PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a 3rd... South Louisiana

mpabreo
03-28-2012, 12:09 PM
Figured I'd give this a try here...

Our dependable 3rd (wakeboarding) is moving soon, and will free up a spot in our crew. We routinely have others come along, but looking for a dependable 3rd for weekday afternoons and weekends. Must be serious about progression, newbies are okay, long as you're serious about working to improve. We are not the "catch a set then start drinking" type. Blind River/Diversion Canal/Amite River area (midway between Baton Rouge and New Orleans). We use and X-2 & X-45 for pulls.

Jeff d
03-28-2012, 12:21 PM
I could be an occasional 3rd if you need one. I live in Brusly, work at LSU and usually wakeboard on weekday afternoons in the intracoastal. Oh and I don't drink.

mpabreo
03-29-2012, 09:22 AM
We'd be glad to have you along. I'm out of town this weekend, but perhaps one day next week/weekend. I'll PM you with my info.

BrianM
03-29-2012, 11:36 AM
Always nice to have a 3rd but remember as long as you have a rearview mirror you are not required to have a 3rd in the boat in LA.

CantRepeat
03-29-2012, 11:58 AM
Always nice to have a 3rd but remember as long as you have a rearview mirror you are not required to have a 3rd in the boat in LA.

Strange how this is so different state to state. Here is AL, even if you have a 3rd you still must have a mirror.

mpabreo
03-29-2012, 12:22 PM
yep, but a 3rd is needed to hold the video camera. We video everything to break down tricks/attempts.

BrianM
03-29-2012, 03:48 PM
yep, but a 3rd is needed to hold the video camera. We video everything to break down tricks/attempts.

Get a Trakker. I have one that I use for slalom for the same purpose. Works great.

http://wakevideo.com/

BrianM
03-29-2012, 03:53 PM
Strange how this is so different state to state. Here is AL, even if you have a 3rd you still must have a mirror.
Think you are wrong about that in Alabama. Below is what is written in the AL law (I added the bold and underline) Louisiana law is very similar. That being said the law does very widely from state to state so check it and know what it is and maybe keep a copy of it in the boat just in case someone tries to hassle you.

Prohibited... Operating a vessel towing a person or persons on water skis, or an aquaplane or similar device unless there is in the vessel a person, in addition to the operator who is at least 12 years of age and is observing and is capable of communicating to the operator the progress of the person being towed OR unless the vessel is equipped with a wide- angle mirror with a viewing surface of at least 500 sq. centimeters (78 square inches) and a field of vision of at least a 170 degrees.

mpabreo
03-29-2012, 03:55 PM
Looked into those a while back. Do you have to manually start/stop it? Decided against it cause we didn't like the angle from on the tower, no height perspective on wake jumps.

BrianM
03-29-2012, 04:00 PM
Looked into those a while back. Do you have to manually start/stop it? Decided against it cause we didn't like the angle from on the tower, no height perspective on wake jumps.

Yes you have to manually start it. In my case it is super easy for the driver to reach over and the record button but mine is pylon mounted right there next to the driver. I would imagine the perspective might be a bit different from tower mount but with use you would be able to determine the difference from attempt to attempt.

All that being said a third is more fun.

Mastercraftdave
03-29-2012, 08:14 PM
Im in baton rouge and I ride a good bit here. Let me know when yall go out or if yall need a third.

mpabreo
03-29-2012, 09:48 PM
Just got news that my other buddy will also be moving in a couple months, so I'll for sure need some guys to ride with. Nice boat there MCdave. You guys typically ride the intercoastal? My boat's at Bennett's now to have the trim plate changed out as discussed in a recent thread on here. Soon as I get her back, I'm down to take anyone out. If you need a 3rd holler as I work in Baton Rouge and am always up for a set.

mpabreo
07-21-2012, 09:43 AM
bump...

mpabreo
08-01-2012, 07:43 PM
Riding this Friday afternoon 8/3, Diversion Canal. Looking for a 3rd to ride a big wake..:rolleyes:. mpabreo@gmail.com if interested.

Mastercraftdave
08-22-2012, 11:14 AM
mpabreo - im finally back in BR since Grad School started back up again. I forgot about this thread and that i posted along time ago. I bring my boat to bennets for service, in fact they are orderign all of the parts to do the tpwer retro fit for the power tower. Where do you guys ride? I ride with the LSUwake team some and the ride like 5 minutes from LSU. Im always down to ride in the afternoons and im good for gas, cleaning and whatever else help you guys need. Let me know wehn yall go again for sure

MIskier
08-22-2012, 11:20 AM
I'm down in NOLA and would love to get out every once in a while now that school is back going. I'm more of a buoy chaser, but I would be more than willing to be an able body in the boat. mwelton at uno dot edu.