PDA

View Full Version : Is an EQ necessary with the 2012 Big System?

501s
03-22-2012, 04:48 PM
Hi All. On my old boat (Moomba XLV) I had a Wetsounds WS-420 EQ to control the boat and tower speakers seperatly. I have a X-30 on order, does anyone know what the control is like with the 2012 Big system? Is an EQ necessary or does the BIG give you complete control of these things (Tower/In Boat/Sub)? The Mic is another nice feature on the eq's too.

CantRepeat
03-22-2012, 04:53 PM
I'll assume the new system does not have a mic, but I don't know if there are seperate controls for the tower and cockpit speakers.

Alan-S
03-22-2012, 06:46 PM
The newest head units that are coming in the 2012's do give you separate control of the tower speakers and sub woofer.

Heelgrad
03-22-2012, 06:53 PM
The newest head units that are coming in the 2012's do give you separate control of the tower speakers and sub woofer.

I didn't know that but am glad to hear you can control these separately for when my wife complains the bass is too high...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

rgardjr1
03-22-2012, 07:53 PM

Is this accessed through the BIG or at the head unit? It's nice to be able to have full control over the music from the drivers seat and not have to navigate through a ton of screens to do it.

Alan-S
03-22-2012, 08:27 PM
It is accessed through the head unit, not the BIG.

501s
03-22-2012, 11:44 PM
Hmm, that is a pain in the butt to have to go across the boat to the Head Unit just to change the volume of the tower seperate from the cabin speakers. So I wonder how an EQ could fit into the equation.

So I guess the signals would go: Big into head unit into EQ into amps? That would mean a lot of RCA's since the amps are on the opposite side of the boat from where the EQ would go.

AZX9
03-23-2012, 12:24 AM
It very well could be wired where the towers are the "rear" fade and the boat is the "front" fade. Does it have three amps? The pre outs are typically front and rear fade and the third is sub. Maybe the remote has fade control and you can change volume somewhat like that.

firstMCsoon
03-23-2012, 12:33 AM
It very well could be wired where the towers are the "rear" fade and the boat is the "front" fade. Does it have three amps? The pre outs are typically front and rear fade and the third is sub. Maybe the remote has fade control and you can change volume somewhat like that.
how well does the fade option work? can you pretty much turn in boat off?

thanks,

501s
03-23-2012, 12:44 AM
Fade will go from front to the rear. So if you make the tower "rear" and cabin speakers "front" you could fade between them I guess. On the Wetsounds WS420 EQ it is so easy to adjust volume for any zone. See attached picture.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=32565&stc=1&d=1205868529

firstMCsoon
03-23-2012, 12:56 AM
Fade will go from front to the rear. So if you make the tower "rear" and cabin speakers "front" you could fade between them I guess. On the Wetsounds WS420 EQ it is so easy to adjust volume for any zone. See attached picture.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=32565&stc=1&d=1205868529
I definitely like what the 420 brings to the table -- struggling with mounting position and will I really make that many adjustments or just turn down cabin spkrs while rider listens to tower...

Thanks,

rgardjr1
03-23-2012, 01:23 AM
I definitely like what the 420 brings to the table -- struggling with mounting position and will I really make that many adjustments or just turn down cabin spkrs while rider listens to tower...

Thanks,

Here is a link to some pictures of where I put mine (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=675177&postcount=11) If you're putting HLCDs on the tower the EQ is nice.

501s
03-23-2012, 06:02 PM
I added one onto my last boat and it was the best 200$ I spent. You can Adjust the volume and sound of the cabin speakers separate from the towers and you can adjust the sub volume, crossover point and bass boost too. As well it has an iPod input and a talk back mic to talk to riders (or to yell at stupid sea-dooers jump the wake behind the boat). To be honest we used it each and every day we rode. I was hoping the BIG would have these same features, minus the mic. I am going to try and find a way to install one in my 30. It will be interesting making it look good.

Millertime
03-23-2012, 09:36 PM
Do you need to have a separate amps for tower speakers and cabin speakers in order to adjust the volume?

501s
03-24-2012, 03:20 AM
Yes, or at least a 4 channel amp.

EarmarkMarine
03-24-2012, 11:54 AM
Any source unit with triple preouts will automatically give you independent control over in-boat (front), tower (rear) and sub. The question is....Are the HU controls in a location where access is immediate and convenient for the driver? If the HU is not at your fingertips then usually you would add something in the way of a zone controller/line driver or an EQ which does the same with more features.

David

wrobins1
03-24-2012, 12:19 PM
Check this thread out....

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=46302&highlight=krypt