PDA

View Full Version : fuel prices

carracer
03-25-2012, 08:17 PM
How many summers/trips to the water are going to be affected by these prices. ($3.73 here)

Double D
03-25-2012, 08:22 PM
None!! However, doesn't mean I am going to be happy about it!!

Sent from Never Neverland using my iPhone 4 on Tapatalk

Jerseydave
03-25-2012, 08:23 PM
Not sure, but $20 for two wakeboard sets or slalom sets behind my friend's boat is looking pretty good right now! :D

With that said, it takes me 45 mins. to get the boat to the river so if rain is in the forcast or the river is blown out the boat is staying on the trailer in the garage. This is rare, but 2 years ago I trailered to a lake 1.5 hours away and it was blown out bad, all we could do is wakesurf.
Not gonna do that again!

CantRepeat
03-25-2012, 08:26 PM
Zero!!!! :D

ShawnB
03-25-2012, 08:59 PM
Hopefully it causes everyone else to stay home. :)

vrsc
03-25-2012, 10:23 PM

agreed, fingers crossed. none for me

barefoot
03-25-2012, 10:36 PM
It will definitely affect other areas of our budget. However, the wife is going on maternity leave and will cut her 40min commute for 12 weeks. That will help fill up the boat (and buy dippers).

Over the years, I've noticed lake traffic decrease for what I assume is because of fuel prices. I try to take more mid week sets because the water is usually better and there is less traffic. The weekends is usually reserved for early morning runs or wake surfing & floating.

In my attempt to be green, I think I'll turn the boat off while suiting up and changing skiers.

2RLAKE
03-25-2012, 10:37 PM
263 miles each way to the lake for me ... still planning on every other weekend all summer ... speaking of which i have to go down next weekend to cut grass

onewheat
03-25-2012, 10:42 PM
215 miles to the lake - won't be affecting me either. High gas prices seem to keep the wallys away too - more glass for us!

mikeg205
03-25-2012, 10:44 PM
none.....actually will be boating more this year...

asmodeus2112
03-25-2012, 10:53 PM
Still dragging the boat from TX to WI for a month, then back. Will be boating as much as usual in TX.

AZX9
03-26-2012, 01:35 AM
I boat almost 200 miles from home most trips. Save money by storing the boat at the lake rather than towing. Usually make day trips and don't get a hotel. Drift on the river and drink beer or anchor out at the sand bar and listen to music rather than cruising around wasting gas. Can't save any money when board sports are happening but that's just the way it has to be. When its just me and the wife we just chill and decompress. When the kids are with us with friends is gas hog day.

BrooksfamX2
03-26-2012, 10:17 AM
.............or anchor out at the sand bar and listen to music rather than cruising around wasting gas. Can't save any money when board sports are happening but that's just the way it has to be. When its just me and the wife we just chill and decompress. When the kids are with us with friends is gas hog day.

Sounds like us.

Wont affect the number of trips, just no mindless cruising....if we're moving, sombody will be being towed. We still go boating a lot without the kids, but just sit, drift or anchor and relax and watch our friends with kids........ :cool:

We have two 700 mile trips to Shasta scheduled for this year also, motorhome (7mpg) and boat fill ups are big $$$$$ for these trips.........I'm guess we'll spend about $2k on gas this year, but this is what we do :D

GoneBoatN
03-26-2012, 02:29 PM
Right now avg price in California is $4.31. Plan is the same as last year, and the year before that, and... - put as many gallons of gas in the boat as possible, not constrained by the cost of gas.

JimN
03-26-2012, 02:33 PM
How many summers/trips to the water are going to be affected by these prices. ($3.73 here)

ALL OF THEM!

Wanna trade? It's $4.19/9 for regular unleaded in Milwaukee.

CruisinGA
03-26-2012, 02:34 PM
100 mile trip to lake here... Get 35 mpg on the trip, but 3 boats, 3 stand up skis and several dirtbikes and atv's makes up for it when I'm there!

eurosysytem0
03-26-2012, 03:36 PM
If you guys in the USA are feeling the fuel price pain, in the UK its now the equivalent US $8 a UK gallon. I am sure our Mastercrafts are just as hungry too!

it does not stop us waterskiing though. We just make reeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaally sure we really want a ski!
on saturday after winter closure .

Hope it makes you feel a little better!

Just make sure Obama helps keeping the Straights of Homuz open !!!!!!!!!

-V-
03-26-2012, 03:40 PM
100 mile trip to lake here... Get 35 mpg on the trip, but 3 boats, 3 stand up skis and several dirtbikes and atv's makes up for it when I'm there!

that is great gas milage compared to mine.........

CruisinGA
03-26-2012, 03:59 PM
that is great gas milage compared to mine.........

Probably, but would you want to drive a 5 spd civic? :D

It's generally more expensive than just owning a boat, but having a lake house cuts down on gas usage- no gas for towing, no gas for cruising, the boat is only used when it's time for watersports, otherwise we're hanging out on the dock watching friends try to ride my old Kawasaki stand ups :D

Fab
03-26-2012, 03:59 PM
+1 to eurosystem

8$ per gallon in Europe for gas, lucky i have a LPG boat !!

davidstan
03-26-2012, 04:00 PM
Watersports will be the same no question but cruises to say hi to someone down the lake will be very rare. I agree w/ the floating and just being on the lake idea. Yeah the kids and tubes weekends are gas hog events!

thatsmrmastercraft
03-26-2012, 04:38 PM
I will be going to the lake just as often, just not necessarily taking as long a drive to get there. Fortunately there are a few lakes around here to choose from.

wrobins1
03-26-2012, 04:47 PM
The days of being nice and not accepting gas money from friends are gone.... It will be fill up on the way home and spilt the bill.

BrooksfamX2
03-26-2012, 04:53 PM
Just to add to it, marina gas is about $1.00 - $1.50/gal more than gas station prices..........we will be getting about 1/2 of our gas from a marina...........:(

jafo9
03-26-2012, 05:12 PM
otherwise we're hanging out on the dock watching friends try to ride my old Kawasaki stand ups :D

sounds like us. i bought an old 650sx for the kids and guests. it also keeps them off my superjet.

unfortunately, we'll probably spend more on gas this year than we ever have as now i'll be fueling 2 boats. thankfully the honda on my other boat is pretty good on gas.

ahhudgins
03-26-2012, 05:12 PM
It's just one more reason not to pull TUBES!!:D

Tri4X2
03-26-2012, 05:54 PM
how much is that one going to cost you?

Still dragging the boat from TX to WI for a month, then back. Will be boating as much as usual in TX.

76S&S
03-26-2012, 06:05 PM
No impact here. For me and my family it's still more fun than going to the beach and we can spend the whole summer at the lake vs a week at the beach.

BrooksfamX2
03-26-2012, 06:24 PM
It's just one more reason not to pull TUBES!!:D

:D:D............

JLowder
03-26-2012, 06:29 PM
I don't care. I work way too many hours per work to not play hard. Bring on the warm weather.

FoggyNogginz
03-26-2012, 07:09 PM
We'll just all have to switch to PBR and Miller versus drinking Don Julio and Gentleman Jack. That should make up the difference after a while! Seriously, we are cutting back by not eating at all of the lake restaurants as much, and not buying our drinks/snacks at the convenience store. I'd rather cut back in lots of other places before I stop fueling up the MC!

Tri4X2
03-26-2012, 08:22 PM
We went to the lake yesterday and I really don't want to comment on prices. I think I may need counseling after this summer. Seriously though, if you own a boat it's part of the price (gas that is ). On the other had we will be cutting back on stopping ON the lake for food/beverages/ice.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
03-26-2012, 08:43 PM
After last years drought I really don't care about the price of fuel. I'm just glad I have water right now that we can enjoy btw its

higgy57
03-26-2012, 09:20 PM
im pretty lucky when it comes to fuel prices we have a lake house that is only about 20 min from are town house and a boat lift so the plan is to leave the boat at the lake house instead of towing back and forth and leaving that new truck that should get a so called 20 mpg that only gets 8mpg in the garage and drive the wifes car back and forth should save enough in my pocket to were im not gunna care and hopefully it will keep the lake calmer this year also the last two years have been nothing but 6 am sets and week nights due to the amount of traffic on the water

-V-
03-26-2012, 09:28 PM
I will be spending as much time as I can on Lake Austin this fall when I get back to San Antonio. I have missed alot of lake time and I'm not getting any younger. My girls are at the age where they need more "sports" in thier life to make sure they stay healthy and not become couch potatoes. The proce of gas and camping will just cut into my "I wish I had" fund. Not too worried about it. But there might be alot more swim stops instead of sets.

Heelgrad
03-26-2012, 10:01 PM
I don't care. I work way too many hours per work to not play hard. Bring on the warm weather.

I'm right there with you. Way, way too much time working not to be able to enjoy my free time. I haven't even taken delivery of my x45 yet but I'm jonesing to fill that baby up with fuel. Compared to the fuel I burn in my fishing boat running around all day long, it really won't be that bad and like another poster said we don't do big beach trips so I can justify some more cash for boat gas. Looks like the golf clubs probably won't see the light of day this summer...

Patrick Hardy
03-26-2012, 10:37 PM
With only a 30 gallon fuel tank in my PS 190, I will not change my usage that much. Now if I owned one of the bigger X boats with a 60 to 90 gallon tank and a $250 to $400 per fill up cost, it would definitely / drastically alter my boating this summer.

mccobmd
03-26-2012, 11:50 PM
Makes me glad I still have the X1. Doesn't get mentioned but the RTP does great even loaded down. Has more to do with the hull than the engine. I can buy a lot of gas for what it would have cost for the X15 I was looking at.

onewheat
03-27-2012, 12:27 AM
sounds like us. i bought an old 650sx for the kids and guests. it also keeps them off my superjet.

True dat! We needed a couple of those last summer. Labor Day weekend we spent $500 on fuel for the two SeaDoos - not to mention what we spent in the Baja and the X-15. That is why we work...

mzimme
03-27-2012, 12:39 AM
I drive my Jeep 20 minutes to the storage unit which is 2 miles from the lake I'm on. Gas doesn't worry me much. There's a place to gas up right outside of the lake entrance, so no on the water fuel for me. It's totally worth it. I'd spend 100 bucks at a bar in a night, and I'd much rather spend that 100 bucks on the water.

mikeg205
03-27-2012, 07:55 AM
I drive my Jeep 20 minutes to the storage unit which is 2 miles from the lake I'm on. Gas doesn't worry me much. There's a place to gas up right outside of the lake entrance, so no on the water fuel for me. It's totally worth it. I'd spend 100 bucks at a bar in a night, and I'd much rather spend that 100 bucks on the water.

+1 on that mzimme...

Stx221
03-27-2012, 10:12 AM
It's my first year owning a boat, so my "habits" can't change. :D

BrooksfamX2
03-27-2012, 10:18 AM
With only a 30 gallon fuel tank in my PS 190, I will not change my usage that much. Now if I owned one of the bigger X boats with a 60 to 90 gallon tank and a $250 to $400 per fill up cost, it would definitely / drastically alter my boating this summer.

Why is that, just means you have to fill up twice as much. Or for the big tanks just fill half full........it all costs the same................;)

02ProstarSammyD
03-27-2012, 10:18 AM
Doesn't mean jack for me. I'm gonna ride. It will however prob result in a few people getting their feelings hurt if they don't share in the expense for riding. Most of the people I ride with are gracious enough to cover all of my gas anyways.

19_Skier
03-27-2012, 11:09 AM
I expect I will spend more driving to and from the cottage almost every weekend then I will on boat gas. The cost is worth it though to see the smiles on the kids faces!

Patrick Hardy
03-27-2012, 02:42 PM
Why is that, just means you have to fill up twice as much. Or for the big tanks just fill half full........it all costs the same................;)

I guess my point being, I would rather spend $125 per fill up at $4.15 per gallon than $375 to $415 a fill up for the X-45, 55 or x-80s. Your right the per gallon cost is the same, but that is it. I am not sure about the fuel burn cost per hour difference in boats, but with the size difference and dramatic weight difference, I would assume the cost per hour is big.

We ski early or real late only and then get off of the lake. I rarely spend a whole day out on a lake, so my full tank of gas will last a long time. IMO most big wakeboard boats are out on a lake all day. So they we go thru fuel at a faster rate than a PS 190.

But like the saying goes,"If you can not afford the horse, do not buy the cart". So most people that own 60 to 100 gallon fuel tank boats do not sweat about the fuel cost.

BrooksfamX2
03-27-2012, 03:28 PM
My credit card starts to melt when I fill the boat and motorhome at the same time.........

fskof
03-27-2012, 03:38 PM
My credit card starts to melt when I fill the boat and motorhome at the same time.........

I would hate to see that bill

ntidsl
03-27-2012, 06:25 PM
I feel the rise in gas cost just in cutting my yard...lol...just for fun I'm going to mark down the cost of each five gallon tank I put in the boats this year. I fill both of them every weekend morning...mine and my parents pontoon...my sisters just think the gas magiacally appears in there every weekend morning obviously. Uusally do this every Friday, Saturday and Sunday morning this the reason I'm drinking my nine am. Only thing I'll change this year will be cheaper beer to make up for the gas cost increase. Something has to give!!!

MasterKraftS&S
03-27-2012, 06:53 PM
The $8/gal does keep things in perspective! but For a second, I thought the mods had missed a major fopah there re Obama's sexual orientation . . but I'm all for free trade!

Just make sure Obama helps keeping the Straights of Homuz open !!!!!!!!!

sp00ky
03-28-2012, 12:04 AM
I think I'll enforce the gas grass or a s s no one rides for free.

93Prostar190
03-28-2012, 12:54 AM
I will just eat less, which in turn will save gas during my slalom starts.

aquaman
03-28-2012, 09:12 AM
I will just eat less, which in turn will save gas during my slalom starts.

Now thats a great Idea.

EAT less.......Ski more ! :)

LittleFuss
03-28-2012, 09:28 AM

Had not thought of that...now I am excited

eurosysytem0
03-28-2012, 04:41 PM
MasterKraftS&S: Amazing bit of lateral thinking!- butt .......................

eurosysytem0
03-28-2012, 04:45 PM
The Uk price (25% hike in 12 months) will certainly mean a lot less boats on the water

mallees
03-28-2012, 06:38 PM
You guys have it good, petrol is now $1.50/litre in Australia that equates to about $5.70 / US Gallon.

-V-
03-28-2012, 07:02 PM
You guys have it good, petrol is now $1.50/litre in Australia that equates to about $5.70 / US Gallon.

Is your cost of living higher there? What is the min wage in those parts? What is the going rate for a 2012 X30 in your neck of the woods?

JimN
03-28-2012, 07:21 PM
The Uk price (25% hike in 12 months) will certainly mean a lot less boats on the water

The price of unleaded regular was about $1.87/gallon when Obama took office and here, in Milwaukee, it's averaging $4.22/gallon. That's about 2 months more than 3 years. At this point, I guess I wouldn't even mind if the price had only doubled, but that ship has sailed. Supposedly, there's a problem at a refinery on the East Coast. The part that makes this seem like BS to me, is the fact that when we have usually had price jumps, they said there was a problem with a refinery in Chicago or the pipeline between here and Phoenix, Arizona. I wasn't aware that we get any appreciable amount of gas from the Wast Coast, so I call shenanigans. Now, Obama says he'll OK exploration, but not drilling. I wonder if he actually knows how oil is found.

mcskier
03-28-2012, 07:47 PM
***? $1.87 in 2009? I don't think that's accurate.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
03-28-2012, 07:53 PM
***? $1.87 in 2009? I don't think that's accurate.

January 19, 2009, one day before obama took office...

http://news.consumerreports.org/cars/2009/01/gas-prices-2.html

JimN
03-28-2012, 08:11 PM

And it was up about a dollar/gallon a year later.

Jerseydave
03-28-2012, 08:18 PM

Notice how diesel was .45 higher than gasoline........and there is still at least .40 difference today!
I use over $250/week in diesel! Why we are getting shafted on a fuel that costs less to refine is nothing short criminal! :mad:

ski/hunt
03-28-2012, 10:58 PM
On way the fuel companies screw us all!!! They know ALL goods are transported on a semi truck or locomotive, and none of those will "car pool" or decide to take public transportation. In turn we ALL pay higher prices for everything since the cost of transport is handed down to the consumer! Why not SCREW those who have no choice but to pay!!! Those of us who use trucks or RV that burn diesel just get in on the mass screwing!!

magnum
03-28-2012, 11:50 PM
All I can say is EVERYONE go out and VOTE in November

mzimme
03-28-2012, 11:51 PM
The nice thing about a forum where median income is probably north of 100k/year is that you're surrounded by other conservatives. VOTE indeed... especially the swing states.

76S&S
03-29-2012, 09:29 AM
The crude oil to gas ratio is at an all time high and demand is the lowest in several years.........this sucks!

mikeg205
03-29-2012, 10:07 AM
These gas prices just screw small business, i.e. restaurants, smaller marine businesses..etc... the $1.50 extra I pay not per gallon just takes away from other places I used to spend my money. $45 bucks extra to fill the boat means stopping at the marina to eat...we bring food now... so the marina loses. Was going to put a sound system in boat this year but $500 - $600 I will spend extra on gas will prevent that - so marine provider loses.

Wanted to replace some older pfd's...all in very good shape...but it would be fun to have my favorite watersports CCA vests... nope they lose.

Hopefully, the rich exec's at oil companies will spend their $$$ at enough places to keep the economy from stalling....

If the federal government wants me to be dependent on them...they are sure doing a great job. This BS about buying something more fuel efficient is BS... They never talk about total cost of operation.

Best Buy already feeling effect from fuel prices...might be closing 50 stores... and laying off all those employees.... current projects now point to GDP dropping from 3% to 1.5% - buckle up... here we go...

Screw the oil exec's and all our governments who just jack us around....

-V-
03-29-2012, 12:30 PM
The nice thing about a forum where median income is probably north of 100k/year is that you're surrounded by other conservatives. VOTE indeed... especially the swing states.

wait, what? ummmm.............I wish I made 100K a year.....not on my Army paycheck......not anywhere close to that.......holy cow I am really in the wrong buisness......

mikeg205
03-29-2012, 01:10 PM
wait, what? ummmm.............I wish I made 100K a year.....not on my Army paycheck......not anywhere close to that.......holy cow I am really in the wrong buisness......

Thanks for serving...If I lived close I'd boat with ya to help offset gas cost...

AZX9
03-30-2012, 01:56 AM
Less gas and more beer and music for me.

MASTIQUE
03-30-2012, 06:44 PM
Looks like more time anchored in a cove to me!

petermegan
03-30-2012, 07:10 PM
Crikey you guys have nothing to complain about in regard to gas prices. ULP is around $1.50/litre here in OZ. equates to approx $5.90/US GAL. Still I feel if you compare this to the ownership cost of having a $30k-$100k boat and all the add ons sitting in the shed doing nothing you are silly not to use it all you can. My farm is using approx. $50k in diesel a year that is where it really hurts.

ted shred
03-30-2012, 08:58 PM
We will ski closer to home, less road trips. Gas is at 4.45 here for 89 octane mid grade. Filling the truck and boat together, I will have to take out a second on the house.

rand49er
03-30-2012, 10:38 PM
Eight minutes to the boat slip means gasoline prices won't affect that part of getting onto the water. As far as boating time goes, it's restricted by too many other things, so fuel pricing is not the constraint here.

Hope we have a good summer.

Stefan
04-11-2012, 06:45 AM
That certainly won't make you guys feel better, but in Germany we are paying over 8 bucks a gallon by now...approaching $9

timvan
04-11-2012, 07:32 AM
That certainly won't make you guys feel better, but in Germany we are paying over 8 bucks a gallon by now...approaching $9

But you are also offered a vast array of public transportation (trains ext.), roads are made with scooters/motorcyclist and bicyclist in mind as well. You are not as married to fuel as we are in the US

Stefan
04-11-2012, 08:08 AM
But you are also offered a vast array of public transportation (trains ext.), roads are made with scooters/motorcyclist and bicyclist in mind as well. You are not as married to fuel as we are in the US

Yeah we do, but they have been payed for (in the majority) by our taxes, a choice that every country has. And our economy is very dependent on Fuel, especially diesel fuel...

For us it's not really a good thing if VW (and others) sell their efficient diesel cars in the U.S. and elsewhere, due to the fact that it will increase the world market demand for diesel fuel... we've seen a much higher increase in the diesel price then we've seen in the gas price over the last 10years or so... :(

hbomb
04-11-2012, 08:29 AM
will second that motion.......... the world appears to have a diesel obsession at the moment..........
if you really crunch the numbers, unless you are doing at least 18-20,000 miles per year, the added expense firstly with the purchase price over a petrol car and then the added expense of the price of diesel fuel over petrol, it is a real take.............
although there is the economy factor - dollar wise it makes no sense to me for the "average" motorist to run a diesel......

JimN
04-11-2012, 09:36 AM
I'd like to see a complete breakdown of the price of gas in most of the countries mentioned here, with the cost/bbl, fees & taxes and what each dollar of these fees & taxes pays for.

Quinten
04-11-2012, 09:41 AM
We got 9 dollar/gallon on super 98 or 1.82 euro/liter. That's the maximum price for the moment.
Don't now how much tax there is in exact but it's around 60%. To much :(

JimN
04-11-2012, 10:21 AM
We got 9 dollar/gallon on super 98 or 1.82 euro/liter. That's the maximum price for the moment.
Don't now how much tax there is in exact but it's around 60%. To much :(

"Too much" is why I would like to see the breakdown. If it actually goes for something most people use it can easily be justified but if it goes toward a public transportation system that isn't used by most people, I have a problem with it because it's not a shared expense. I know Europe and many other countries have rail systems that are used by a large number of people and it's well run, the US couldn't build a new, comprehensive high speed rail system from scratch now because we have too much infrastructure in place that would need removal or re-routing. Then, it would need riders and when it's possible to fly from one coast to another in 5-6 hours for about $600, rail just doesn't make sense in this country.

Quinten
04-11-2012, 02:55 PM
"Too much" is why I would like to see the breakdown. If it actually goes for something most people use it can easily be justified but if it goes toward a public transportation system that isn't used by most people, I have a problem with it because it's not a shared expense. I know Europe and many other countries have rail systems that are used by a large number of people and it's well run, the US couldn't build a new, comprehensive high speed rail system from scratch now because we have too much infrastructure in place that would need removal or re-routing. Then, it would need riders and when it's possible to fly from one coast to another in 5-6 hours for about $600, rail just doesn't make sense in this country.

I think USA is to big for a rail way between states, flighing is much easier there.
The public transportation in Belgium is kind a bit of a mess, the bus doesn't mach the train hours, or train doesn't mach bus. Like a 20 min wait sometimes. Or they are delayed and make you wait for an hour. Or they discontinu the work for some goddamme reason. Like in Brussels for now, the public transportation in Brussels laid the work down for 4 days already because a bus driver got killed by a passenger. The public transportation is good if it works perfect :p

JimN
04-11-2012, 04:20 PM
I think USA is to big for a rail way between states, flighing is much easier there.
The public transportation in Belgium is kind a bit of a mess, the bus doesn't mach the train hours, or train doesn't mach bus. Like a 20 min wait sometimes. Or they are delayed and make you wait for an hour. Or they discontinu the work for some goddamme reason. Like in Brussels for now, the public transportation in Brussels laid the work down for 4 days already because a bus driver got killed by a passenger. The public transportation is good if it works perfect :p

We have a rail system between all of the states- the problem is that it was never designed for high speed and the US is freakin' huge. Not as big as Russia, China and a few others, but most European countries are as big, or smaller than most of our states. Given the choice, most people will fly, here. We also have a lot of land that's wide open and empty, making a rail trip long and boring. If we had a high speed rail system (200+MPH)across the country, it would still take 20 hours to go coast to coast, at best. This also keeps it from going through the Rocky Mountains (unsafe at those speeds and prohibitively expensive).

johnlanguab
04-11-2012, 04:50 PM
I'd just like to throw out the fact that the President doesn't set fuel prices and his impact on the price of gas is minimal. We have emerging markets all over the world gobbling up fuel and we have instability in the Middle East. Obama doesn't unilaterally control either of these things, contrary to what Newt says.

davidstan
04-11-2012, 05:32 PM
I'd just like to throw out the fact that the President doesn't set fuel prices and his impact on the price of gas is minimal. We have emerging markets all over the world gobbling up fuel and we have instability in the Middle East. Obama doesn't unilaterally control either of these things, contrary to what Newt says.

Dont know what Newt thinks but I think the oil futures market would get a chill if we had a president that would open every avenue possible (Keystone, Anwar, offshore) including some federal lands that no one has seen in a century. With a change from america being complacent about its own energy to aggressive you dont think that would cause a barrel to go down in price post haste? Have you ever wondered what would happen if it just didnt matter what the ragheads did to each other over there so that constant turmoil there would affect us not?

Ironhorse
04-11-2012, 07:04 PM
Supply and demand have a big impact on pricing, however refining capacity is also a major contributor. You can have all of the supply required (which is not the issue) but without refining capacity, you will always have higher priced fuel. Contrary to belief, the margins at the refining level and the hurdles the government has in place does not make expansion of existing infrastructure or new refineries an attractive investment. Unrest in the middle east will impact the crude price, but shutting down a refinery or two for turnaround will have a larger impact at the pump.

Tomi
04-12-2012, 01:27 AM
8,8 USD per gallon here in Finland. Government regulation locally and within EU. Just one way to tax the people. Getting ridiculous but I don't mind, at least this is one tax where you can actually impact how much you wish to pay and one tax that Greeks, Spaniards and Italians out there will also actually have to pay.

The good thing is that I wont be among the first who need to stop driving... :D :D

Phntmski
04-12-2012, 11:20 AM
.... at least this is one tax where you can actually impact how much you wish to pay and one tax that Greeks, Spaniards and Italians out there will also actually have to pay.

The good thing is that I wont be among the first who need to stop driving... :D :D

...we deal with those issues too, tho it's not europeans getting a free ride.

i drive about 65 miles one way to the nearest slalom course, twice a week if i'm lucky. this means i spend more on truck gas than boat gas. started storing the boat near the lake a couple years ago when the price differential made it more economic not to drag it everywhere. less wear and tear on the trailer too, not to mention road scars on the hull, which is nice. just keeps me from maintaining like i used to.

the biggest inconvenience tho is time. gotta plan 2 hrs into just getting to the lake and back. would be nice to be able to get in a couple sets when i just have a small time window, be it weather, daylight or just something going on.

of course if these are my biggest complaints, i have no complaints. i have more time and $ than most of the history of the planet and i'm way south of that $100,000 annual mentioned earlier. :D

johnlanguab
04-12-2012, 12:00 PM
http://www.npr.org/2012/04/11/150444802/where-does-america-get-oil-you-may-be-surprised?ft=1&f=1001&sc=tw&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Domestic production is up...

atlfootr
09-19-2012, 09:27 PM
Saw a post in last thread I was on, 'gas in tank' where a guy was paying $4 bucks a gallon.
Currently at $4.10 a gallon, empty it'll beI jus' payed $3.87 a gallon w/ tax for non - ethanol last week.
Wonder'n what the rest of you guys are shell'n out for fuel as well ....

mzimme
09-19-2012, 09:28 PM
4.01 for premium here :(

atlfootr
09-19-2012, 09:34 PM
Found this web site for you guys that also run non - ethanol.
Says they currently have 5849 stations entered for the following states and provinces.

Click on a state to see them!
http://pure-gas.org/

KelownaX45
09-19-2012, 09:47 PM
$6.77 CAD per us gallon here.
Thats $1.79 CAD per liter when fillin up on the water.
$677 to fill the tank.
That makes a $1500 weekend.

Covi
09-19-2012, 09:48 PM
$ 4.39 for 93 in VT today.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
09-19-2012, 10:03 PM
$3.69 for 89, $3.94 for 91...E10 is the only blend available in Houston, EPA mandate for Harris county and any county that touches Harris county.

hbomb
09-19-2012, 10:44 PM
In Melbourne Australia, we are currently paying $ 1.35 per litre for unleaded.......... if we convert to gallons, it runs it out to approximately $6.00 per gallon! or $6.28USD

We really have not gotten into E10, a bit of a non event actually....
our big buzz is diesel...... everyone is consumed in economy at the moment but for the privelage of economy we pay $ 1.50 per litre......$ 6.75 a gallon or $ 7 per gallon USD!!!

yep......... they reckon we are the lucky country!
scares the wallet when we fill the X2 let me tell ya!!

orbeamlb
09-19-2012, 10:59 PM
By comparison I'm feeling quite fortunate with the $3.49/gallon 2 miles from home. Can only get the E10 here in the Austin area though.

Traxx822
09-19-2012, 11:43 PM
Dang its $4.60 here for 89 valvetech . we are talking marine fuel right?

mikeg205
09-20-2012, 12:31 AM
last fillup was 4.60 - premium 93. adds up quick..... same boatin' less eating out...

CC2MC
09-20-2012, 12:56 AM
$3.79 for no ethanol here, but probably about to go up. Gas would go up right after I decide to buy this boat... Next up, a natural gas conversion!

GoneBoatN
09-20-2012, 01:35 AM
Ave price for mid-grade around here is $4.29. E-10 is the only thing to be had even at the marinas.

JDC
09-20-2012, 05:47 PM
$4.06 per for ethanol free 91 octane 2 miles from my house.

I pumped out my tank and wiped the inside clean a few weeks ago since I found water in the bottom of the tank. It was a painful $130 to fill it.

A guy who was filling his boat at the same time said he knows several people who work for the company and refinery for this station (Country Mark Co op). He said the ethanol free 91 octane is $.10 a gallon more than the 93 octane with ethanol as a penalty (courtesy of your friends at the federal government) because you're not buying ethanol.

I think the marina price is $1.00 more. However I don't get gas there anymore since I found the Co op down the street.

MC209
09-20-2012, 09:44 PM
3.95 unleaded 4.15 for premo here in south mn

76S&S
09-21-2012, 09:57 AM
I can buy ethanol free for roughly the same price as 10% ethanol just up the road from the house.

The part that gripes me, is that crude has dropped nearly $10 a barrel in the last couple of weeks and gas has dropped $0.10...

mikeg205
09-21-2012, 10:44 AM
I can buy ethanol free for roughly the same price as 10% ethanol just up the road from the house.

The part that gripes me, is that crude has dropped nearly $10 a barrel in the last couple of weeks and gas has dropped $0.10...

Ahhh thanks for bringing this up... funny (not laughing) how the oil companies now say that the rise and fall of oil prices not longer affect the price at the pump like it used to. Now its the supply at the refiners. I know bringing us the juice that we need is an expensive business - i.e. pipeline leak can cost north of $300million just of a small leak - but don't insult us by saying that the supply has been reduced.

The producers have found more untapped sources of crude and the higher price at the pump provides the dollars to extract it. I can't wait to hear/see that just a thunder storm cut power to one refinery and the price at the pump jumps .20 per gallon across the country.

Like I said above I get infuriated cuz the consumer is being treated like an idiot - c'mon maybe this weeks inventory is down but the supply has not changed....

sorry about the rant...:o

JimN
09-21-2012, 11:10 AM
Ahhh thanks for bringing this up... funny (not laughing) how the oil companies now say that the rise and fall of oil prices not longer affect the price at the pump like it used to. Now its the supply at the refiners. I know bringing us the juice that we need is an expensive business - i.e. pipeline leak can cost north of $300million just of a small leak - but don't insult us by saying that the supply has been reduced.

The producers have found more untapped sources of crude and the higher price at the pump provides the dollars to extract it. I can't wait to hear/see that just a thunder storm cut power to one refinery and the price at the pump jumps .20 per gallon across the country.

Like I said above I get infuriated cuz the consumer is being treated like an idiot - c'mon maybe this weeks inventory is down but the supply has not changed....

sorry about the rant...:o

But this week's inventory IS the supply. We don't use crude oil, we use gasoline, diesel and heating oil. I have heard that the US is a net EXporter of gasoline because we use so much diesel, so we trade gas for diesel to other countries.

I have also heard the pricing of gas described as "rockets and feathers". The price shoots up like rockets but floats down like feathers.

76S&S
09-21-2012, 11:52 AM
I have also heard the pricing of gas described as "rockets and feathers". The price shoots up like rockets but floats down like feathers.

Amen brother, that is reality!

rjracin240
09-21-2012, 12:44 PM
But this week's inventory IS the supply. We don't use crude oil, we use gasoline, diesel and heating oil. I have heard that the US is a net EXporter of gasoline because we use so much diesel, so we trade gas for diesel to other countries.

Not sure how accurate this is....always heard that when crude is refined there are different levels oil being a lower one then diesel then gasoline. So if we have enough gas to trade for diesel, why dont we make less gas and more diesel and save the cost of shipping this stuff all over the place!

mikeg205
09-21-2012, 02:34 PM

Yeah but the supply is not getting scarcer in reality and the price does not rise and fall as it should. Price will rise, rise, rise until demand drops - as we are now a net exporter? But you are correct they use the excuse to raise prices...And it is just recently that oil companies have moved to the mantra of refined products driving price to move the spotlight to the refiners.

And if it was truly a matte of supply/demand driving price than gas price would be included in the inflation numbers. Yeah gas for the boat is a luxury not for the car that i need to use to drive to work every day. If gas was at pre-obama's price or just a bit over, I personally would probably get a new car and renovate the house a bit.

If gas was cheaper maybe Kyle would buy better beer...:D

GoneBoatN
09-21-2012, 03:44 PM
...if it was truly a matte of supply/demand driving price ...

Actually, I think it is a fact of supply and demand. Unfortunately you just don't see many in the US willing to cut back gas consumption, at least I don't in my area. Stay at home moms drive thier kids to school - two blocks, really! My wife runs out with the car to get one shopping item, basically a daily occurance. My wife started on me about my high school age son and going to school to which I pointed out he has a bike and only if it is raining (does not rain much here) is he welcome to the car. Our neighborhood was designed with smaller schools distributed throughout the town so school busses were not needed at least not until high school (and really not needed then either). So what did our town do a couple of years ago, put in an optional school bus. You know why, so it would cut down on traffic to the schools. So many "stay at home" moms were driving thier kids to/from school every day causing traffic congestion on the local side streets. I see kids get off the bus where the walk to school is only 1 mile or 20 minutes (or less) walk.

IMHO, we are all just a little too quick to jump in the car.

Now boat gas, that's a different story. Entirely reasonable to be burning 6.5 gallons per hour. :D

mikeg205
09-21-2012, 04:46 PM
Actually, I think it is a fact of supply and demand. Unfortunately you just don't see many in the US willing to cut back gas consumption, at least I don't in my area. Stay at home moms drive thier kids to school - two blocks, really! My wife runs out with the car to get one shopping item, basically a daily occurance. My wife started on me about my high school age son and going to school to which I pointed out he has a bike and only if it is raining (does not rain much here) is he welcome to the car. Our neighborhood was designed with smaller schools distributed throughout the town so school busses were not needed at least not until high school (and really not needed then either). So what did our town do a couple of years ago, put in an optional school bus. You know why, so it would cut down on traffic to the schools. So many "stay at home" moms were driving thier kids to/from school every day causing traffic congestion on the local side streets. I see kids get off the bus where the walk to school is only 1 mile or 20 minutes (or less) walk.

IMHO, we are all just a little too quick to jump in the car.

Now boat gas, that's a different story. Entirely reasonable to be burning 6.5 gallons per hour. :D

Disagree on at the pump prices....statistically (I know... there's lies, damn lies and then statistics) its the commuters that are getting whacked. We built a society on urban sprawl where average commutes are 45 minutes to 1 hour. No good infrastructure to go to work unless home and employment lie along public transportation.

When I got laid off the height of the recession gas prices were at these current levels and a tad higher at times. At 8% unemployment not many people driving that much still. If we were at 4-5% unemployment and salaries were not at an all time low - I would be with you.

The economy sucks, were most likely going to get a tax increase. Unemployment is going to hang around 8% for who knows how long - and gas prices continue to creep up .05 a week when GDP growth is a meager 2% if we're lucky? 87 should be aroound 2.75 a gallon average right now with current conditions. All this quantitative easing is deflating our dollars making the cost of oil go up as well as gasoline;screwing us adults and worse to our kids. Attached is a chart of fuel prices since 2008. The Dow is almost back to its all time high, housing sucks, economy sucks, employment sucks, and us consumers are getting screwed.

http://gasbuddy.com/gb_retail_price_chart.aspx

BTW when I was paying north of $6 a gallon in Canada for boating - that was acceptable.. :D

XStar08
09-21-2012, 05:31 PM
Have a look over the ocean towards europe, don't think you are complaining on a high level...

mikeg205
09-21-2012, 05:43 PM
Have a look over the ocean towards europe, don't think you are complaining on a high level...

Different economics.... :) different cultures.... cities were built with public transportation in the forefront. When I travel to Europe and Japan I very rarely get into a car...no need...step out of office walk short distance to train and your on your way.

Even when I took a trip to Grindelwald, I landed in Zurich, walked across the street to train, changed trains once and arrived in Lecerne for a couple day stay...then jumped on train to Grindelwald....all very easy... when I was done in Switzerland another train took me to Rome. In rome it was taxis and walking...everything still centralized. Same in Japan to most places...

I live in the southwest suburbs... unless you want to take 3 hours to get somewhere you drive. Public transportation to suburbs is horrible.

I still have family in europe and commuting to work is much easier...yes I know petrol costs way more there, but the whole tax structure is different as well as pensions and healthcare.

What part of central europe are you from?

G-Star
09-21-2012, 06:06 PM
In Melbourne Australia, we are currently paying $ 1.35 per litre for unleaded.......... if we convert to gallons, it runs it out to approximately $6.00 per gallon! or $6.28USD

We really have not gotten into E10, a bit of a non event actually....
our big buzz is diesel...... everyone is consumed in economy at the moment but for the privelage of economy we pay $ 1.50 per litre......$ 6.75 a gallon or $ 7 per gallon USD!!!

yep......... they reckon we are the lucky country!
scares the wallet when we fill the X2 let me tell ya!!

We're paying about $1.39 CAD/Litre up here right now too. Not a lot of fun for the boat or the truck...

But I think you used the unit conversion to The Queen's gallons, not US gallons ;)
1 L = 3.785 USgal

PointTaken
09-21-2012, 07:14 PM
Just filled up for $4.22 a gallon for premium here in NC. Between the boat and the truck, the bill is getting up there.

XStar08
09-22-2012, 04:04 AM
Sorry fo double post...

XStar08
09-22-2012, 04:05 AM
mgorczac1: Switzerland! :D

You are right concerning public transportation. However I would say it's the other way round: because fuel is much more expensive (at least that is one reason) we have good public transportation. It's just economics.

Tax situation (which is also in between Switzerland very different) and healthcare are different topics and have nothing to do with fuel pricing (however it is to say that 60% of the fuel price is because of state tax). But still then, public transportation is expensive too!

JimN
09-22-2012, 09:13 AM
mgorczac1: Switzerland! :D

You are right concerning public transportation. However I would say it's the other way round: because fuel is much more expensive (at least that is one reason) we have good public transportation. It's just economics.

Tax situation (which is also in between Switzerland very different) and healthcare are different topics and have nothing to do with fuel pricing (however it is to say that 60% of the fuel price is because of state tax). But still then, public transportation is expensive too!

Reconstruction after WWII was the perfect time for Europe to establish a comprehensive railway system IMO, and the fuel price wasn't high when everything was rebuilt. While some Europeans do travel long distances by rail, don't most use rail when going from one country to the ones that are adjacent or maybe two countries away? I would guess that people still fly when they have to go from one end of Europe to another, rather than drive or rail- either would take far too long to make it practical, especially for business travel.

The 60% tax on fuel goes toward building/maintaining roads, right? It's supposed to work that way here, too. Unfortunately, members of our government see any revenue as fair game to use for their "pet" projects. They raided the Social Security Trust, too- that's why it's going to fail, yet WE have to pay for their bad management. However, high taxes on gas have everything to do with your health care system- if a government is to pay for major programs, the money has to come from somewhere and taxation is better than just going to the people's homes and taking part of what the people have.

mikeg205
09-22-2012, 12:28 PM
The 60% tax on fuel goes toward building/maintaining roads, right? It's supposed to work that way here, too. Unfortunately, members of our government see any revenue as fair game to use for their "pet" projects. They raided the Social Security Trust, too- that's why it's going to fail, yet WE have to pay for their bad management. However, high taxes on gas have everything to do with your health care system- if a government is to pay for major programs, the money has to come from somewhere and taxation is better than just going to the people's homes and taking part of what the people have.

'nuff said...!!! regarding pet project....solyndra - damn I could have found 529 million ways to spend 529 million dollars :(

JimN
09-22-2012, 01:07 PM
'nuff said...!!! regarding pet project....solyndra - damn I could have found 529 million ways to spend 529 million dollars :(

Like, 135 million gallons of gas @ $3.89/gallon?

mikeg205
03-29-2013, 02:38 PM
Bump - thread revival - well gas prices have been self a - fulfilling prophecy -

http://business.time.com/2013/01/09/2013-gas-price-forecast-around-4-per-gallon-by-spring/

all in all not bad compared to last season... 16-20 bucks a tank full - but again...it's ski and boat money....

gid
03-29-2013, 03:49 PM
My MC only hold 12 gallons so that is not bad. My jet ski holds 20 gallons of Premium!

Double D
03-29-2013, 03:55 PM
Bump - thread revival - well gas prices have been self a - fulfilling prophecy -

http://business.time.com/2013/01/09/2013-gas-price-forecast-around-4-per-gallon-by-spring/

all in all not bad compared to last season... 16-20 bucks a tank full - but again...it's ski and boat money....

Saw the news last night and some group called IMF thinks that we in the US should be paying more in gas tax, like increasing it by $1.40/gallon. Really?? At least the Republicans are saying something against it.

They actually interviewed two people with differing opinions. If anyone knows the second guy they interviewed, go slap him in the head!! MORON!!

http://www.foxbusiness.com/industries/2013/03/28/top-house-republican-pushes-back-at-imf-gas-tax-study/

captain planet
03-29-2013, 04:00 PM
Part of the reason gas is so expensive is due to inflation. You can thank the fed for that.

carracer
03-31-2013, 02:52 PM
All of the reason is trading and futures on Wall Street, consumption is down nation wide so it is all about keeping profits up......

pap
03-31-2013, 07:45 PM
Sorry, but that is just stupid and from someone that doesn't understand futures trading. There are just as many people short gasoline futures or there wouldn't be a market.

Planet is right: petrodollars are inflated by the fed printing huge amounts of money.

mikeg205
03-31-2013, 08:46 PM
Sorry, but that is just stupid and from someone that doesn't understand futures trading. There are just as many people short gasoline futures or there wouldn't be a market.

Planet is right: petrodollars are inflated by the fed printing huge amounts of money.

Regardless, we'll have more fun than they will - :).... captain is right... unfortunately...many folks are clueless... frankly I don't care anymore.. I am going to enjoy as much as I can.. and make sure my vote counts... even though it really doesn't matter.

carracer
04-01-2013, 10:17 AM
High Gas Prices: Supply, Demand and the Oil Industry’s Monopoly on Transportation

Efficiency and Better Cars Will Fuel America Faster than Drilling

Listen

By the Numbers: Facts About Oil

$137 billion: How much the Big 5 oil companies made in profits last year (up 75 percent from a year earlier)

150% +: Percentage increase in operating oil, gas drilling rigs in past ten years in the United States.

$481 billion: How much Americans spent on gasoline last year -- a record high

34%: The amount of profit the oil industry gets from every $1 you spend at the pump

5.7 million barrels a day: The amount of oil consumption we can cut with more efficient vehicles, better public transportation options, cleaner fuels and making other improvements.

Once again, high gas prices are draining our wallets and making us crazy.

What to do?
•We've drilled, baby, we've drilled. We're now drilling more in this country than we have in nearly a decade.
•We've given tax breaks and other wasteful incentives to oil companies to try and ease our pain at the pump. We now give about $4 billion in tax breaks to the oil and gas industry each and every year.
•We've listened to naysayers tell us that pursuing clean energy alternatives to oil and gas is a waste of our time and money. Now, the United States is lagging much of the rest of the world on clean energy.

And what have we gotten in return?

Gas prices that are hitting new highs, an economy held hostage to global instability and an oil industry monopoly on our transportation system.

There's nothing we can do to control the price of gas in America, because oil prices are set on a global marketplace. As we've seen, more drilling certainly isn't the answer, because that's done nothing to reduce prices at the pump. The only thing more drilling has done is increase profits for oil companies – to the tune of $137 billion last year alone, a 75 percent rise since the year before. Who else got a 75 percent raise in the middle of a recession?

The fact is, the only way we can reduce how much we spend on gasoline is to reduce how much gasoline we use.

JimN
04-01-2013, 10:36 AM
The fact is, the only way we can reduce how much we spend on gasoline is to reduce how much gasoline we use.

This is basically what WE Energies has been saying for years- "use less energy" to save money. That's a load of crap- they're beholden to their shareholders, using cost-plus as their model, so they raise rates when they need to make improvements, they raise rates when they don't sell enough energy, they raise rates when they're fined by the EPA, they raise rates when they're sued for starting construction on a coal-fired power plant that the people in that area said they didn't want and wasn't needed, then WE Energies found that they didn't have enough demand to run it at anything near full capacity.

We can use less, but that won't guarantee lower cost at the pump, it means we'll use less gallons. They have already conditioned us to accept high prices.

carracer
04-01-2013, 11:38 AM
We can use less, but that won't guarantee lower cost at the pump, it means we'll use less gallons. They have already conditioned us to accept high prices.[/QUOTE]

I agree... I meant personally spend less not that it would effect price at the pump!

JimN
04-01-2013, 11:42 AM
We can use less, but that won't guarantee lower cost at the pump, it means we'll use less gallons. They have already conditioned us to accept high prices.

I agree... I meant personally spend less not that it would effect price at the pump!

But, there's no way to get away from the higher fuel prices. The cost of everything is increasing and our food supply has to be moved form one place to another. Part of the problem with this is that the Gub'mint no longer uses food prices when calculating inflation, AFAIK. That's incredibly stupid- we can't ignore this because we can't go without food for very long and we don't all grow our own, nor do we all have access to fresh food from local suppliers on an year-long basis.

pap
04-01-2013, 03:53 PM
Sorry that 34% is just nonsense.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/269679-oil-industry-profit-margin-ranks-fairly-low-there-are-bigger-fish

Compare that with Apple.

Then come back and complain about big oil.

I get pissed at paying $4/gal, but it's the GOVT that is screwing up gas prices. You do realize the gov't takes FAR more in taxes per gallon than the oil companies profit. The oil companies make huge capital investments (billions of dollars), get the oil out of the ground, process it, ship it, and provide us easy access to it. And the gov't does what exactly for it's larger share???

JimN
04-01-2013, 04:06 PM
Compare that with Apple.

I get pissed at paying $4/gal, but it's the GOVT that is screwing up gas prices. You do realize the gov't takes FAR more in taxes per gallon than the oil companies profit. The oil companies make huge capital investments (billions of dollars), get the oil out of the ground, process it, ship it, and provide us easy access to it. And the gov't does what exactly for it's larger share???

People want Apple products because it makes them feel like they're one of the cool kids. Gas is just for transportation, to most people. It doesn't make them feel better about anything.

As far as your last question, well, they're the government- they can do whatever they want, apparently. :mad::firejump::eek:

mikeg205
04-01-2013, 04:07 PM
Oil is a bunch of BS - we were at Peak Oil "all reserves found" a few years ago...now we are becoming net exporters. Corn prices are collapsing.... no relief for the middle class..

so plus one PAP...

JimN
04-01-2013, 04:13 PM
Oil is a bunch of BS - we were at Peak Oil "all reserves found" a few years ago...now we are becoming net exporters. Corn prices are collapsing.... no relief for the middle class..

so plus one PAP...

How are corn prices collapsing if so much is used for ethanol production, thereby, removing it from food/feed production? High Fructose Corn Oil is in everything, too. Do they extract the oil before they ferment it?

mikeg205
04-01-2013, 04:20 PM
How are corn prices collapsing if so much is used for ethanol production, thereby, removing it from food/feed production? High Fructose Corn Oil is in everything, too. Do they extract the oil before they ferment it?

may prices donw 5.5% http://www.businessinsider.com/corn-price-freefall-2013-4

mzimme
04-01-2013, 04:44 PM

Solyndra was more to the tune of 733,000,000 ;). I should know, we serviced that loan when it went into default.

mikeg205
04-01-2013, 04:49 PM
Solyndra was more to the tune of 733,000,000 ;). I should know, we serviced that loan when it went into default.

So you approved that loan... ;)

mzimme
04-01-2013, 04:50 PM
Sorry that 34% is just nonsense.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/269679-oil-industry-profit-margin-ranks-fairly-low-there-are-bigger-fish

Compare that with Apple.

I don't mind if the government takes a lot for taxes on fuel. I'd rather be taxed on something I can control my consumption on, like fuel, over higher income taxes that punishes me for making a better living. At least I know fuel taxes go into things like road maintenance, where it betters the infrastructure I'm spending money on fuel to use. What sucks is getting taxed and watching Ladasha over on the corner of Prospect and Troost lug her 16 children onto the bus at 12:15 on a school day.

mzimme
04-01-2013, 05:01 PM
So you approved that loan... ;)

Haha no, not me. That was Obama. Then he tried to turn the Department of Energy into a loan servicer, which was a horrible idea. The company I work for services all of those loans given by the government throught hat portion of TARP. We have a portfolio of about $16B in government loans... some of which haven't even become active, others already in default (Beacon Power, Abound Solar, Solyndra, and most recently... Fisker).

The government SUCKS at servicing loans. They're so unorganized it's not even funny. They have no idea about stipulations laid out in the loan contracts they approved, and are constantly asking us about interpretations and other information. Pretty comical really considering the amount of money that's at stake.

JimN
04-01-2013, 05:04 PM

But the $543M (or whatever the supposed amount was) wasn't paid in full. Servicing their debt AND giving them more than half a billion should never have happened and we need to look into whose name is on the line for it, as well as what the eff made them think this was a good idea.

mzimme
04-01-2013, 05:06 PM
But the $543M (or whatever the supposed amount was) wasn't paid in full. Servicing their debt AND giving them more than half a billion should never have happened and we need to look into whose name is on the line for it, as well as what the eff made them think this was a good idea.

Well, Nancy Pelosi's brother in law was involved in some of these loans, and because of that received very preferential treatment through the approval process... or so those are the rumors I've heard. ;)

JimN
04-01-2013, 05:06 PM
Haha no, not me. That was Obama. Then he tried to turn the Department of Energy into a loan servicer, which was a horrible idea. The company I work for services all of those loans given by the government throught hat portion of TARP. We have a portfolio of about $16B in government loans... some of which haven't even become active, others already in default (Beacon Power, Abound Solar, Solyndra, and most recently... Fisker).

The government SUCKS at servicing loans. They're so unorganized it's not even funny. They have no idea about stipulations laid out in the loan contracts they approved, and are constantly asking us about interpretations and other information. Pretty comical really considering the amount of money that's at stake.

Why not just buy Cypress and declare it a US territory, so we'll have a new vacation destination?

JimN
04-01-2013, 05:07 PM
Well, Nancy Pelosi's brother in law was involved in some of these loans, and because of that received very preferential treatment through the approval process... or so those are the rumors I've heard. ;)

What a fargin' surprise!

mikeg205
04-01-2013, 05:07 PM
Tax payers left smiley - POTUS right smiley

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-angry009.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

JimN
04-01-2013, 05:09 PM
Tax payers left smiley - POTUS right smiley

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-angry009.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

POTUS and Cobgress. That's not a typo, either. It was, at first but I thought about it and that's what I feel they're doing to us.

Oh, and the stick isn't nearly big and sharp enough.

mzimme
04-01-2013, 05:09 PM
What a fargin' surprise!

Congress is "investigating" this... whatever is involved with that. Kind of hard for the government to punish itself for being retarded. But really, this is all on Obama. One of those great "successes" he was talking about in a couple of the debates a few months back. I couldn't believe he was bragging about this Loan Guarantee Program. I wanted to call Romney up and give the guy some serious ammo, which I was surprised he didn't have (or use).

JimN
04-01-2013, 05:11 PM
Congress is "investigating" this... whatever is involved with that. Kind of hard for the government to punish itself for being retarded.

And that's why they shouldn't be allowed to investigate their own. That's like the general public being left on their own, without law enforcement, laws, etc.

mzimme
04-01-2013, 05:12 PM
And that's why they shouldn't be allowed to investigate their own. That's like the general public being left on their own, without law enforcement, laws, etc.

Exactly. I couldn't imagine what an outside firm would find if they came and audited the government on this loan program. It'd be ridiculous. Hell, we save EVERY piece of correspondence with the DOE, just to protect us because we know how bad they are. I'm talking EVERY email is digitally saved.

mzimme
04-01-2013, 05:14 PM
Oh... and the best part is seeing some of the invoices of these companies that are going in default.

Examples:
Luxor Hotel - Vegas
NetJets

Tax money hard at work right there.

mikeg205
04-01-2013, 05:15 PM
Oh... and the best part is seeing some of the invoices of these companies that are going in default.

Examples:
Luxor Hotel - Vegas
NetJets

Tax money hard at work right there.

Luxor? Lol - now I'll be thinking about thread while I am there...

JimN
04-01-2013, 05:20 PM
Exactly. I couldn't imagine what an outside firm would find if they came and audited the government on this loan program. It'd be ridiculous. Hell, we save EVERY piece of correspondence with the DOE, just to protect us because we know how bad they are. I'm talking EVERY email is digitally saved.

With the ability to hack, I would keep at least three copies- digital, physical and etched in something that can't be destroyed.

mzimme
04-01-2013, 05:25 PM
With the ability to hack, I would keep at least three copies- digital, physical and etched in something that can't be destroyed.

Haha we have a basement full of stones scribed with correspondence. 10 commandment style. :cool:

JimN
04-01-2013, 05:33 PM
Haha we have a basement full of stones scribed with correspondence. 10 commandment style. :cool:

I would do it like the Rosetta stone, in the even that our language dies out and they're found in the future.