PDA

View Full Version : Help with Digital Cable at the house?

rem_p
08-13-2005, 10:58 PM
ok guys i have digital cable at my place in auburn...today me and my room mate ran cable to his room and put a spliter on so we could have cable in both bed rooms and living room....well we have cable in both bed rooms but in the living room (where the digital cable box is located) we dont get a picture or sound or anything....the guide tells you what is on whatever channel you have it on but no picture or audio....been sitting here on hold for customer service for almost an hour now and im startin to get pissed....not how i planned on spending a saturday nite....so if any of you guys has any ideas on how i can fix it im open for suggestions....i think the problem all lies within the box..thanks

Workin' 4 Toys
08-13-2005, 11:09 PM
ok guys i have digital cable at my place in auburn...today me and my room mate ran cable to his room and put a spliter on so we could have cable in both bed rooms and living room....well we have cable in both bed rooms but in the living room (where the digital cable box is located) we dont get a picture or sound or anything....the guide tells you what is on whatever channel you have it on but no picture or audio....been sitting here on hold for customer service for almost an hour now and im startin to get pissed....not how i planned on spending a saturday nite....so if any of you guys has any ideas on how i can fix it im open for suggestions....i think the problem all lies within the box..thanks
You must use the proper splitter. Catch a "cable guy" on the street and ask that person what you need, The operator on the phone is not going to help you hook up multiple tvs/computers. (at least I doubt it)

JimN
08-13-2005, 11:45 PM
The demands of current cable systems now include higher frequencies and the cable box sends info(data) back to the system, like when a movie is rented, etc. If the splitter is subpar, the cable isn't RG-6 with proper F connectors, or the cable has been kinked tightly, you will have bad picture at the minimum. The splitter needs to pass at least 1.5 Gigahertz. Personally, I thonk going out and buying a Monster Cable splitter is a waste of money. You can go to Home Depot and get one that will work for about $7-$12. Twist-on F connectors will not do the job. Snap&Seal are what I would recommend, but the crimpers are expensive. Go to the cable company office and ask for a couple of cables if they're not too long. You may be able to buy pre-made cables, but they're overpriced, too. This may tip the scales as far as buying the Snap & Seal crimper. The IDEAL 3 blade stripper works best for RG-6 and Snap&Seal connectors. The grey one that makes 2 cuts is fine for RG-59, but not RG-6. The IDEAL (black plastic, available at H-D) makes it easier to slide the end on the cable.

Otherwise, see if they can make some up for you. Also, look into the end of the connector and see if there are any strands of the shield that may be in contact with the center conductor. This will kill your signal.

Workin' 4 Toys
08-13-2005, 11:52 PM
there may also me a difference if you split it before or after the box. How do you have it set up?

rem_p
08-14-2005, 12:21 AM
split the main cable going into the box...room mate bought all the stuff i just helped him try to hook it up not sure about whats what...ill find out some more stuff from him and try to work on it some more tommorrow...thanks for the tips

rem_p
08-14-2005, 04:13 PM
room mate called the cable company this morning and they told him somehow something got screwed up with the account info and they didnt have us listed as having a digital box????? i dont know how it worked for the last 2 weeks but its all good now...was workin this mornin when i got up so thats cool with me...thanks guys

Leroy
08-14-2005, 06:00 PM
Cable guys! Be sure to correct your bill for the outage!

erkoehler
08-14-2005, 06:04 PM
Cable guys! Be sure to correct your bill for the outage!

It was broken for atleast a week :D

east tx skier
08-14-2005, 07:12 PM
If you are looking to watch the same thing on every tv, split it after the box with a cheap splitter. If you have multiple boxes, i.e., to watch different things on the different tvs, then you may need more than just the cheap splitter. I've got dish, and the splitters were pretty pricey. Also, like cable, you get charged extra for each receiver. I've got two, one upstairs and one downstairs. I've got ordinary cheap-o splits after the boxes and it works fine.

rem_p
08-15-2005, 12:29 AM
It was broken for atleast a week :D

haha yea really, and i didnt do anything to it :D they said they were gonna credit my account so thats cool with me everything is good to go....thanks for the help guys.

jimmer2880
08-15-2005, 08:15 AM
If you are looking to watch the same thing on every tv, split it after the box with a cheap splitter. If you have multiple boxes, i.e., to watch different things on the different tvs, then you may need more than just the cheap splitter. I've got dish, and the splitters were pretty pricey. Also, like cable, you get charged extra for each receiver. I've got two, one upstairs and one downstairs. I've got ordinary cheap-o splits after the boxes and it works fine.

If you want to watch different channels, but don't really need the extra digital only channels, if you split before the box & go into a cable ready TV (anything built after 1990 era), you get analog cable for no extra cost.