PDA

View Full Version : 1993 Mastercraft Prostar 190 25th Anniversary

Boilr
03-22-2012, 04:48 PM
I have a 1993 Mastercraft Prostar 190- 351 Indmar (Red, White and Blue) for sale. She has 402 hours on her. Velvet drive transmission. I am the second owner and have had her for 11 years. Garage kept in the winter and kept on a boat lift, covered with a conopy in the summer. The boat is very clean with no rips or tears in the seats and comes with a spare 3 blade prop, 2 Mastercraft road covers and the Mastercraft white trailer. I have all the manuals and she can be put in the water in less than 10 minutes for a test drive. Feel free to contact me with any questions. $11,500
douglas_whitham@yahoo.com

Boilr
03-22-2012, 04:55 PM
How do you post an ad in Marketplace?

snork
03-22-2012, 05:27 PM
One last bit of details. Price?

east tx skier
03-22-2012, 05:37 PM
Welcome! Nice boat. My favorite color combination of that era.

Just FYI though, all 1993 Pro Stars had the "25 Years of Excellence" designation. There was an "Anniversary" boat that year called the 190 Ltd. 25 were produced, each one in Silverflake with an LT1.

Good luck with your sale!

Boilr
03-23-2012, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the information. I appreciate the expertise.

Boilr
03-23-2012, 04:14 PM
That is a sincere thank you...no sarcasm. I am learning alot from the other members.

Jerseydave
03-23-2012, 10:21 PM
Very nice prostar! Low hours too, will make an excellent boat for someone.
Is it a powerslot? Slalom skiers will want to know that.

GL with the sale.

Boilr
03-24-2012, 03:19 PM
Thanks TT Hero. She is a Velvet Drive... (I think that is a 1:1) according to the manual.

Boilr
03-25-2012, 08:26 PM
Took the first pull of the year today...I'll probably need the Aleve tomorrow. Anyone have some good exercises to help make the firstfew pulls a little easier on the old body?

snork
03-25-2012, 08:57 PM
Yeah, try wakeboard'n little less resistance when your inverted in the air

east tx skier
03-25-2012, 09:56 PM
That is a sincere thank you...no sarcasm. I am learning alot from the other members.

Appreciate it. I had hoped you wouldn't think i was trying to rain on your parade. You have a beautiful boat there!

Boilr
03-26-2012, 12:30 PM
The one thing I have learned on this amazing site is that even though I have owned and loved my Prostar for 11 years, I have alot to learn. The members of this site are by for the most knowledgeable Mastercraft enthusiasts I have encountered. (the humor is pretty great as well!!)

mayo93prostar
03-26-2012, 01:15 PM
I think the powerslot is also a velvet drive. I believe the 1:1 and powerslot trannys are both made by borg warner in that year. You should look on the ID plate on top of the tranny by the dipstick and it will indicate the gear ratio. Also, why are you selling it?

Boilr
03-26-2012, 03:55 PM
The identification tags says Model 10-17-004 with the 1:1 ratio. The owners manual and ID tag say Velvet Drive...so I'm going to say she is not a power slot. I'm selling because my L4 and L5 vert are getting worse with every year. I'm going to continue to ski, but very limited. This 93 makes me want to ski hard and ski all the time. When I ski behind my friends Response, I don't pull as hard.

Jerseydave
03-26-2012, 06:56 PM
Banana George Blair had back problems in his 40's so he learned how to barefoot as part of his "therapy". :D

Maybe you just need to slalom less and start barefooting? ;)

Check your prop size stamped on the hub......13 X 13 is for a direct drive, 14 X 18 is for a powerslot.

Cloaked
03-26-2012, 10:22 PM
.......... I'm going to continue to ski, but very limited. This 93 makes me want to ski hard and ski all the time. When I ski behind my friends Response, I don't pull as hard.One thing (far-fetched) that comes to mind is that your working harder behind the 190 than the Response. Check your speed to see if the 190 is pulling correctly or if the Response is pulling you hot. Hard work usually indicates lagging in the water for one reason or another. Wake characteristics will also make for a hard pull when comparing. Technique will suffer with different wakes to navigate when on edge(s).

The 190 is typically considered an adequate tow boat, however in my younger days of skiing, I have seen (or more-so heard) Kris LaPoint pull a MC down like it had an outboard on it at 28 off for a warm-up pass... thus the R&D soon after those years, for the Powerslot (then to come).

Boilr
03-26-2012, 10:35 PM
I've taken a few passes on my feet...always seem to end up with my eyelids peeled back over my forehead (just can't hold onto a boom). She has a 13x13 prop. Thank you so much for the help.

Cloaked
03-26-2012, 10:44 PM
I've taken a few passes on my feet...always seem to end up with my eyelids peeled back over my forehead (just can't hold onto a boom). She has a 13x13 prop. Thank you so much for the help.Feet further out front. Bend knees more, feet will move forward. No more face plants.

Boilr
03-27-2012, 08:08 PM
Any tips on getting a better grip? (still on the boom) I seem to concentrate so much on the feet and knees that I don't realize my grip is slippping...then the plant!

Cloaked
03-27-2012, 08:46 PM
Any tips on getting a better grip? (still on the boom) I seem to concentrate so much on the feet and knees that I don't realize my grip is slippping...then the plant!
Go to a short rope with a handle. Or better yet, just go long line behind the boat... forget the boom...

Gloves will help. Or a new extension piece that will have a new knurled surface.

A rule of thumb in trick skiing.. if you look down, you go down. Don't look down at your feet. :D

mikeg205
03-27-2012, 09:16 PM
Took the first pull of the year today...I'll probably need the Aleve tomorrow. Anyone have some good exercises to help make the firstfew pulls a little easier on the old body?

Exercises that strengthen your core...pilates, rowing etc. - cycling for legs along with weight training...a dynaflex ball to strengthen your grip and forearm...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000W1A83G/ref=asc_df_B000W1A83G1954187?smid=A2GCZA90HY2BIS&tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395129&creativeASIN=B000W1A83G&hvpos=none&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9890254051518259637&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=

Also, slow and go on the deep water start - stopped and a hole shot - "hit it" tires you out... at least that works for this 52 year old body...feel better now than I did when I was 40.

mikeg205
03-27-2012, 09:17 PM

Exercises that strengthen your core...pilates, rowing etc. - cycling for legs along with weight training...a dynaflex ball to strengthen your grip and forearm...

Also, slow and go on the deep water start - stopped and a hole shot - "hit it" tires you out... at least that works for this 52 year old body...feel better now than I did when I was 40.

DooSPX
03-28-2012, 01:23 PM
One thing (far-fetched) that comes to mind is that your working harder behind the 190 than the Response. Check your speed to see if the 190 is pulling correctly or if the Response is pulling you hot. Hard work usually indicates lagging in the water for one reason or another. Wake characteristics will also make for a hard pull when comparing. Technique will suffer with different wakes to navigate when on edge(s).

The 190 is typically considered an adequate tow boat, however in my younger days of skiing, I have seen (or more-so heard) Kris LaPoint pull a MC down like it had an outboard on it at 28 off for a warm-up pass... thus the R&D soon after those years, for the Powerslot (then to come).

I believe you are referring to the redesigned hull in 91 when they only had the 240hp 351W. The 91 w/ the 1:1 DID pass as I recall looking at the AWSA reports, but barely. It did fine with the 240hp 1.52:1 Powerslot though. Appeared to score about the same as the 285hp 1:1 offered in 92. The extra wetted surface area on the new hull paired with the 240hp and 1:1 need the extra pull to maintain speed and tracking of the 1.52:1.
After the 240hp 1:1, the PS190 was once again king of the tow boats. No boats of that era could touch the wake and pull of the PS190.

To refer to the 190 as a "adequate" tow boat is a little on the off side of the truth. Also the same Powerslot 1.52:1 transmission has been offered in the MC since 1980 I believe, there was no R&D involved to add the Powerslot to the hull as it was always available. Though, even a 1:1 paired with the 240hp 351W in past hulls was always a boat to be reckoned with. The problem arouse in 1991 with the new hull, it was the first time that a 1:1 with the 240hp 351W had issues with passing the AWSA approved list. As I stated above, I believe it did pass, but just barely.

The 91-94 Prostar 190 is still considered by skiers to be the best wake of any prostar, but suffered from chin spray once you got into the deep 30's off.

east tx skier
03-28-2012, 02:49 PM
It was approved with the 1:1 in 1991.

DooSPX
03-28-2012, 02:55 PM
It was approved with the 1:1 in 1991.

Thanks Doug! :D I thought it was, but could not find my records of the list! :rolleyes:

My other statements are correct right?

Boilr
03-28-2012, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the tips. I've also been on a pretty harsh diet to get me back to fighting weight. I'll also look into the exercise. Thank you!

Boilr
03-28-2012, 03:02 PM
Lets put it this way, when my friends and I go slalom skiing... the 05 Nautique, the 99 Sammy Duval and the 09 Response sit on the lifts. Everyone loves to slalom behind the 93.

DooSPX
03-28-2012, 03:29 PM
I bet they do! I hate to see you get rid of her! You have one of the best!

Iskidaily
03-28-2012, 03:53 PM
Lets put it this way, when my friends and I go slalom skiing... the 05 Nautique, the 99 Sammy Duval and the 09 Response sit on the lifts. Everyone loves to slalom behind the 93. I want to ski behind the '93 too! Great boat. Great Hull. Don't sell!

Cloaked
03-28-2012, 08:27 PM
I believe you are referring to the redesigned hull in 91 No Sir. I'm talking about 1976-78. Has nothing to do with internet copy and paste info. I've seen most all of the (then young) professionals work a boat to the core of its ability all the while, the only way it produce results for the skier (a slow pass requires a repull, and a world record is not what anyone wants a slow pass) was the driver's skills. It's something you have to see and hear to realize how far the Skier 19 / 190 series has progressed. Drivers like Jack Walker were skillful and were a vital part of a skier's success in torunament skiing. No one wanted a rookie driver. Adequate is an accurate description relative to the variables that come into play. This 190 does what it was made to do under conditions relevant to performance and ever-changing conditions. Anything more than adequate would be my opinion of spitting out 100 dollar bills at my command. It's a machine with limitations, everything relative to other machines.

That hull era also was considered a variable planing hull to accommodate slalom wakes, jump wakes (for the double-cut setup) and tricking for crisp wakes to get height on either a hand pass or a toe pass.

Thus my amazement of a wake tower on a 190 or a skier 19. That hull was not designed to produce wakes, actually quite the opposite. Even to sink a boat with a bucket of water is far from effective on that hull. It's the same shallow and wide draft regardless. But it's each to their own. Just an observation and my $0.02.

DooSPX
03-28-2012, 08:43 PM
No Sir. I'm talking about 1976-78. Has nothing to do with internet copy and paste info. I've seen most all of the (then young) professionals work a boat to the core of its ability all the while, the only way it produce results for the skier (a slow pass requires a repull, and a world record is not what anyone wants a slow pass) was the driver's skills. It's something you have to see and hear to realize how far the Skier 19 / 190 series has progressed. Drivers like Jack Walker were skillful and were a vital part of a skier's success in torunament skiing. No one wanted a rookie driver. Adequate is an accurate description relative to the variables that come into play. This 190 does what it was made to do under conditions relevant to performance and ever-changing conditions. Anything more than adequate would be my opinion of spitting out 100 dollar bills at my command. It's a machine with limitations, everything relative to other machines.

That hull era also was considered a variable planing hull to accommodate slalom wakes, jump wakes (for the double-cut setup) and tricking for crisp wakes to get height on either a hand pass or a toe pass.

Thus my amazement of a wake tower on a 190 or a skier 19. That hull was not designed to produce wakes, actually quite the opposite. Even to sink a boat with a sac of water is far from effective on that hull. It's the same shallow and wide draft regardless. But it's each to their own. Just an observation and my $0.02.

Oh got you, I really do not know much about the pre-80 boats! Thank you for the little MC history lesson! :) Great info! I also agree 100% about towers on 190's w/ people trying to get wakes from the boat!

east tx skier
03-28-2012, 09:17 PM
Thanks Doug! :D I thought it was, but could not find my records of the list! :rolleyes:

My other statements are correct right?

Well, I figured I owed it to you since I was the promulgator of the incorrect fact that it wasn't in 91. I finally emailed AWSA and got the facts a year or so ago.

As for the rest, the Powerslot hasn't "always" been offered. It showed up in the early 80s as a transmission option (the term, "slot," refers to the cutout that was put on boats that had the transmission in the early days and eventually made it into all the hulls regardless of transmission offered) and was offered until a few years ago until it was relegated to jump boats. Not sure if it is still offered. Current gear reduction is 1.26:1 if I recall correctly.

I have no information to suggest that the 91 190 only barely passed testing with the 1:1. They are great boats, and do not need a ton of power to ski well.

As for how it is regarded, you are correct that it is considered among the best hulls MC has ever built. However, a 2005 SN (mentioned by the OP) is also a superb boat (as long as you're not a trick skier) as is a post 98 Malibu (also mentioned by the OP) (though the tracking suffers compared to the SN). I would never turn down a pull from an early 90s Pro Star. But I'm unlikely to turn down a pull behind anything. :)

The 91--94 Pro Star 190 is not a boat I would consider selling if I already owned one. When I was shopping to replace my 93 205, I had 4 boats on my short list. In no particular order, they were (1) 1993 190 Limited, (2) Bret's 1994 Pro Star 190, (3) a Red 1993 Stars & Stripes 190, and (4) a Red and White 1998 Ski Nautique (really 1997 and forward would have been fine in the right color combo). I chose the latter and have no complaints and will probably have the boat until I'm old and gray. Given that it only has 260 hours on it. I may have it longer than that. It is a superb boat.

DooSPX
03-28-2012, 10:34 PM
Well, I figured I owed it to you since I was the promulgator of the incorrect fact that it wasn't in 91. I finally emailed AWSA and got the facts a year or so ago.

As for the rest, the Powerslot hasn't "always" been offered. It showed up in the early 80s as a transmission option (the term, "slot," refers to the cutout that was put on boats that had the transmission in the early days and eventually made it into all the hulls regardless of transmission offered) and was offered until a few years ago until it was relegated to jump boats. Not sure if it is still offered. Current gear reduction is 1.26:1 if I recall correctly.

I have no information to suggest that the 91 190 only barely passed testing with the 1:1. They are great boats, and do not need a ton of power to ski well.

As for how it is regarded, you are correct that it is considered among the best hulls MC has ever built. However, a 2005 SN (mentioned by the OP) is also a superb boat (as long as you're not a trick skier) as is a post 98 Malibu (also mentioned by the OP) (though the tracking suffers compared to the SN). I would never turn down a pull from an early 90s Pro Star. But I'm unlikely to turn down a pull behind anything. :)

The 91--94 Pro Star 190 is not a boat I would consider selling if I already owned one. When I was shopping to replace my 93 205, I had 4 boats on my short list. In no particular order, they were (1) 1993 190 Limited, (2) Bret's 1994 Pro Star 190, (3) a Red 1993 Stars & Stripes 190, and (4) a Red and White 1998 Ski Nautique (really 1997 and forward would have been fine in the right color combo). I chose the latter and have no complaints and will probably have the boat until I'm old and gray. Given that it only has 260 hours on it. I may have it longer than that. It is a superb boat.

I mentioned the powerslot 1.52:1 showed up in 1980. The 1.52 is not offered anymore, it was replaced with the 1.26:1. I wish I had a chance to ski behind a nice TSC (?) hull CC. I heard they are great slalom boats, and your pictures look great! I have skied a 00 Bu Response and I think my boat is better in every way to the skier and driver. I'm not 38 off so I do not have to worry about no stinkin spray! 8p
I do remember your list! I envy it! :D
I to, will never part with my 91. I love it!
little side bar, I saw a new MC which I have never seen on our lake today, a 2002 to 2007 PS197, I am looking forward with meeting up with him soon.

P.S. sorry to jack your thread OP. Moral of the story, DO NOT SELL YOUR BOAT! :D

93Prostar190
03-29-2012, 01:35 AM
Just like our old boat, we had the power slot .... Either way ......sweet ride, I don't thnk there is a better pure slalom boat.

SkiDog
03-29-2012, 08:55 AM
Oh got you, I really do not know much about the pre-80 boats! Thank you for the little MC history lesson! :) Great info! I also agree 100% about towers on 190's w/ people trying to get wakes from the boat!

I didn't put the tower on my 190, BUT, I'm glad its there. I ride a hydrofoil and don't really care for BIG wakes, as I'm somewhat of a novice, but the tower sure helps towing with an elevated line.

DooSPX
03-29-2012, 09:33 AM
I didn't put the tower on my 190, BUT, I'm glad its there. I ride a hydrofoil and don't really care for BIG wakes, as I'm somewhat of a novice, but the tower sure helps towing with an elevated line.

No doubt about that Eddie, I know you skyski, and do not need big wakes, plus you can get ski racks for it. If I ever decide, I would put only a mini on my 190 just so I can get the ski's out of the dam boat!

mikeg205
03-29-2012, 10:06 AM
No doubt about that Eddie, I know you skyski, and do not need big wakes, plus you can get ski racks for it. If I ever decide, I would put only a mini on my 190 just so I can get the ski's out of the dam boat!

+1 - The tower a great place to open up floor space...

east tx skier
03-29-2012, 10:43 AM
I mentioned the powerslot 1.52:1 showed up in 1980. The 1.52 is not offered anymore, it was replaced with the 1.26:1. I wish I had a chance to ski behind a nice TSC (?) hull CC. I heard they are great slalom boats, and your pictures look great! I have skied a 00 Bu Response and I think my boat is better in every way to the skier and driver. I'm not 38 off so I do not have to worry about no stinkin spray! 8p
I do remember your list! I envy it! :D
I to, will never part with my 91. I love it!
little side bar, I saw a new MC which I have never seen on our lake today, a 2002 to 2007 PS197, I am looking forward with meeting up with him soon.

P.S. sorry to jack your thread OP. Moral of the story, DO NOT SELL YOUR BOAT! :D

The 1.52 and 1.26 coexisted for a while with the 1.52 used with the big block engines for jump. Last time I checked, MC was using a 1.22, 1.25 and a 1.26 transmission in varying combinations depending on the engine with the smaller engines getting more gear reduction. On this year's list, there is no MC approved with a 1:1.

CC has used a 1.23:1 transmission as standard equipment on all of its boats since the early 90s or so. Full throttle on my 98 with the multiport injected GT40 will take the rope out of your hands every time. I've only had someone make that mistake once (I forgot to tell him to take it easy).

Boilr
03-29-2012, 03:50 PM
I hate to sell her, but I am hoping another MC enthusiast can enjoy her as much as I have.

Boilr
03-29-2012, 09:26 PM
I had someone ask me about the folding tongue for a MC trailer. When did the folding tongue become available for MC?

east tx skier
03-29-2012, 10:24 PM
Probably the early 2000s. Maybe 2002? Some people have retrofitted older trailers though.

Boilr
03-30-2012, 08:39 AM
Does anyone have any information on doing a retrofit? Better yet, has anyone done a retrofit to an older trailer?

east tx skier
03-30-2012, 09:48 AM
Here you go.

Link (http://www.pacifictrailers.com/swing-away-trailer-tongue-kits-pivot-hitch-kits-fulton-fold-away-hinge-kits/)

Boilr
03-30-2012, 06:58 PM
Thanks for the link.

Boilr
04-03-2012, 07:26 PM
How often/ how many hours do you usually run before changing the impeller?

east tx skier
04-03-2012, 07:48 PM
Seasonally, each spring. I put between 20--40 hours per year depending on the year.

Boilr
04-04-2012, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the feedback. That is basically the schedule I have been changing it, but I wasn't sure if I was over doing it. Thanks.