PDA

View Full Version : MC boat search/buying resources NE US

sailworks
08-14-2005, 02:00 PM
Hello all
New to this world. Looking to buy used MC Prostar 190 or perhaps 197 / 205 -- most likely mid 1990's. I have looked thru ads on this site and sent emails to several sellers. Most seem far away. Looking for strategy to find boat within travel distance. Anyone with experience having boat professionally delivered? In that event - ? advice re buying a boat "unseen"? Comments re tradeoffs 190 vs 197?
Appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks
RJM

erkoehler
08-14-2005, 02:03 PM
I would NEVER buy a boat sight unseen, but it is becoming more and more common. I believe you should always test drive/ski/foot/board your boat prior to purchase. It is the safest way to ensure that you are getting a boat that suits you the best.

As far as where to find a boat other than on tmc and at dealers, try www.boattraderonline.com , www.flipsell.com , www.usedboats.com , www.iboats.com

Be patient, you will eventually find something that is close enough. I traveled to OHIO and was 2 days from going to FL.

erkoehler
08-14-2005, 02:17 PM
As far as which is better in the 190 or 197 it all depends on you. Do you have a family? If so, will there mainly be more than 4 people in the boat while skiing? If so, go with the open bow in either the 197 or 205. The 197 will have a better wake than the 205 as far as slalom goes, but both are far superior than many other boats.

The advantage to the 190 is the storage. You have the entire bow to store equipment under, however you only have limited seating in the observer seat while skiing. Usually 3 to 4 people max while skiing hard.

What do you primarily do? SKI? FOOT? BOARD?

bucky
08-14-2005, 02:39 PM
I bought a 190 unseen. The stress will take 10 years off your life and won't save you any money. I would wait to get exactly what you want within driving distance. In fact, with all the paperwork involved in registering an out of state boat, 15 years.
The 190 is extremely cramped for me, the wife, 5yo son, cooler, gear, lake patrol mandatory equipment, and friends. The extra storage under the bow is mostly inaccessible, unless we send the son spelunking under the observer seat. On the plus side, it was considerably less expensive than the larger boat. Your call. Either way they're MasterCraft.:twocents:

Edit: What do you consider far away? On a major purchase such as this, an overnight trip is not unusual.

erkoehler
08-14-2005, 02:48 PM
What is a day of travel when you keep the boat for 10+ years.....