PDA

View Full Version : WTB - Mastercraft for family

Whisky
03-26-2012, 10:22 PM
I am fairly new to the forum and have lots of great info on boats. I need the help of the experts in helping pick a family-oriented MC in the $15000 or less category. I have read a great deal about the 205 and that it is a great hull.

I am wondering what the MC faithful feel about the short lived Tristar 220 or the early Maristar 210 or 225 direct drive or v-drive?

In general, the use will be family fun like tubing, but would like to teach my now 16 month old to slalom and foot as he gets older. I also have to keep the wife happy by having enough room for everyone.

We love our 87 ProStar 190 with the powerslot (which is for sale if intersted), but have out grown it.

Thank you for any and all help.

Stritt
03-27-2012, 08:02 AM
As you have read, the 205 will fill your needs. Will be a better re-sale value if you decide to sell, they are pretty much flat on depreciation curve.

Mari-Star hulls are more recreational suited.

barefoot
03-27-2012, 11:37 AM
From my understanding, the Tristar morphed into the Maristar line. I've always liked the look of Tristar more so than the earlier Maristar. Before I purchased my current boat, the Tristar was one of my top choices.

jafo9
03-27-2012, 12:06 PM
the pre '98 maristars that have the molded in swim platform can be found in your budget. during my search i even found some really well kept one for less than 10K with tower. if you are willing to stretch you budget by a few grand, you could get into the 98+ range. the 1998 models have the same hull as the 99-05 hulls, just the naming is different. instead of 210 and 230VRS they were 200 and 220VRS (iirc). the interior was pretty much the same until '01 and then the vinyl scheme changed and they changed to a 3 piece sun deck. the only obvious thing i noticed during my recent boat hunt was that the '98 maristars didn't have a molded in armrest next to the throttle. even the engines are unchanged until the MCX debuted in '03.

this looks like a nice boat

http://memphis.craigslist.org/boa/2910932917.html

if you are serious about slaloming however, a DD 205 may be a better choice. one of the requirements given to me by my commanding officer was "no hump"

91.Maristar.240
03-28-2012, 12:39 PM
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=46461

the perfect family boat in your price range.
turnkey all gone through, plenty of storage, and seating for 12. =)

Whisky
04-10-2012, 07:54 PM
Still looking for a family boat. Have been considering the Tristar 210/220, Maristar 225, and Prostar 205. What are the experts thoughts on direct drive vs. v-drive? Are there years of boats that I should stay away from?

Thank you all for your help.

SkiDog
04-10-2012, 07:57 PM
Still looking for a family boat. Have been considering the Tristar 210/220, Maristar 225, and Prostar 205. What are the experts thoughts on direct drive vs. v-drive? Are there years of boats that I should stay away from?

Thank you all for your help.

Whole lot more room in a V drive!

mikeg205
04-10-2012, 10:43 PM
Key things to consider...is what you will be doing... also how much are you willing to spend to make the purchase your own. I paid $10K for my '95 in Aug of 2010...spend about $2500 on trailer brake rebuild, tires, and water sports toys. If you will be family boating I would go for v-drive....tough time to buy...prices up for season.. luv my 205... no tower... towers are nice for stowing boards....

Whisky
04-12-2012, 09:55 AM
Thank you to those offering advice on purchasing a MC for my family. I understand that the ProStar 205 is a great ski boat, but am worried that it will be short on space.

Wondering if there are and v drive concerns in the mid-'90s maristars?

Ski-me
04-12-2012, 10:38 AM
The 205 is a little tight depending on what year. It's manageable but you just have to think about things a little differently. I have a 94' (92-95 era) 205 and it is tighter than a 96+ 205. However, my ski wake is a tad better than the newer ones. But the 205 ski wake, regardless, will be better than the Maristar type boats.

If you find a 96+ 205 with a tower on it, that would certainly help with the room. I don't have a tower but if I did, it would primarily be used for ski storage and getting "gear" off the floor.....not really wakeboarding.:rolleyes:

I have 3 girls and my wife. The 205 does great and I'm willing to shuffle things around a little more for the better ski wake. It's worth it to me for the ski wake.

The benefit of the 96+ 205 is the wakeboarding wake is a little better than the earlier years too. So it would be considered a more versitle boat. Maristars, in my mind, just a recreational boat (however I have never been in one).

Resale.....I just keep seeing the 205's pretty much staying flat in price. They are a desireable hull so they don't seem to drop much. I paid $14k for my 94' with a LT1 engine several years ago. I bet I can get close to that now if I ever wanted to sell. Just a great boat in my opinion.

Whisky
04-13-2012, 08:40 AM
Ski-me,

Thank you for the valuable insight. Been searching for a ProStar 205 as you suggested. Been finding it hard finding something in the Upper Midwest. Would hate to drive to the South to look at a boat to find out it is junk or needing a ton of work.

Whisky

ttu
04-13-2012, 08:58 AM
Ski-me,

Thank you for the valuable insight. Been searching for a ProStar 205 as you suggested. Been finding it hard finding something in the Upper Midwest. Would hate to drive to the South to look at a boat to find out it is junk or needing a ton of work.

Whisky

there are plenty of fellow mc owners here who would be glad to take a look at one for you and check it out.