PDA

View Full Version : I've got a friend........................

milkmania
08-14-2005, 07:13 AM
I know, I know, most stories start out like this, but I've got afriend that's got a chance to buy a 2001 Larson 180 SEI with a Volvo Penta 3.0, (135 HP) with bimini top, JVC AM/FM/CD player, single axle trailer. for a considerable price.

the boat appears to be in really good shape, and I can't find out very much on the Larson boats.... good, bad, or ugly.
What about the drive train on this particulat model?

this is for a recreational skier, that mostly want to cruise the lake and throw a rope out every once in a while.

Does anyone know any negative or positive about this series of boats?
(besides the wheels don't match):noface:

Honest, it's not me!
I've got my PS190:woohoo:

http://www.writeonrice.com/Larson.jpg

ski_king
08-14-2005, 08:12 AM
..................I've got afriend that's got a chance to buy a for a considerable price..............

Friends don't let friends by I/O's.............

Looks like a fairly heavy boat for a 135 I/O............ getting an adult up on slalom will be a strugle,

bigmac
08-14-2005, 08:16 AM
I know, I know, most stories start out like this, but I've got afriend that's got a chance to buy a for a considerable price.

the boat appears to be in really good shape, and I can't find out very much on the Larson boats.... good, bad, or ugly.
What about the drive train on this particulat model?

this is for a recreational skier, that mostly want to cruise the lake and throw a rope out every once in a while.

Does anyone know any negative or positive about this series of boats?
(besides the wheels don't match):noface:

Honest, it's not me!
I've got my PS190:woohoo:

Larson boats are made about 20 miles south of here in Little Falls, Minnesota, so I see a LOT of them around up here and know a lot of people that own them. I've never heard anyone say anything bad about a Larson boat. OTOH, when people say good things about them, it usually relates to what a great boat it is for the money. My own impression of them, having been in a few of their bowriders, is that they are well designed and competently made. Design and construction are WAY ahead of Bayliner. But for some reason, Larson boats just don't seem to stimulate much in the way of passion. For the life of me, I can't figure out why people around here buy Glastrons (for example) instead of a Larson.

shepherd
08-14-2005, 09:00 AM

Looks like a fairly heavy boat for a 135 I/O............ getting an adult up on slalom will be a strugle,

Ditto that. My first I/O was a 18' Stingray with a 135 and I always wished I had more power because I couldn't keep up with my friends' boats. Also, to pull a slalom skier out of the water, all passengers had to step up into the bow to keep the nose down and get her up on plane. Naturally, my next boat was a Mastercraft ;)

6ballsisall
08-14-2005, 09:05 AM
Thats a nice looking boat for an I/O! 135hp will be pretty light for that boat when pulling a slalom skier. Don't get me wrong, it can be done. My fam has a 96' Regal 18' with 195hp 4.3v6 and we floor it pulling up double boot slalom skiers. You could do it with this boat but you'lll drink some water

milkmania
08-14-2005, 09:15 AM
thanks for the replies guys

I'm still sending him as many MC boats as I can

If I could have found a deal like Jeff, I could sell the friend my PS190, and buy a good deal;)

stevo137
08-14-2005, 11:16 AM
Thats a nice looking boat for an I/O! 135hp will be pretty light for that boat when pulling a slalom skier. Don't get me wrong, it can be done. My fam has a 96' Regal 18' with 195hp 4.3v6 and we floor it pulling up double boot slalom skiers. You could do it with this boat but you'lll drink some water
My friends on Bass lake had a 55 hp outboard on a Larson. It had about a built in fuel tank in the bow and was a very solid boat. They have been around for a long time because that was about 25 years ago.
Since the lake was so shallow on their end of the lake, we could only do standing shallow water starts or pier starts and we used to get about 4 feet of slack in the rope, hold on hard and say "hit it"! Yee Haa!
We had some good times in that boat...

Upper Michigan Prostar190
08-14-2005, 11:25 AM

Thats right Powerslot! JUST SAY NO!!!! :noface:

(this advertisement paid for by MOAIO-Mastercraft Owners Against Inboard Outboards) :uglyhamme

It all starts with "just one" ride on a I/O. then you go several times a week with your new "friends". then its everyday. before you know it, youre driving a Bayliner. :eek:

;)

erkoehler
08-14-2005, 12:26 PM
Thats right Powerslot! JUST SAY NO!!!! :noface:

(this advertisement paid for by MOAIO-Mastercraft Owners Against Inboard Outboards) :uglyhamme

It all starts with "just one" ride on a I/O. then you go several times a week with your new "friends". then its everyday. before you know it, youre driving a Bayliner.
;)

Thats awesome LMAO!!! :uglyhamme

stevo137
08-14-2005, 02:15 PM
I found the boat. A 1965 Larson Identical to this but in yellow.
We did a lot of skiing behind that boat. A guy a few houses down who was a very good skier liked to trick behind it, helicopters and all...
http://www.boats.com/listing/boat_details.jsp?entityid=13639671&searchtype=buy&searchid=1&back=%2Flisting%2Fcache%2Flisting_search_results.j sp%3FSearch.x%3D52%26searchtype%3Dbuy%26sm%3D3%26t oYear%3D1980%26currencyid%3D100%26luom%3D126%26Sea rch.y%3D3%26man%3Dlarson%26slim%3Dquick%26psdistan ce%3D500%26searchPage%3D%252Flisting%252Fcache%252 Fquick_search.jsp&showDL=false&showMD=false&clk_srclnk_name

erkoehler
08-14-2005, 02:18 PM
Maybe the toolman or dooker are in the market for an upgrade! :banana:

stevo137
08-14-2005, 02:27 PM
I see that our weather still has you at home too Erk... :(

MarkP
08-14-2005, 02:41 PM
I see that our weather still has you at home too Erk... :(That blows......

erkoehler
08-14-2005, 02:48 PM
I see that our weather still has you at home too Erk... :(

Stll home! I just mowed the lawn, and then uncovered the boat. I found 2 people to hit the water with me around 5pm. Hopefully we can get a few runs in. It is still really cloudy, 74 degrees, but no rain yet today! :D

Cloaked
08-14-2005, 08:58 PM
Volvo parts are time consuming to acquire (from Mr. Dealer) and fairly pricey!

The motor is light duty for the boat and the additional live loads to accompany.

erkoehler
08-14-2005, 11:17 PM
Tonight, I was forced into hating I/O's for life! They were all over the river, and making huge waves when I was trying to foot. Here was the main offender:

captkidd
08-15-2005, 02:06 PM
Looks like a nice boat, and Larsons seem to have a good rep, but I gotta agree on the lack of power; 135 hp just isn't much for a boat that size. Is it a 4 or 6 cylinder? A 6 would be better, but still underpowered. However, if gas prices keep going up, he might be the only one on the lake.