PDA

View Full Version : rudder leaking

ttu
03-25-2012, 06:08 PM
first day out this season and i had steady stream coming in from the rudder. boat is a 07 x2. i greased it last year.

any ideas other than just needing more grease?

thanks.

Dmybos
03-25-2012, 07:04 PM
Probably need to replace the packing.

CantRepeat
03-25-2012, 07:13 PM
first day out this season and i had steady stream coming in from the rudder. boat is a 07 x2. i greased it last year.

any ideas other than just needing more grease?

thanks.

Replace the two O-rings in the rudder port and grease it.

ttu
03-25-2012, 08:39 PM
Replace the two O-rings in the rudder port and grease it.

thanks guys. how big of a job am i looking at and where to get the o-rings? ski dim i assume.

tr6coug
03-26-2012, 01:14 AM
Same thing happened to me last year. When I grabbed the rudder and shook it, there was about 1/2" of play. The plastic bushing inside the rudder port was shot. Replaced the whole rudder port.

CantRepeat
03-26-2012, 09:04 AM
thanks guys. how big of a job am i looking at and where to get the o-rings? ski dim i assume.

Or any dealer, they are pretty cheap. You might also replace that teflon washer as well while you're at it.

It's an easy job. One larger cotter pin and one bolt to get it out. Getting to them might be the challenge depending on your model.

ttu
03-26-2012, 09:49 AM
thanks guys. i will get the parts ordered along with a new impeller.

BrooksfamX2
03-26-2012, 10:04 AM
Mine was leaking a little last fall. Will try greasing first before tearing into it. Now just need get it in the water....boating season coming soon, but not soon enough...........

bturner2
03-26-2012, 10:09 AM
Mine was leaking last year too. I need to put that on the list and get the parts ordered today.

Table Rocker
03-26-2012, 10:59 AM
I just changed mine ('96 205) since I shipped the rudder of to OJ's for cavitation burn repair. The worst part for me was the trailer prop guard was in the way, so I had to jack the boat up high enough for the rudder to clear the trailer.

Also, on the steering arm it has a nut and bolt that tightens the clamp onto the rudder. I took the nut off and was trying to get the bolt to push out. After a bit I learned the back side of the clamp is threaded, so you have to back the bolt out of the clamp.

Other than that, it was a piece of cake. You need a sharp pick of some type to get the old ones out, clean all the old grease out with a rag, slap some new grease in there and the new o-rings practically jump into the grooves.

ttu
03-26-2012, 01:19 PM
can i replace just the o-rings or do i have to replace the whole rudder port.

Table Rocker
03-26-2012, 01:34 PM
can i replace just the o-rings or do i have to replace the whole rudder port.
You can replace just the o-rings.