PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Battery in a S&S

h20skier
03-28-2012, 02:51 PM
I have read many posts and there seems to be a lot of activity around adding a second battery. However, I have not come across one regarding an older Mastercraft.

Has anyone ever installed a second battery in a stars and stripes? Where did you put it? Any ideas of a good mounting location?

Thanks in advance.

81SNS
03-28-2012, 03:13 PM
I installed a second battery in my 81 this winter, I just fabricated a new battery box out of aluminum, large enough for 2 batteries, my batteries are mounted under the observer seat, where is your original mounted?

thatsmrmastercraft
03-28-2012, 05:19 PM
That is where I will eventually put a second battery in my '77.

81SNS
03-28-2012, 05:38 PM
this show my larger battery box, before I put my seats back in

h20skier
03-29-2012, 08:42 AM
This looks great! I have considered this approach. I am assuming you increased the size towards the left for the second battery? I didnt know if there might be a stringer there or something else that might make this approach more difficult. Is it pretty much wide open under the floor there?

Thanks!

81SNS
03-29-2012, 12:32 PM
The stringer runs just to the left of the battery box, I added the extra space front to rear, basically I split the extra inches needed and cut equal off the front and back edges, but be careful and dont cut to close to the rear or your battery will get into the fiberglass pedestal part of your observer seat, mine is so close that my battery hold down wing nut just barely clears.

1redTA
04-01-2012, 06:46 PM
I put a deep cycle in a plastic battery box, screwed to the floor, forward of the observer's seat back in line with the main battery and amp on the bulk head. no pics