PDA

View Full Version : Hole in muffler

wakesport
08-14-2005, 03:50 PM
I had a small crack and a hole about 5 mm in diameter on the top of the starboard muffler near the inlet end of the muffler. I patched this with fiberglass and everything seemed ok. Now I have a new hole 5 mm in diameter in the new fiberglass. This hole looks like it was drilled but I know it came from inside since it is in the patched area. Any ideas what is going on? I made a new patch but this time I covered the hole with a patched of sheet metal before I put the new fiberglass on.

Workin' 4 Toys
08-14-2005, 10:54 PM
I had a small crack and a hole about 5 mm in diameter on the top of the starboard muffler near the inlet end of the muffler. I patched this with fiberglass and everything seemed ok. Now I have a new hole 5 mm in diameter in the new fiberglass. This hole looks like it was drilled but I know it came from inside since it is in the patched area. Any ideas what is going on? I made a new patch but this time I covered the hole with a patched of sheet metal before I put the new fiberglass on.
I would guess it has rotted from the inside out. It was known to happen in boats earlier than yours, not sure if your year was in that catagory, but it sound too familiar. Was the boat always winterized/stored properly. Noy sure if you bought it new or not.
I would think your best bet is to replace them. Just my 2 cents.