PDA

View Full Version : Average cost of maintenance

Kyle
03-23-2012, 05:18 PM
What is the average cost of maintenance per year for you guys? Since buying my boat I've done nothing but drop thousands at it making it new, better, cooler. That being said I have never had a year yet that I haven't spent money that was just maintenance needs. Heck what do you guys think are the regular maintenance items are and what do you spend.

Ive done a complete rebuild it seems like on my boat. I think I have bought it and then bought it at least 1.5 more times with a new engine, tranny, stereo system, and upgrades.

CantRepeat
03-23-2012, 05:25 PM
Yeah, once you get passed "making it yours" I don't spend much more then gas and oil on it.

Figure about $120 a weekend in gas, oil change, impeller, wash and wax and that's about it for the year.

H2OSKEE
03-23-2012, 05:32 PM
$500 a year for insurance, registration, trailer inspection, impellar, wax.... plus gas. Haven't spent much more than that on maintenance fortunately.

Kyle
03-23-2012, 05:32 PM
Dang I think if I added up all of my reciepts I think I spent 15k making it mine over 7 years plus the amount I paid for it. I'm ready to just use it and enjoy it. This year I've replaced 3 batteries, a starter, and had the side compartments reuphosteted bc coolers have worn them out. Do this year I have $1360 from january until now just in repairs. Last year with the new engine I think it was close to $3,500 before the boat even got wet.

I'm ready for normalcy.

1redTA
03-23-2012, 05:36 PM
if I keep a tally my wife may know the amount shhhh

Kyle
03-23-2012, 05:36 PM
I totally forgot about

Insurance
TX #'s
Trailer tags
Tires
Grease for wheels
Brakes
Master cylinder
Brake fluid

Damn the little things add up fast too. Geese. Who knows how much I have in this old boat. I'm guessing 25-30 grand. Damn

Lumbergh
03-23-2012, 05:42 PM
All motorized toys are expensive.

Want an expensive hobby? Try guns, watches or cars.

I would agree after getting past "making it yours" and ensuring you know the condition of everything inside and out, figure about $100-200/yr in basic maintenance (oil change / impeller / 2 x fuel filters / winterizing materials).

Taking it to a shop could be hazardous to your wallet.

I think getting started in boating is definitely expensive, start up costs like vests, skis, wake boards, tubes, boat supplies (ie lines, fenders, gas cans and the like).

CantRepeat
03-23-2012, 05:47 PM
Taking it to a shop could be hazardous to your wallet.

Ain't that the truth!

Kyle
03-23-2012, 05:50 PM
All motorized toys are expensive.

Want an expensive hobby? Try guns, watches or cars.

Yeah I know. My gf just bought a 2012 black on black camaro ss 6 speed with hurst shifter. She wants exhaust and cold air intake along with a custom tune for the ECM. I drove it 147 mph the other night and she was like holy sh!t that is fast. It stays in the garage and it's only driven on sunny weekends. Her LTZ hoe is her daily driver. We r talking about getting a house but I've come to the conclusion that we need land. We got to have a house big enough for our 3 vehicles and my boat plus enough room for a work area for me, plus room for our 5 dogs. I told her the rest of the house could be whatever she wants, preferably with a big kitchen and a 2 headed shower :D

JLowder
03-23-2012, 06:03 PM
You know the saying, right? "If it fly's, floats, or f***s, it's going to cost you a lot of money."
Besides, B.O.A.T. stand for "Bring Out Another Thousand"
Boats are terrible financial investments, but the best investment in your family. Stop calculating, and start enjoying. It will only make you depressed if you knew how much it really cost.

Lumbergh
03-23-2012, 06:48 PM
You know the saying, right? "If it fly's, floats, or f***s, it's going to cost you a lot of money."

"If it flys, floats, or f*cks, it's cheaper to rent."

AZX9
03-23-2012, 07:11 PM
The last time I got to thinking about how much the boat was costing me I sold it. I figured I was done for a long while until the kids where out of my hair. I went five whole months with more money than I knew what to pay off next. I actually started to lessen my debt instead of acumulate more. Now I own another one, just smaller and older. Dam kids are going to have to figure out how to pay for college themselves.

Footin
03-23-2012, 07:12 PM
How bout: if if floats, f***s or flies, its cheaper to rent than buy.

Footin
03-23-2012, 07:15 PM
I think you have to define maintanence. If you are putting in a larger cam or hopping up a motor I think you should expect to have more things go wrong in the future. I have a bone stock 350 tbi, it pulls my fat arse just fine and I change filters and fliuds each year and that is about it.

gweaver
03-23-2012, 07:36 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb here and be the guy who says quit trying so hard to make it yours.
I'm new to the boat scene- bought an 88 Prostar with trailer for $3500, but I figure between that and the required gear, some water toys and maintenance I couldn't do, I'm on the water for less than $6000, including licensing and tax.
At this point, I've got most of the bugs worked out (a few minor things to address) but I'm not worried about appearance. Yeah, the interior is worn, but the thing's 24 years old!! Throw a blanket or towels over the seats and I'm good to go. Maybe I'll do the interior in a couple of years, but I'm more interested in spending time with the family than dumping money I don't have in to the boat. It floats and it runs- I'm happy. The rest is trivial details. IMHO.
Ask yourself: Does it run? Does it pull people around? Does it do what it's supposed to do? Quit fooling around with it and run the darn thing!! You'll be a lot happier!

G

19_Skier
03-23-2012, 07:43 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb here and be the guy who says quit trying so hard to make it yours.
I'm new to the boat scene- bought an 88 Prostar with trailer for $3500, but I figure between that and the required gear, some water toys and maintenance I couldn't do, I'm on the water for less than $6000, including licensing and tax.
At this point, I've got most of the bugs worked out (a few minor things to address) but I'm not worried about appearance. Yeah, the interior is worn, but the thing's 24 years old!! Throw a blanket or towels over the seats and I'm good to go. I'm more interested in spending time with the family than dumping money I don't have in to the boat.
Ask yourself: Does it run? Does it pull people around? Does it do what it's supposed to do? Quit fooling around with it and run the darn thing!! You'll be a lot happier!

G

This would be great if 99% of those on here didn't have acute MCOCD!! :D:D

JimN
03-23-2012, 07:49 PM
What is the average cost of maintenance per year for you guys? Since buying my boat I've done nothing but drop thousands at it making it new, better, cooler. That being said I have never had a year yet that I haven't spent money that was just maintenance needs. Heck what do you guys think are the regular maintenance items are and what do you spend.

Ive done a complete rebuild it seems like on my boat. I think I have bought it and then bought it at least 1.5 more times with a new engine, tranny, stereo system, and upgrades.

Upgrades and mods aren't maintenance. Why did it need a new engine & tranny?

Kyle
03-23-2012, 07:55 PM
Upgrades and mods aren't maintenance. Why did it need a new engine & tranny?

I put A rod through my block. Tranny I rebuilt bc it pulls not go in gear forward or reverse. PO didn't replace tranny cooler and it had water in it probably for a long time. I got it flushed it and put new fluid in and it lasted 3 years then quit.

Who knows how much I have in ski gear so let's save that for a different thread....

Kyle
03-23-2012, 07:58 PM
The PO of my boat was 400# and never used it. I'm sure his maintenance was poorly kept. His fat family wore out the upholstery so I re did all of it.

barefoot
03-23-2012, 08:24 PM
Maintance on mine...knock on wood...hasn't been much. Aside from oil, tranny fluid, plugs, etc, i havent had to put big money into mine. Never been stranded. Never not started. Always puts a smile on my face!

Gas is something I'm always putting into it. I'm always stocking a cooler. But knowing I can spend the entire day on the water cheaper then going out makes it all worth it.

I know where you're coming from, Kyle. I has a vehicle that I emptied every pocket for. It sucked going broke just repairing the thing. I cut my losses. Its one of the better decisions I made.

JimN
03-23-2012, 08:46 PM
I put A rod through my block. Tranny I rebuilt bc it pulls not go in gear forward or reverse. PO didn't replace tranny cooler and it had water in it probably for a long time. I got it flushed it and put new fluid in and it lasted 3 years then quit.

Who knows how much I have in ski gear so let's save that for a different thread....

OK, so the PO may not have maintained it very well- if you were the original owner, I might see a reason to complain but when you buy used, you take the chance that you'll have problems.

d2jp
03-23-2012, 09:13 PM

mikeg205
03-23-2012, 10:13 PM
if I was't OCD nlt counting gas...$200./yr ...Impleller, oil, tranny oil, oil filter, wax, fuel treatment and plugs. Did not need the 1800 I spent on mini mini restoration. Could have spent another $200 on carpenting but bought a couple of wake sacks and a tsumani pump.. everything else is making it my own and as close to make it close to new. I could think of an additional $5-$7k to make it more like the 2010'+. Remember it's not how your spent your time its how you spend your time...even at $5 a gallon of gas...I won't be youthful enough for ever to wait to for the economy to drive gas price early. Don't have the means or connections to get a position to bu new so I am enjoying the snot of of the friends and their boats that I made on this sire.... and enjoying my boat.

Right now on orlanda hotel regretting not jumping in a cab to join arabaghi to wake in maitlan fla. can't wait to get to illinois to wake and ski in illinois...in the nect few days with my good friends on the wonderful waters of the Illinois and Desplaines...

DemolitionMan
03-23-2012, 10:15 PM
Yeah, once you get passed "making it yours" I don't spend much more then gas and oil on it.

Figure about $120 a weekend in gas, oil change, impeller, wash and wax and that's about it for the year.

Same here for me.

ahhudgins
03-23-2012, 10:21 PM
I think I got lucky when I bought my 95 Maristar 200VRS. The original owner put very few hours on it and the interior and the gel looked brand new. As long as I do proper winterization and some preventative maintenance, my boat expenses are minimal compared to what I spend on gas. The boat holds all the people that come to the lake and it pulls all the skiers I need it to. Iím even thinking about swapping the original cassette for a CD player this summer.:D

Sodar
03-24-2012, 01:15 AM
10% of the boats value has always been the rule of thumb for maintenance.

AZX9
03-24-2012, 01:28 AM
10% of the boats value has always been the rule of thumb for maintenance.

I'm not so sure of that. A new 2012 X45 is not going to need 9500 a year in maintenance. A 2000 dollar boat will need way more than 200 a year as well.

CantRepeat
03-24-2012, 07:30 AM
I'm not so sure of that. A new 2012 X45 is not going to need 9500 a year in maintenance. A 2000 dollar boat will need way more than 200 a year as well.

My 92 only needed oil, filter, impeller each year so about $60 or less on that one.

Rebuilding engines, replacing bent props, and adding stereo gear aren't really routine maintenance. They are more of the cost of ownership, I believe.

erkoehler
03-24-2012, 09:30 AM
10% is a good spot for ownership costs if a dealer is doing most service and you factor in some ownership expenses.

Sodar
03-24-2012, 09:32 AM
My 92 only needed oil, filter, impeller each year so about $60 or less on that one.

Rebuilding engines, replacing bent props, and adding stereo gear aren't really routine maintenance. They are more of the cost of ownership, I believe.

I guess this term would be more accurate.

AZX9, I'd be willing to wager that the number is closer to $9,000 than not. I know that here, just taxes, registration, insurance and storage would get you over half way to your $9,000 goal.

MariStar-Man
03-24-2012, 10:35 AM
Great thread,

I think that there are a few different type of cost's in owning a boat or any other vehicle, and I think it depends on a few factors. Bear with me for a few tics...

There will always be the minimal types of cost's like oil, filter's, maintenance etc...

Then, of course, there is personalization, and adding things each individual likes within a range of social acceptability. I mean, your not going to add Dingle Balls and a Pinata to your MC even if you like them. right? So you spend a couple Grand personalizing and making it, "Better." Who gives a $h!t, it's your money.

The theory that I'm currently contemplating is age. I think we all reach an age where our ideals change, and instead of adding all the "Stuff," we just want the nicest toy, in this case a MasterCraft, to just work simply and flawlessly.

My goal, after purchasing my Maristar V-210 was to return her to a condition that is Stock and within, "my" range of acceptability. This range varies drastically between us guys and also changes for each of us as we age. For me, it has to run flawlessly, and has to be totally dialed in. If it is not, I can't sleep or be happy until it's fixed. 19_Skier said it is MC OCD.

My last example is when I took my MC to the lake with file in hand, and dove underwater to file my rudder time after time, testing while in motion and filing at rest, shaving off slight amounts of material from the starbird side of my rudder until my MC tracked straight, and no longer pulled to the left.

For me, fixing this almost inperceptable pull was a requirement, but for my passengers, it was like, "There he goes again..."

LittleFuss
03-24-2012, 01:04 PM
I have had mine...2 summers, I have spent close to $4000 in needed parts and making it mine...However, it was in poor condition when I got it so I knew there were going to be costs like a new interior...given that fulfilling a childhood dream since I was 15 is not a cost I can't calculate in my head...

Regarding engines and tranny's...My engine has 1540 hours on the orginal engine, what are you guys doing to burn up your engine...we ski, and we ski hard...other than a raw water pump, oil, & gas, and an occassional starter (one that I messed up myself) I have not had to spend alot to keep her going until this year when a dueche bag mechanic took me for $600 for no work only to have to bring it to the dealer where it is now.....How common is it to replace an engine?

AZX9
03-24-2012, 01:19 PM
I guess this term would be more accurate.

AZX9, I'd be willing to wager that the number is closer to $9,000 than not. I know that here, just taxes, registration, insurance and storage would get you over half way to your $9,000 goal.

I guess the biggest issue here is what folks deem as maintenance. Taxes, storage, registration, insurance and the like are no where near maintenance. If fluids are the only maintenance then the cost is negligible. I guess I see it as anything you need to do to keep your ride up to the same level of performance as it was when you bought it or upgraded it. So if your amp goes out them replacing it would be maintenance but when you originally put it in would be an upgrade. The real question is what is the true cost of ownership and that will vary of course by individual taste, level of maintaining (as in some will maintain to levels as good as the day you bought it and others level will show wear), and other important to me issues.

Patrick Hardy
03-25-2012, 08:18 AM
The real question is what is the true cost of ownership and that will vary of course by individual taste, level of maintaining (as in some will maintain to levels as good as the day you bought it and others level will show wear), and other important to me issues.

+1 , IMO the TRUE cost is like most boats, the second you buy them, they are deteriorating and depreciating, so spend the money on your maintenance and go out and enjoy the cost as much as possible.

Patrick Hardy
03-25-2012, 08:22 AM
[QUOTE=Kyle;824806]I put A rod through my block. Tranny I rebuilt bc it pulls not go in gear forward or reverse. PO didn't replace Tranny cooler and it had water in it probably for a long time. I got it flushed it and put new fluid in and it lasted 3 years then quit.

Anyone have ideas on how long a Tranny cooler should last and or should be replaced? What are there life spans? What are the average signs that they need to to replaced?

medicmoose
03-25-2012, 08:40 AM
Then, of course, there is personalization, and adding things each individual likes within a range of social acceptability. I mean, your not going to add Dingle Balls and a Pinata to your MC even if you like them. right?

What do yo mean????? :D:D

CantRepeat
03-25-2012, 09:13 AM
I mean, your not going to add Dingle Balls and a Pinata to your MC even if you like them. right?

Only on the starbird side. :rolleyes:

psychobilly
03-25-2012, 09:42 AM
Hahaha I love this thread!!!! ;-)

I bought mine for a lil of nutn and I have been thrown money in her fer a couple of years now. Kyle, there's always sumn to make a lil better and somethings always gunna need replace'n. I feel ya brother, it ain't cheap if you have a bran newy or an older boat like ours.

I enjoy it all so most of the time it's a bonus. Hehehe