don't seem to be getting enough power, to me. On the wetsounds website it says 150w rms and 300w peak. What size of amp should I be looking for? Do I look for a 150w x 2 amp or something that is a little bit above or below 150?

willyt
03-29-2012, 09:33 AM
i wouldnt go below... i have a kicker ZXM450.2 powering a set of 60's on my tower, if you run the specs on the amp they're getting 150 watts rms at 4 ohms. I do notice quite a difference between when i'm at 14.4 volts vs 12.5 though... (boat running and off) volume doesnt sound as clean with the boat off and the amp not getting the full 14.4.
I would definitely upgrade your amp at least.

EarmarkMarine
03-29-2012, 10:06 AM
amcmac,
I think the 150 'honest' watts per speaker is essential for the Pro60s. You can go with a 2-channel amplifier based on its 4-ohm rating or you can go with a small bridged 4-channel amplifier based on its collective stereo 2-ohm or 4-ohm bridged (same) rating. The bridged 4-channel amplifier can be more cost-effective for now but does not allow for adding a second pair off the same amplifier without a reduction in collective power. Tweaking the amplifier highpass crossover will make a big difference in the power handling and can also impact the projection.

David
Earmark Marine

amcmac
03-29-2012, 10:51 AM
amcmac,
I think the 150 'honest' watts per speaker is essential for the Pro60s. You can go with a 2-channel amplifier based on its 4-ohm rating or you can go with a small bridged 4-channel amplifier based on its collective stereo 2-ohm or 4-ohm bridged (same) rating. The bridged 4-channel amplifier can be more cost-effective for now but does not allow for adding a second pair off the same amplifier without a reduction in collective power. Tweaking the amplifier highpass crossover will make a big difference in the power handling and can also impact the projection.

David
Earmark Marine

Thanks your the input. What do you mean my 'honest' watts? Are you saying I should go with something like a 200x2?

EarmarkMarine
03-29-2012, 12:00 PM
What I mean by 'honest' watts is true RMS power. Often the more conservative integrity brands will have lower ratings based on 'real' power. Then you have 'Dynamic' power, 'WLS' power (when lighning strikes), or 'JBF' power (just before fire). If the power sounds to good to be true for the price then it probably is not true. Stay with the better brands and away from the deceptive brands.

David
Earmark Marine

amcmac
03-30-2012, 03:13 PM
i wouldnt go below... i have a kicker ZXM450.2 powering a set of 60's on my tower, if you run the specs on the amp they're getting 150 watts rms at 4 ohms. I do notice quite a difference between when i'm at 14.4 volts vs 12.5 though... (boat running and off) volume doesnt sound as clean with the boat off and the amp not getting the full 14.4.
I would definitely upgrade your amp at least.

Willyt, I found what looked like some decent deals on the web for the amp you have. I might order one tonight. Anything special on hooking it up or tuning it with the pro 60s?

willyt
03-30-2012, 04:04 PM
Nope - it's a pretty standard amp.

Dave - what's your thought on marine speaker wire gauge? I think I have my tower run with 16 or 14 gauge wire. Amps are in the observer's storage and run directly up the tower. Would I need to increase the gauge (meaning thicker, lower gauge) wire if I were ever to add more power/different speakers?

EarmarkMarine
03-30-2012, 05:40 PM
wiilyt,
You need a 14/4 tower harness minimum if you are running a single pair of HLCDs and 12/4 if you are running two pair of HLCDs or a single pair of HLCD doubles (like REV410s).

David
Earmark Marine

amcmac
03-31-2012, 05:31 AM
In looking at the specs of that amp the size concerns me a little. The clarion I want to replace is not as wide and is mounted to the forward wall of the space under the observers seat, which is right behind the front left seat in the bow. The clarion fits fine where it is but isn't as wide as that kicker amp. If I put the kicker at the same spot as the clarion,i don't think it will sit on that wall flush. The wall curves around on the left side as it follows the bow seat on the other side. How have other people mounted an amp right there? There is also the left wall which is the outside hull. I'm not sure I want to mount there in fear of screwing thru the hull.

Thanks for the help,
amcmac

JimN
03-31-2012, 08:41 AM
What I mean by 'honest' watts is true RMS power. Often the more conservative integrity brands will have lower ratings based on 'real' power. Then you have 'Dynamic' power, 'WLS' power (when lighning strikes), or 'JBF' power (just before fire). If the power sounds to good to be true for the price then it probably is not true. Stay with the better brands and away from the deceptive brands.

David
Earmark Marine

You don't like "Sony" Watts? Ever seen Kenford or Rockwood amplifiers?

I'd really like the requirement that was used for consumer amplifiers to come back- the one that states power/channel, bandwidth, THD/IM distortion, how many channels driven and in the case of mobile amplifiers, the power supply voltage. This XXX W @1KHz, .1% THD crap is useless.

EarmarkMarine
03-31-2012, 10:52 AM
Jim,
I couldn't agree more. Specs without tight qualifications don't mean much.
Most amplifiers will lose 20 to 25 percent of their rated power when the supply voltage drops from the 14.4 volts to 12.5 volts. Most amplifiers will lose another 15 percent of their rated 1kHz power at 50 Hz. CEA2006 standards are very loose. But at least it is some form of qualification. And, there is no governing body to enforce mobile electronics specifications so manufacturers are really free to state whatever they want no matter how deceptive it may be. Specs for sheeple. A 2000 watt amplifier sporting a 10 amp fuse? Hmmm.

David
Earmark Marine

JimN
03-31-2012, 06:10 PM
Jim,
I couldn't agree more. Specs without tight qualifications don't mean much.
Most amplifiers will lose 20 to 25 percent of their rated power when the supply voltage drops from the 14.4 volts to 12.5 volts. Most amplifiers will lose another 15 percent of their rated 1kHz power at 50 Hz. CEA2006 standards are very loose. But at least it is some form of qualification. And, there is no governing body to enforce mobile electronics specifications so manufacturers are really free to state whatever they want no matter how deceptive it may be. Specs for sheeple. A 2000 watt amplifier sporting a 10 amp fuse? Hmmm.

David
Earmark Marine

2000W with a 10A fuse falls under the rare category of power rated using W.I.C.H (What? It could happen!) method.