PDA

View Full Version : What to Check When Looking to Buy

j.robinson389
03-27-2012, 08:21 AM
I hope this doesn't spark any replies about how this has already been covered a million times, but I tried to search for it and had no real success.

I am looking to purchase another boat to add to our existing 1988 Stingray. I grew up on that boat, but our family has outgrown that boat, well any single boat really. So my dad and I are thinking of purchasing another used boat that has a little more power, and would allow us to do more watersports, but still have the room we need. The 175 hp OMC I/O on our Stingray, sure don't like pulling my 300lbs out of the water! :)

Onto my real question I found a '99 Maristar 230 (no tower) and it seems reasonably priced. It has the 330 hp LTR with less than 400 hrs on it, all the exterior and interior looks to be in good shape for being 13 yrs old. Although there are similarities between I/O's and Inboards I have never owned one and was wanting to know what type of specifics I should be looking for when I check the boat out? Mainly referring to the drivetrain category. Also can a tower be added to this boat? Like in the sub $1500 range?

Also, what are your thoughts on this boat for a first time inboard owner? I have rode in several CC Nautiques that my uncle has owned, but never driven one. Guess I will need to learn that steering in reverse is no longer much of an option.

02ProstarSammyD
03-27-2012, 09:23 AM
Thats a pretty sexy boat imho. I thought about buying one for awhile. What are you guys trying to get out of a boat? Yes you can add a tower for around that just depending

I think the monster tower, new dimension, and the aerial assult look great on that boat just depending on your personal style.

The ND will run around 2g. Someone correct me if that is wrong. Great tower! Never heard a complaint out of anyone who owns one

The Monster tower is around a G. Not real familiar with them. See alot of boats with them but assume price point helps that.

The Assult tower is around the same. Think IO was running some deals on packages

With the tower the basic cost doesn't cover racks, biminis, speakers, etc. Get some clearance hcld's and a decent set of cans but that can come later.

As for the boat look for the normal stuff....rust, engine noises, anything odd. Quiz the owner on maintinence etc. You are buying a person not a boat. A lazy slob is probably going to have a lazy slob boat and maint on these things is key. Have a mechanic check it out if you are really interested and are unsure about condition or what to look for .

east tx skier
03-27-2012, 09:47 AM
Welcome. This should help.

http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=257514&postcount=47

02ProstarSammyD
03-27-2012, 09:54 AM
^show Off!

east tx skier
03-27-2012, 11:07 AM
Hey, it was a collaborative effort.

j.robinson389
03-27-2012, 12:24 PM
do Maristar's have wood in them besides the platform? I know its not in the same line of of boats but on our old Stingray we are always replacing a seat frame or two every winter, no matter how well you dry them out; wood and water just don't mix.

CruisinGA
03-27-2012, 12:28 PM
As far as I know, no MasterCraft produced after 1983 had any wood other than a teak platform. If you take care of it, teak lasts just about forever even on a boat.

02ProstarSammyD
03-27-2012, 12:34 PM
do Maristar's have wood in them besides the platform? I know its not in the same line of of boats but on our old Stingray we are always replacing a seat frame or two every winter, no matter how well you dry them out; wood and water just don't mix.

no wood on those boats.

east tx skier
03-27-2012, 01:41 PM
As far as I know, no MasterCraft produced after 1983 had any wood other than a teak platform. If you take care of it, teak lasts just about forever even on a boat.

Mid 1983 was when composite stringers were standard. There was still wood in the floors, seat bases, and combing pads in the years to follow. I know there was no wood in my 93. I'd give the mid to late 80s boat some close looks in the areas mentioned. But I don't know when the precise "wood free" cutoff was.