PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Pump leaking at connection

nbkdaw3
03-25-2012, 10:39 AM
In replacing my rudder port in my 2006 197 I noticed how dirty my bildge area was So I took the motor box out and cleaned the entire area yeserday. It looks great. I also need to redo the liner in the motor box so it was a god time to check it all out as the season begins. Great threads and pictures on how to line your motor box here if needed. The boat had not been run so I wanted to make sure we would be good to go next week as I finish up on the spring cleaning and ouf course I wanted to see how my handy work on the runner port was holding up so I left the carpet liner out to see if I had any leak at the runner port. To my surprise I have a leake at the fuel pump. At first I thought it was the connection and it may be but as I checked the fitting and watch the fuel come out it really appears the stem of the fuel pump may have a slight pin hole. Has anyone ever experienced this? I seem to burn through these expensive fuel pumps all the time. I think I have been through at least 2 with this boat at about 1000 hours. If the stem has a pin hole do you think would try to seal it with a small weld? Of course the pump would have to come out and all the fuel out but seems like to could be done. Also where do you find the plastic key to remove the fuel line. I know my dealer has one but he is well over an hour away. Can we buy them at a NAPA store and anyone know the part number. I did clean the take and did pull on the fuel pump housing to clean around it but it seem to me the way the fuel line is attached creating a seperation that would leak would be hard to do. I did not beat it I just cleaned around it by hand with a brush and rag to get rid of the mold. There is a filter on the fuel pump and I do replace it now once a year as I am told a new filter will prolong the life of the fule pumps.

trickskier
03-25-2012, 11:18 AM
In replacing my rudder port in my 2006 197 I noticed how dirty my bildge area was So I took the motor box out and cleaned the entire area yeserday. It looks great. I also need to redo the liner in the motor box so it was a god time to check it all out as the season begins. Great threads and pictures on how to line your motor box here if needed. The boat had not been run so I wanted to make sure we would be good to go next week as I finish up on the spring cleaning and ouf course I wanted to see how my handy work on the runner port was holding up so I left the carpet liner out to see if I had any leak at the runner port. To my surprise I have a leake at the fuel pump. At first I thought it was the connection and it may be but as I checked the fitting and watch the fuel come out it really appears the stem of the fuel pump may have a slight pin hole. Has anyone ever experienced this? I seem to burn through these expensive fuel pumps all the time. I think I have been through at least 2 with this boat at about 1000 hours. If the stem has a pin hole do you think would try to seal it with a small weld? Of course the pump would have to come out and all the fuel out but seems like to could be done. Also where do you find the plastic key to remove the fuel line. I know my dealer has one but he is well over an hour away. Can we buy them at a NAPA store and anyone know the part number. I did clean the take and did pull on the fuel pump housing to clean around it but it seem to me the way the fuel line is attached creating a seperation that would leak would be hard to do. I did not beat it I just cleaned around it by hand with a brush and rag to get rid of the mold. There is a filter on the fuel pump and I do replace it now once a year as I am told a new filter will prolong the life of the fule pumps.

rOd iS tHis yOu??? :rolleyes:

Jerseydave
03-25-2012, 11:28 AM
If indeed your fuel pump is leaking where the line connects you may be able to take it to a radiator shop for repair, but keep in mind there is more pressure at this line than any radiator.

You can buy the fuel line release tool at any NAPA or other auto parts store. I would recommend the aluminum tool over the plastic or metal ones.

Whatever you do, don't ignore a fuel leak on your boat.

nbkdaw3
03-25-2012, 11:43 AM
Yes I agree you cannot ignore a fuel leak. Extremely dangerous has to be fixed. Thanks

mikeg205
03-25-2012, 05:06 PM
When you say leak at the fuel pump...leaking on top of fuel tank unit? NAPA has the parts to redo fuel connection...there's a thread here I read on changing this out. Fuel line removal tool about $3. And yes there are threads about the fuel pump failing in the 2001-2007 (East TX knows this better)

nbkdaw3
03-25-2012, 07:14 PM
Leaking right at the connection. If I had not been replacing the rudder port I would have not had carpet liner out. Because I had it out to check my handy work I luckily saw the leak. I did clean the entire tank area but I cannot imagine a little brushing would have caused the issue.