PDA

View Full Version : Anchors

treiter
03-28-2012, 09:07 PM
Hi All

I am new to this forum and a new MC owner. Bought a 09 X-15 so the family can have lots of fun! This forum is fantastic. It is great to see so much knowledge and experience being shared.

I have been reading every thread I can find about anchors. I have been trying to sort out what kind of anchor to buy. We run in a BC lake with a sandy bottom. Can usually anchor in 6-10 feet of water. We only anchor for a few hours at a time, never overnight. From what I have read a box anchor with an anchor buddy and a buoy is a popular choice. I like this, but that is 1 expensive anchor. Don't get me wrong it is holding a much bigger investment, but WOW. Does anyone have any experience with some of the other anchors that have worked good? If the box anchor is the best then the box anchor it will be, but did I mention the price????:eek:

Love to hear your thoughts since I am very inexperienced with this.

mzimme
03-28-2012, 09:11 PM
I've had the 30 dollar anchor from wal-mart hold me just fine on bigger boats than what my MC is.... Try it out, if it doesnt work, give it to someone and get yourself a pricey one. I find it's not so much the anchor as it is knowing how to set the thing.

Tri4X2
03-28-2012, 09:30 PM
I use a fluke style anchor at is for a larger boat than my X-2. The other thing I use is a heavy duty coated anchor chain that is 6-8 feet long. I have never had a problem getting a bite, and have lost a few. Good thing is I can replace it cheap. If I lost a box anchor I would rent scuba gear and retrieve it!!!

psychobilly
03-28-2012, 09:35 PM
I got both of our anchors from "skiers cove" on lake conroe. One of them is a high dollar one I use for my bow anchor. I seen a boat load of idiots loose it one day as the guy fell overboard and literally got ran over. After they fished him out and his head flopped open they hauled a$$, I went and scored that anchor and found my stern anchor with chain at the same time. Gotta have a small stern anchor.

fskof
03-28-2012, 09:42 PM
I use the box anchor

TN X-45
03-28-2012, 10:18 PM
You can get good coupon codes from overtons if you search. Box anchor is well worth the money. You can't put a price on piece of mind.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Covi
03-28-2012, 10:20 PM
Baby box for me.

Boilr
03-28-2012, 10:24 PM
If you are anchoring in a "no wake" zone with that sandy bottom lake the inexpensive way is the way to go. If you are anchoring in the rougher water, you'll probably have to go big...size and price.

east tx skier
03-28-2012, 10:29 PM
I've had a 12# tri-fluted anchor hold a 205 or a SN for hours to days in a mild river current with a sandy bottom. I've had the same anchor for 3 boats since 2002.

ski/hunt
03-28-2012, 10:44 PM
Box-- the only way to go!! Next to "sham-wow" the 2nd best accessory for boating....

FrankSchwab
03-28-2012, 11:27 PM
Go for the Danforth fluke anchor, or the box anchor. Both work well on sandy bottoms, although the box (IMHO) will work better.

On a sandy bottom, I've had my box anchor hold for 30 minutes in 60+ mph winds as a thunderstorm blew through, when my buddy's carefully set dual Danforth setup pulled out. I've also had mine give up after 2 minutes on a rocky bottom without much for it to grab onto when his Danforth worked fine because it could wedge a lot more easily in the cracks that existed.

BrooksfamX2
03-29-2012, 12:01 AM
I've had a 12# tri-fluted anchor hold a 205 or a SN for hours to days in a mild river current with a sandy bottom. I've had the same anchor for 3 boats since 2002.

Same here. Used on my old 20' Crownline for 12 years, now in the X2. I think mine is 16 pounds. I carry 2. One for bow and stern if needed, A good length of anchor chain makes a big difference also......

JRW160
03-29-2012, 01:54 AM
I have the small box anchor and it's great. Well worth the money

gts-20
03-29-2012, 02:22 AM
We have used Richter anchors for years on all out boats. They have never failed us.

kgrove
03-29-2012, 03:16 AM
My first anchor was a danforth. I hated that damn thing. I spent more time messing with it, setting it, resetting it, and even then I'd take my eye off my boat for a few minutes, look back and notice my boat 5 or 10 yards further down the beach than it started. I became so distrustful of that damn anchor I decided the $120 for a box anchor was worth the peace of mind.

My box anchor has been a champ. Its very consistent and takes less time and effort to get a good hold. I rarely have to reset my anchor and it has worked under a variety of conditions. Same boat, but the way - X15.

timvan
03-29-2012, 08:05 AM
BOX anchor all the way.. I can tie up 3 boats, including mine and not get drift in moderate wind

SilviaMan
03-29-2012, 10:50 AM
We boat mainly on a man made reservoir and have lost so many anchors in the swim bay (which is primarily where we anchor) that we made an anchor that has not been caught on a stump yet...
An ALL bottle filled with concrete! Works just fine for us!

GT500 MC
03-29-2012, 11:04 AM
Sandy bottom?---box anchor. Use a medium box anchor for two weeks at a time for our x14v and the anchor doesn't move an inch. I feel ya on the price--tough pill to swallow but I've been thoroughly impressed.

Huskie05
03-29-2012, 11:27 AM
We have the box, never fails, even under heavy Powell wind at night.

CantRepeat
03-29-2012, 11:36 AM
+1 box anchor

east tx skier
03-29-2012, 11:40 AM
You guys really drop $120 on an anchor?

I'm in the wrong business. I think mine was $20 and the boat simply does not move when it's down.

CantRepeat
03-29-2012, 11:49 AM

I'm in the wrong business. I think mine was $20 and the boat simply does not move when it's down.

I spent $180 on a large for the X30. When the dam is open and you are anchored about 1/4 down stream with a mushroom anchor you are going for a ride. It's almost as much fun as watching boat ramp bloopers when people come swimming by trying to catch up to their boat.

GT500 MC
03-29-2012, 11:49 AM

Actually, about $150-160 w/shipping. ;)
Medium-size.

SPSinclair 190
03-29-2012, 12:04 PM
Im with eastie I think I paid 25 for mine and never a problem even in the river !

setidball
03-29-2012, 12:15 PM
Do you guys use any chain with the Box Anchor? The product description (West Marine) says half the rode and the picture shows no chain, only rope. I've used a Danforth and 6' of chain for years... its heavy (anchor and chain) and I've never liked it very well. While we are never far from it I've never felt like I could walk away and trust it. S

Stx221
03-29-2012, 12:15 PM
Is this an oil discussion? ;)

This is a great thread, as I need to pick up an anchor/line sometime shortly here. I am not sure which way to head on this one. I am somehow thinking that I might just try for a large sized Danforth style anchor. Worst case, it's $35 and I end up buying a box anchor down the road.

CantRepeat
03-29-2012, 12:19 PM
Do you guys use any chain with the Box Anchor? The product description (West Marine) says half the rode and the picture shows no chain, only rope. I've used a Danforth and 6' of chain for years... its heavy (anchor and chain) and I've never liked it very well. While we are never far from it I've never felt like I could walk away and trust it. S

Nope, no chain on mine.

Jeff d
03-29-2012, 12:20 PM
I got a box anchor in the off season. Never thought about the possibility of losing it on the bottom. Great, one more expensive thing to worry about.

LaRue
03-29-2012, 12:23 PM
only rope with our box anchor. Has worked wonderfully. If you keep your eyes on the internet, you can find some decent discounts.

BrooksfamX2
03-29-2012, 12:29 PM
It really depends on what type of water you anchor in...we only boat in lakes (no rivers) with little to no current, just wind. $20 3 flute mushroom works great for us.

GT500 MC

No chain on mine. Use the Anchor Buddy. Works great.

CantRepeat
I got a box anchor in the off season. Never thought about the possibility of losing it on the bottom. Great, one more expensive thing to worry about.

One thing to remember is the box anchor has that 12+ inch hard bar connected to it. Where you might get the rope cut on rocks with a normal anchor the rope is already a foot off the floor of the ground.

GT500 MC
03-29-2012, 12:31 PM

That will cross your mind every time you go to pull it up. It has mine. Never thought I would have spent that kind of money on something you throw to the bottom of a lake, but it has been worth it for peace-of-mind.

jab
03-29-2012, 12:32 PM
So does anyone besides me use 10 feet of bungee cord on their anchor line?

GoneBoatN
03-29-2012, 02:09 PM
I use a "small" box anchor along with anchor buddy; no chain as it is not needed. The box anchor uses a shorter rode and can hold with a smaller scope; I tend to like to anchor inside of a small cove so this helps. I'm typically on lakes with muddy bottoms. I had trouble doing this with a fluke as the boat would swing around (changing/swirling winds) and pull the fluke out. The nice this about the box is that it just flips over and sets again. It works for me. Yes, it is an more expensive setup but I've been very happy with the results.

Sodar
03-29-2012, 02:35 PM
I have found a few used on Craigslist.

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=box+anchor&srchType=T&minAsk=&maxAsk=&hasPic=1

Box anchor is the only way to go. It really does work fantastic, even in a strong, strong current.

scott023
03-29-2012, 03:02 PM
Like many others have said, NOTHING compares to the Box anchor. It's worth every cent IMO.

BrooksfamX2
03-29-2012, 03:37 PM
Like many others have said, NOTHING compares to the Box anchor. It's worth every cent IMO.

How do they work on rocky bottoms?

I know the answers could go south real quick.....8p

CantRepeat
03-29-2012, 03:43 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mv2ybwgcaL8

They say it works just the same in rocks.

scott023
03-29-2012, 05:47 PM

It absolutely does. It really is a beast.

CantRepeat
03-29-2012, 06:04 PM
It absolutely does. It really is a beast.

I know the first time my boat slid away on the sandbar I ask around for a better solution. I believe Cameron was on point about the box anchor then(like 4 or 5 years ago). I pick up the small and the first time the dam was open not only did it hold my 92, I had 3 more boats tied up to the back of it.

Scott
03-29-2012, 06:07 PM
Not sure that would help, in flooded forests, but it sure would be nice!! Don't see it, attaching to trees.:(

scott023
03-29-2012, 06:08 PM
I know the first time my boat slid away on the sandbar I ask around for a better solution. I believe Cameron was on point about the box anchor then(like 4 or 5 years ago). I pick up the small and the first time the dam was open not only did it hold my 92, I had 3 more boats tied up to the back of it.

I couldn't find an anchor that would hold the 45 (yes, I was using them properly:D). After speaking to Cameron, I bought the box anchor, and we have had zero issues with slippage.

TN X-45
03-29-2012, 10:08 PM
They advertise that you do not need a chain. The downside is that when you pull it up (at least in GA) you pull half the mud from the bottom of the lake up!

CantRepeat
03-29-2012, 11:20 PM
They advertise that you do not need a chain. The downside is that when you pull it up (at least in GA) you pull half the mud from the bottom of the lake up!

Not in the GA lake that I boat in.

AZX9
03-30-2012, 12:31 AM
I carry the box anchor and a danforth. Most of the time the box is solid and holds with less rope. If I have any issue I can usually switch to the danforth and it works. Have to have about six feet of chain in front of the danforth. I put a spring loaded marine style carabeaner on my anchor rope so I can switch fast from one to the other. Also great to have is the slide anchor in conjunction with the box. I get tickled every time I see some one put up to the cove and drop a "Walmart" 10" danforth without chain straight down and can't figure out why it doesn't work.

Don't get one of those mushroom anchors unless you have very light wind. They won't dig in an will just drag the bottom. The tri hook mushroom anchor listed above is only slightly better.

Bottom line is the box anchor just works without fuss and extra rode.

I have stuck mine on some lake garbage and after a good half hour of trying to get it up I finally had to cut the rope. Bought another one though.

GoneBoatN
03-30-2012, 12:32 AM

Same here. I found it works well with rocky bottoms as well.

AZX9
03-30-2012, 12:32 AM
I carry the box anchor and a danforth. Most of the time the box is solid and holds with less rode. If I have any issue I can usually switch to the danforth and it works. Have to have about six feet of chain in front of the danforth. I put a spring loaded marine style carabeaner on my anchor rope so I can switch fast from one to the other. Also great to have is the slide anchor in conjunction with the box. I get tickled every time I see some one pull up to the cove and drop a "Walmart" 10" danforth without chain straight down and can't figure out why it doesn't work.

Don't get one of those mushroom anchors unless you have very light wind. They won't dig in an will just drag the bottom. The tri hook mushroom anchor listed above is only slightly better.

Bottom line is the box anchor just works without fuss and extra rode.

I have stuck mine on some lake garbage and after a good half hour of trying to get it up I finally had to cut the rope. Bought another one though.

cdevro
03-30-2012, 06:53 AM
Hands down .... BOX ANCHOR!. Go to slide anchor.com. Spend the money. Note: The owner/ inventor Ryan is a personal friend of mine. Gave all my other anchors away. Aslo pick up a slide anchor for sandbar parking. No chain needed. The other plus for the box is the portability/ storage.

All: If you want to buy anything on his site please contact me and maybe I can work out a discount for MC members. I will talk to Ryan on this and see what he can do.

boater8987
03-30-2012, 07:17 AM
"The worlds best anchor" Proven the best by the U.S. Navy and other tests conducted all over the world at half the weight of most other anchors. Just another opinion but backed up by proven tests and results. http://www.fortressanchors.com/ And then you buy one one of these to protect your boat from damage. http://www.anchorsuit.com/

east tx skier
03-30-2012, 10:52 AM
Hands down .... BOX ANCHOR!. Go to slide anchor.com. Spend the money. Note: The owner/ inventor Ryan is a personal friend of mine. Gave all my other anchors away. Aslo pick up a slide anchor for sandbar parking. No chain needed. The other plus for the box is the portability/ storage.

All: If you want to buy anything on his site please contact me and maybe I can work out a discount for MC members. I will talk to Ryan on this and see what he can do.

Where was I when you were giving your other anchors away!!! :D

treiter
03-30-2012, 12:55 PM
Thank You everyone for chiming in. I would say the majority vote is box anchor. I think I will go that route with an anchor buddy. Maybe a small diameter rope on there wouldn't hurt as I have read elsewhere that the surgical tubing in the anchor buddy can break eventually??? If that sucker ends up on the bottom I will have to go snorkeling!!!! Has anyone ever attached a small buoy to the anchor buddy for coming and going?

Thanks

Jeff d
03-30-2012, 01:02 PM
Has anyone ever attached a small buoy to the anchor buddy for coming and going?

I've done that using one of my fenders but with just a regular rope, not an anchor buddy. I would only do it in low traffic areas obviously. Now that I have a $130 box anchor I might rethink this though. If somebody stole it that would be upsetting vs. a $30 danforth anchor.

GT500 MC
03-30-2012, 01:08 PM
Thank You everyone for chiming in. I would say the majority vote is box anchor. I think I will go that route with an anchor buddy. Maybe a small diameter rope on there wouldn't hurt as I have read elsewhere that the surgical tubing in the anchor buddy can break eventually??? If that sucker ends up on the bottom I will have to go snorkeling!!!! Has anyone ever attached a small buoy to the anchor buddy for coming and going?

Thanks

I've done this as well, using a fender instead of a buoy in about six feet of water at the drop-off. I didn't have a lift last summer and for two weeks this was my mooring in front of the cabin. Worked great.

east tx skier
03-30-2012, 01:33 PM

Thanks

On the buoy, I have not done that, but that's a very good idea. My covering over the latex has frayed, exposing it. I have a rope attached to it based on others' recommendations. May have to put a rope float on there. Of course, if I lose my anchor, it's a quick trip to WalMart to replace. Those of you with the diamond encrusted box anchors will have to go swimming! ;)

cdevro
03-30-2012, 10:28 PM

Talked to Slide Anchor today. He thinks we can work out a deal for MC members. I have 3 on the line ready to buy, the more, the better deal we can get. He will be out on the boat all weekend so its looking like Monday/Tuesday before we can get a confirmation on the discount.
ski ya later!

jvbaca
03-30-2012, 11:05 PM
Before I commit I'd like to hear the pricing on a slide anchor. I use the box anchor now and love it.

cdevro
03-31-2012, 05:01 AM
jvbaca, and all . Of course a price/ discount will be agreed before any commitment. Your intrest is commitment enough for him to move on making us a deal.

TN X-45
03-31-2012, 08:32 AM
I believe slide anchors are the same as box anchors?

vrsc
03-31-2012, 08:55 AM
I use the box anchor, slide anchor and danik hook from that company and I love all three

-V-
03-31-2012, 12:10 PM
I would also like to know about the box. I am tired of re-anchoring every 30 minutes. besides it folds up nicely.

AZX9
03-31-2012, 12:27 PM
I believe slide anchors are the same as box anchors?

No, the slide anchor is different and is not for deep water mooring. It is basically a stake to drive into the beach or low water. The top portion or handle end is heavy and slides up so that you can slam it down and drive the stake into the ground. So it sounds like "tink, tink, tink, tink" when you are setting it. There is a metal loop to connect a rope to after or before you set the stake. Works really well for a tie up when you beach around current or waves that will work you boat back out to the water. I usually use mine to tie off to shore on the rear of the boat and through the anchor out the front of the boat. This way I am moored just off shore.

AZX9
03-31-2012, 12:39 PM
The only negative thing I would say about box anchors is the construction on the newer or later years models. My original anchor was hot dip galvanized. After I had to leave it where it was hung up and get another, the new model was steel and painted silver.

mcclure
04-01-2012, 09:25 AM
I receive my new 2012 X-55 and there no anchor on the front but it supposed to be standard??
Also there's no place to put it...

CantRepeat
04-01-2012, 09:41 AM
Talked to Slide Anchor today. He thinks we can work out a deal for MC members. I have 3 on the line ready to buy, the more, the better deal we can get. He will be out on the boat all weekend so its looking like Monday/Tuesday before we can get a confirmation on the discount.
ski ya later!

Before you go any further on this, in public, you need to check with Sodar as I believe there was a policy published or changed for group buys on these forums.

Eastie might have some info too, as in a link about group buys.

No, I'm not saying you can't... I'm just saying check it first please.

GoneBoatN
04-01-2012, 03:16 PM
The only negative thing I would say about box anchors is the construction on the newer or later years models. My original anchor was hot dip galvanized. After I had to leave it where it was hung up and get another, the new model was steel and painted silver.

Maybe you got a "knock off". The product web site says you have a choice between stainless steel and hot dip galvanized. I got mine at the beginning of last season and it was hot dip galvanized.

venetrex
04-01-2012, 05:54 PM
I have a Chene Anchor 35 bucks and does not need a chain to work. OI live in a deep mamade lake with lots of current. You guys are nuts with you $150 anchors. LOL

CantRepeat
04-01-2012, 06:16 PM
I have a Chene Anchor 35 bucks and does not need a chain to work. OI live in a deep mamade lake with lots of current. You guys are nuts with you $150 anchors. LOL

/golfclap :rolleyes:

Jeff d
04-01-2012, 08:38 PM
Maybe you got a "knock off". The product web site says you have a choice between stainless steel and hot dip galvanized. I got mine at the beginning of last season and it was hot dip galvanized.

The one I bought recently also appears to be painted. I suppose it's not outside the realm of possibilities that it's a knock off but the bag and what not that it came in had genuine looking slide/box anchor documentation, logos and the return address on the package was of Slide Anchor.

AZX9
04-01-2012, 10:11 PM

Possibly, many would say that we are nuts for spending upwards off 100,000 for a tub that floats. On top of that dump money on toys, water gear, gas, insurance, tow vehicles, storage, maintenace & repairs, etc. Easily any one of us could walk into another's house or life and find an object or service that's nuts to spend money on. Quality is forever remembered well after the cost of an item is forgotten.

jvbaca
04-01-2012, 10:36 PM
^ Bump......

JLowder
04-01-2012, 10:44 PM

"Don't judge me just because my sins are different than yours."

Huskie05
04-02-2012, 09:07 AM
I receive my new 2012 X-55 and there no anchor on the front but it supposed to be standard??

I have a 2011 X55 and mine slide anchor fits perfect under the bow seat (middle) folded up. Store it side ways with all the rope and two anchor floats. Plenty of room for more geat in there as well.

scott023
04-02-2012, 12:10 PM

I think you're right. There weren't any painted versions available from Slide, last time I checked.

scott023
04-02-2012, 12:11 PM

I think you should double check that " standard" bit. Im pretty sure the anchor is an option on your boat.

east tx skier
04-02-2012, 12:57 PM
Before you go any further on this, in public, you need to check with Sodar as I believe there was a policy published or changed for group buys on these forums.

Eastie might have some info too, as in a link about group buys.

No, I'm not saying you can't... I'm just saying check it first please.

Unless something has changed, this forum doesn't allow public group buys. Not my rule to enforce, but that has been the rule for some time as I understand it. We had some MC partner company folks take issue with a group buy for a competing product several years ago and MC pulled the plug on group buys going forward.

bkblaida
04-02-2012, 05:57 PM
I second the Chene......have used it for years.....keep two in the front locker, one for the bow and one for the stern. Small, inexpensive and work very well.

cdevro
04-03-2012, 12:30 AM
Talked with Slide Anchor today and the answer is yes on a discount. There will be no need for a group buy. My intent on this is to make it so all you have to do is pick out what you want from the website and get a straight % off. Im working the numbers right now. Shipping costs might be a hurdle since West Marine has free shipping. Ground shipping to Minnesota is $19.61 for the small 19LB galvanized anchor which is good for 18' to 30' boats. Retail price is 149.95 at Slide Anchor and West Marine is 144.99.

cdevro
04-03-2012, 11:38 PM
I have a confirmation on a discount. Your going to like this.
Slide Anchor is going to give all MC members 20% off everything on his site. Free shipping on all orders that include actual Slide Anchor products (anchors/spikes etc). This will be a one-time sale starting May 5th thru the 15th. So get your wish list together and I will post announcement of the sale before it happens along with instructions and terms. Check out www.slideanchor.com.
Between now and then feel free to PM me with any questions.

Jeff d
05-14-2012, 03:57 PM

I emailed Slide Anchor about this and here's the response:

Yes...Ive got an explanation. Please pass this along if you will.

The entire anchor is hot dip galvanized.....and painted. After the anchor is welded together in raw steel, the hinge pins are then ground off and removed so the anchor falls apart into 4 panels. All of the panels are then hot dip galvanized so even the inside of the hinges get completely plated. Galvanizing (unlike zinc plating) has nothing to do with electrical charge. The raw zinc solid compound is heated in a vat and liquifies at 875 degrees. The parts are then "dipped' in the molten zinc and pulled out to cool. After cooling, any excess build up, nibs or flaws have to be smoothed out with a hand file.The anchor is then reassembled with 304 stainless steel hinge pins and a stainless arm, spring and nut assembly.
The process being so intensive the anchor is ultimately very pricey. Because of the hand assembly, filing, and the fact that galvanizing turns a dull gray after time exposed to air, we spray a light coat of silver paint on the entire anchor to keep it looking pretty so when you see it on the shelf at your local dealer it hurts just a little bit less knowing you just spent a hundred and fifty bucks on a boat anchor.

Thanks for the question.

Ryan

So, anyone buying a new box anchor should expect it to appear to be painted but it's supposedly still galvanized underneath.

onejdgreen
05-14-2012, 04:10 PM
That sounds like a lot of money for an anchor. I don't normally anchor anywhere but when I do, I do it with concrete... Three poured blocks that are 18" x 18" x 8" attached with bungee ropes. Never had the boat move.

AZX9
05-15-2012, 12:31 AM
Are those anchors or ballast!!!?

cdevro
05-15-2012, 04:51 AM
For permanent mooring use an old engine block. I promise it will never move. Hard to store in the boat though! LOL

onejdgreen
05-15-2012, 09:17 AM
Are those anchors or ballast!!!?

It can work as both if needed... :D

Covi
06-18-2012, 10:33 AM
Baby box this Sunday! I love my anchor!!!

mzimme
06-18-2012, 10:46 AM
For permanent mooring use an old engine block. I promise it will never move. Hard to store in the boat though! LOL

Haha, because we all have extra engine blocks lying around, right? :D ;)

Stx221
06-18-2012, 11:34 AM
I've used my small box anchor a few times now in anything from 3' water to 45' water. Drop it over the side, tie it off and it just holds forever. Even two day trips in a river with a pretty decent current. No worries.

itch2ski
07-06-2012, 05:33 PM

Do you use an anchor chain with this setup? If so, how long? I will mostly be anchored in the wakeless area of a small lake, not sure I can justify the price of a box anchor.

Covi
07-06-2012, 10:43 PM
Baby box in action again.

CantRepeat
07-06-2012, 11:22 PM

I can dig it!!

itch2ski
07-11-2012, 01:16 PM

I wasn't planning on getting a box anchor due to price, but a friend can get me a discount, so I am now considering it. My question is what size should I get? I have a 92 Prostar 205. I would prefer the baby box, smaller = easier to store. From what I read these anchors will hold far beyond their recommended capacity. Could I get away with a baby box or would it be smarter to get the recommended small box?

blakehardesty
07-11-2012, 01:22 PM
I wasn't planning on getting a box anchor due to price, but a friend can get me a discount, so I am now considering it. My question is what size should I get? I have a 92 Prostar 205. I would prefer the baby box, smaller = easier to store. From what I read these anchors will hold far beyond their recommended capacity. Could I get away with a baby box or would it be smarter to get the recommended small box?

I would say a baby would hold fine. For comparisons sake, a friend of mine has a 32ft houseboat that had 10 other boats tied up on either side(11 total) all anchored with the one large box anchor. I have never seen anything like it before. It was not a calm day either.

LaRue
07-11-2012, 01:22 PM
I would strongly suggest the small. Imo the footprint is minimal when stored

JRW160
07-11-2012, 01:26 PM
You should be fine with the baby box. I went with the small, but I frequently anchor in a river with current. A lot of times I've had just my anchor out holding 3 or 4 boats with no trouble.

Covi
07-11-2012, 04:08 PM
Again I use the baby box. It holds my boat no problem in any condition that I would consider boating in. It stores great. Toss it over tie it up and enjoy! That's how easy it is.