PDA

View Full Version : 02 X30 buzzer question

jafo9
03-28-2012, 08:06 PM
i just summarized my new to me 02 X30 with the LTR. when i test drove it, it worked fine. now running off the 5gal bucket the buzzer will go off occasionally for a minute and then go away. i was told the oil pressure sender was bad when i bought the boat. that was the reason the mechanic gave as to why the oil gauge didn't work. so i ordered a replacement from ski dim. while i was paying for shipping, i went ahead and ordered an oil pressure switch that supposedly controls the buzzer.

in my trying to trouble shoot the buzzer i figured i'd start with the oil pressure switch since that is the only gauge/system that isn't working fine. problem is that i can't find the thing. can someone tell me where the oil pressure switch is located on a 02 LTR. thanks.

Jeff d
03-28-2012, 11:13 PM
I'm pretty sure it's on the starboard side rear on my '00 LTR. Right by the lifting eye, tucked just under the intake plenum on the intake manifold.

I replaced my sender last year which cured my erratic oil pressure readings at the gauge. I didn't have any alarms or codes thrown so I left the pressure switch alone.

I'd think that if both the gauge and the switch (via the computer) are in agreement I'd be inclined to believe that there was an actual oil pressure issue. Maybe get a hold of a mechanical gauge and check pressure at the port where the sender goes.

jafo9
03-29-2012, 12:03 AM
thanks for the reply.

i just replaced the sender tonight after a quick trip to Lowes to make a new riser. the old one had different threads.

i ran it for about 10-15 min on the bucket and no buzzer. if i can find it, i'll probably still replace the switch since i've already bought it.

is there a way to check codes at home? thanks.

Jeff d
03-29-2012, 01:36 AM
i just replaced the sender tonight after a quick trip to Lowes to make a new riser. the old one had different threads.
That's weird. I bought mine at NAPA and it threaded right into the factory riser in place of the OEM sender. It was a Sierra part that was only stocked at the hub locations though.

is there a way to check codes at home?
Yeah, do a search on here for "paperclip method" or something like that. You jump across 2 pins on a diagnostic connector in the engine bay then turn the key on and it will "telegraph" the codes in memory to you through the Check Engine light on the dash. IIRC it will give you standard OBD2 (NOT ODB3, the more current standard) diagnostic codes that you can lookup with a google search.

Jeff d
03-29-2012, 01:39 AM
Oh, and are you getting a check engine light? If not there will probably be no codes in memory.

If you aren't getting a check engine light are you sure it's not a low voltage alarm? That would seem somewhat logical depending on if you left the battery without charging it over the winter. Where is it coming from?

My understanding is that the sender just feeds the gauge for the operator's benefit. The switch is for the computer to monitor whether oil pressure is acceptable. It's a simple open/closed contact (Whichever is appropriate) if the pressure is at an acceptable level. Not sure where the alarm comes into play. It's likely wired to the computer and it buzzes it when conditions are wrong but mine has never buzzed so I'm not sure what it sounds like, where it is, or if there's even is a low oil pressure buzzer to begin with.

jafo9
03-29-2012, 09:06 AM
at first i thought it might be the battery. i was adding a 2nd battery with a switch so i ran it off the new battery and i still had the buzzer. i'll look for the oil pressure switch today. thanks for your help.