PDA

View Full Version : Help/Info in new purchase please

btothemalm
03-28-2012, 12:59 PM
I am soon to be a new owner and I would like to ask everyone here there thoughts on what I am looking to buy. I thank everyone in advance for their input as the knowledge here is priceless!

I am looking to buy a 1997 ProStar 205 with the LT-1 engine @ 850 hours. What should I be looking for in critiquing this boat? Is that a lot of hours for the LT-1, anything specific I should ask about engine maintenance? What is the standard maintenance for these? Anything I should be looking for on the boat as far as gotchas?

I am going from an 1987 Supra Comp TS6M (awesome ski boat). My Ford 350 only has 640 hours on it but every year when I change the oil it comes out the same color I put it in and makes amazing power!

Any help would be great and if you have more questions for me I will be around to answer them. I can't wait to join the owners club!

Thank you!

btothemalm
03-28-2012, 03:10 PM
It appears that my registration on this site ended up as "Guest" rather then a full fledged member. I have kindly asked the Administrator to help me with switching that over.

I am really hoping someone can give me some info to go on regarding my questions. I am not looking to ask questions then drop off the forums and hope to be able to add quality content in the future after becoming an owner.

Thanks in advance.

19_Skier
03-28-2012, 03:27 PM
Give it time, there are lots of great people on here who will be along to give some excellent advice. Most are likely at work and won't see this post until tonight.

I can't really comment on the 205 much other than to say that is not a lot of hours if the boat has been properly maintained. Here are a couple of good threads you could read in the mean time.

Great guide to buying used boat:
http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=257514&postcount=47

History on 205:
http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=112635&postcount=21

JohnE
03-28-2012, 03:31 PM
You will get a lot of replies. PM Sodar to change your guest status.

davidstan
03-28-2012, 03:32 PM
Thats only about 50 or so hours per season so not too bad there so depends on the overall condition of the boat to give you some signal that the boat has been well cared for. My daughters learned to ski behind there friends family 95 205 several yrs ago. The LT1 had no real issues that i know of. Overheated one time but was quickly fixed.

CantRepeat
03-28-2012, 03:44 PM
It appears that my registration on this site ended up as "Guest" rather then a full fledged member. I have kindly asked the Administrator to help me with switching that over.

I am really hoping someone can give me some info to go on regarding my questions. I am not looking to ask questions then drop off the forums and hope to be able to add quality content in the future after becoming an owner.

Thanks in advance.

Regarding your guest account.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=45683

This post has the information you need. You will end up creating a new account with the link in that post.

btothemalm
03-28-2012, 03:51 PM
CantRepeat,
I tried following the instructions but when I try to create my account with the same username it tells me the username is already registered. Your post says you can use the same username but that doesn't appear to be true?
Any thoughts?
Sorry to be a pain.
Regards,
Bryan

CantRepeat
03-28-2012, 04:12 PM
CantRepeat,
I tried following the instructions but when I try to create my account with the same username it tells me the username is already registered. Your post says you can use the same username but that doesn't appear to be true?
Any thoughts?
Sorry to be a pain.
Regards,
Bryan

You have two choices here.

You can either make a new account with a different name, or PM Sodar and have him delete your current "guest" account and once done make a new account with the link in that post using your current name.

btothemalm
03-28-2012, 04:33 PM
Thanks for your help, I will do that.

Thrall
03-28-2012, 07:02 PM
Agreed, not alot of hours if it has been well maintained.
LT-1's are a little finicky in that they have aluminum heads, so easier to warp a head if overheated badly. If it runs out good and no water in the oil, shouldn't be an issue.
They also have reverse cooling (heads first) and 2 thermostats. Make sure if/when you replace the tstats you get the correct ones.
Otherwise very relaible and high tech for their time. They have a coil pack Caddy Northstar ignition and they were the first MC's with port injection.
There was initially some cooling problems, but that was solved by 07 I believe. Anyway, check that it ahs a small "bleeder" hose from each exh manifold back to the front of the motor. That was the fix essentially.
I had a '96 and it was a very good engine, but I sold it with 500hrs. It should last as long if well kept, as any other small block. 2000+ hours.
It will give you just as good of a tug as the 351 in your Supra. With a lower pitched prop it is lethal out of the hole.

Jerseydave
03-28-2012, 08:26 PM
Welcome!

Are you buying it from a dealer or privately? A dealer may be able to hook up a scanner to it and tell you if it ever ran hot.

Ask the owner how often he changed the oil (50 hours?) and if he used synthetic or not.
Mobil 1 is a good way to go in the LT-1 from what I've heard.
Change the impeller every year, ask if he did that as well.