PDA

View Full Version : Hot MCX 04 X2

itsallyellow
03-25-2012, 11:04 AM
Hi,

Went out this morning for the first time this year.... The engine ran perfectly yesterday on the flush kit and stayed cool. However this morning after a couple of minutes the engine check buzzer went and the water temp was high approx 210 degrees.

Firstly what are the chances I have damaged the engine? Or do they take getting a bit warm ok?

Secondly it sounds to me like the impeller may have stopped working? Does this sound like the cause or may it be somthing else?

Boat is a 2004 X2 with an MCX done 312 hours.

Thanks!
Mike

gweaver
03-25-2012, 11:20 AM
I think the impeller is a good place to start. If it's the first time out after sitting for a while, I'd start there. You had it hooked up to a hose- you probably wouldn't notice a bad impeller as the hose water was coming in under pressure, requiring little help from the impeller. Once you take it off the hose and make the impeller do its job, it might not have been able to draw enough water to keep the engine cool if it was old/deformed from sitting. It's an inexpensive part.
As for damage, I'd be surprised if you did much damage, assuming you shut it down quickly. Pull the impeller, replace it and fire it up. Probably a good time to check your other fluids too, before you put it back in the water.
G

CantRepeat
03-25-2012, 11:23 AM
Also look for blockage in the trans cooler.

itsallyellow
03-25-2012, 11:58 AM
Thanks for your help, just want to get back on the water!

itsallyellow
03-25-2012, 04:30 PM
Have checked this tonight, impeller looks and feels fine. I did find a crack in the casing of the one way valve conection for the flush kit. However I can't see this causing the problem as there was hardly any water inside the boat.

Can now only think it is the thermostat? Are there ever many problems with the water feed pre- impeller?

Thanks

Jerseydave
03-25-2012, 07:43 PM
Have checked this tonight, impeller looks and feels fine. I did find a crack in the casing of the one way valve conection for the flush kit. However I can't see this causing the problem as there was hardly any water inside the boat.

Can now only think it is the thermostat? Are there ever many problems with the water feed pre- impeller?

Thanks

If you have a plastic flush-pro that is cracked it would cause the impeller to not draw enough suction to flow water to the engine. It would be the same as having a loose hose on the suction side of the impeller. Can you just remove the flush-pro and run a straight hose in it's place? See if she runs at the correct temp then.