PDA

View Full Version : Fiberglass repair - need advice

mrprostar
03-26-2012, 01:31 PM
At the beginning of last season I found a small crack in the fiberglass below the water line directly below the front side of the windshield. I tried many different repair techniques only to get the same result, a crack through my repair. The crack is about two inches long and runs side to side on the boat over a rib in the hull. I decided in this off season to grind out the crack and replace the fiberglass and refinish it with gel, etc. I was grinding it out and found it is just behind one of the ribs. I got through the fiberglass and exposed a large (1/2" tall by 1" wide" space between the fiberglass and whatever is above that. Do I need to fill this space with something? If not for structure, to help keep the wet fiberglass in place while it dries. I am going to bevel out the fiberglass some more before I start adding glass and am going to do several layers to build it back up the right height. Anything else I should know? As you can see from the picture it is not a flat repair and it seems like it need to be. Thanks.

mrprostar
03-26-2012, 01:32 PM
PS - Picture needs to be turned 90 degrees clockwise.

CantRepeat
03-26-2012, 01:39 PM
Can you take a photo straight on?

mrprostar
03-26-2012, 02:05 PM
Photo #2 - I didn't post originally because I couldn't zoom out enough to get a good view. It looks wet because of some epoxy I put in there. I wiped it out before it dried because it was just oozing out of the hole.