PDA

View Full Version : WI waterskiing, March 21

Finnsdad
03-22-2012, 10:36 AM
Thanks to record warm temps, we went from ice fishing to 54* water in 2 weeks. Went out skiing last night, chilly but still fun! Here are some pics... check out that flat wake!

Dues it seem like my ski is riding too much out of the water in my turn?

epnault
03-22-2012, 10:46 AM
Wow-you are a brave man. A guy in my office went out on 3/18 but they were wearing dry suits. Just curious, what was the actual water temp yesterday and where are you at in Wisconsin.

Finnsdad
03-22-2012, 10:51 AM
Wausau, WI... water temp was 54, air temp 72

BrooksfamX2
03-22-2012, 10:59 AM
:headbang:

:worthy:

jk13
03-22-2012, 11:07 AM
Ahh...the coffee colored waters of Lake Wausau. You are a brave man.

Also, he's not joking--I had a customer that was still ice fishing last Monday and Tuesday on that lake. I'll give it another couple weeks before venturing out there. The boat landings don't even have docks in yet.

54 degrees already? That was quick.

pmkkdx
03-22-2012, 11:33 AM

yes, a bit ... bend knees more and pull to your hip will transfer weight farther forward to keep the tip lower.

:worthy: for your skiing in 54 degree water without a drysuit!!! thanks for the pictures!!!

BrianT
03-22-2012, 11:37 AM
Wow!! brave man with no wet suit!! At least your out ridin this early.

thatsmrmastercraft
03-22-2012, 11:46 AM
Very impressive:toast:

epnault
03-22-2012, 12:22 PM
Well that gives me hope that memorial day water temps this year in northern WI will be higher than 62 like last year.

jk13
03-22-2012, 12:26 PM
Well that gives me hope that memorial day water temps this year in northern WI will be higher than 62 like last year.

Ice went off of my parent's lake in Hazelhurst (new record for earliest ever) and Lake Minocqua this week. As long as temps stay warm it should be a much nicer holiday for boating than last year.

We will have to pay for these record temps sometime though. My bet is sooner rather than later.

neil.anderson63
03-22-2012, 12:54 PM
Looking tuff!!! We plan on breaking the seal March 31 at Tablerock. I see that your rope has some slack in it. Start your turn while you still have speed from the cut across. Visualize pushing your hips through while you are turning (you are breaking at the waist) and look towards the point where you will start the next turn - Like spotting your next bouy. This will help you finish your turns stronger. Something that helped me - " always keep your ski on an edge"

snork
03-22-2012, 12:54 PM
Ice went off of my parent's lake in Hazelhurst (new record for earliest ever) and Lake Minocqua this week. As long as temps stay warm it should be a much nicer holiday for boating than last year.

We will have to pay for these record temps sometime though. My bet is sooner rather than later.

Your payback will be in a form of Weeds, Mosquitos, Deerflies and Horseflies

jamisonsbrodie
03-22-2012, 10:13 PM
Our ice went out on sunday. Hope to ski this weekend.

Fwiw, you should lose the first 15 feet of your rope.

Lars
03-22-2012, 11:58 PM
bah! so jealous! got my lift in yesterday, hopefully going for a set tomorrow B-)

19_Skier
03-23-2012, 07:58 AM

blackflies and mosquitos are already showing up around here :(

No Skeez
03-23-2012, 08:06 AM
Here's two from last night of my friend slaloming and me barefooting. This was on Nagawicka Lake, near Hartland, WI. We got out on the 15th for our first run with air temp of 79 and water temp of 44 on the surface. Last night the air temp was 72 and the water temp on the surface was reading 58. It was actually surprisingly comfortable, but we all still wore drysuits. It's going to be a great (and early) summer if the temps stay warm enough to keep the water temp up.

barefoot
03-23-2012, 08:56 AM
This has been incredible weather for Wisconsin. I've been chomping at the bit to get out. I put the boat in on Sunday, but father-in-law has been working so I haven't had a ski buddy. We are planning on skiing tomorrow morning.

Finnsdad...I'll definitely have my dry suit on! I would like to have more kids...

Hanse1
03-23-2012, 12:37 PM
I cant wait to get out and ski in Tomahawk, but have another hockey tournament this weekend. Will be out next weekend for sure.

ctjahn
03-23-2012, 01:31 PM
I cant wait to get out and ski in Tomahawk, but have another hockey tournament this weekend. Will be out next weekend for sure.

Ditto. Hopefully the weather cooperates this year. (1 wk august, 1 wk june)

cj

jk13
03-23-2012, 04:21 PM

Flies and bees already out. Hopefully it'll stay warm for a bit to hatch them all, then three or four days below freezing to kill them off.:D

barefoot
03-23-2012, 08:40 PM
Ps, no skeez, nice one foot!

JohnnyB
03-24-2012, 08:31 AM
My buddies were out on Wednesday but work got in the way for me......they were even nice enough to call and gloat :banghead:

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

starman205
03-24-2012, 07:23 PM
Thread jack from Minnesota :D Season opened today on Lake Wilhelm near Hanover, MN

barefoot
03-25-2012, 10:11 AM
Went out yesterday morning. Water wasn't as cold as I was expecting. We did a few footing runs and finished off with some skiing. No other boats on the lake, piers weren't in, beautiful flat black water...couldn't have asked for anything more for the first runs of 2012!

Plymouth Family Guy
03-25-2012, 12:27 PM
Saturday, March 24, in the Western suburbs of Minneapolis. My buddy and I can not recall ever skiing in Minnesota in March. Other than two fishing boats taking a couple of laps around the lake we had the lake to ourselves. A couple pictures to prove it. The first picture is me, second is Scott showing the date of March 24 and the third is Scott in action. A great start to the season.

Brian

skibrain
03-26-2012, 12:05 AM
We were on Bryant Lake in Eden Prairie on Saturday. Early season PR by a couple of week for us.
My hands didn't even get cold. Crazy.

fskof
03-26-2012, 11:47 AM
Here's two from last night of my friend slaloming and me barefooting. This was on Nagawicka Lake, near Hartland, WI. We got out on the 15th for our first run with air temp of 79 and water temp of 44 on the surface. Last night the air temp was 72 and the water temp on the surface was reading 58. It was actually surprisingly comfortable, but we all still wore drysuits. It's going to be a great (and early) summer if the temps stay warm enough to keep the water temp up.

I was out on Lake Nagawicka on Sunday March 18. Water was cold but It was nice to see a calm lake without all of the summer jet ski's and tubers

Lars
03-27-2012, 01:36 PM
Saturday, March 24, in the Western suburbs of Minneapolis. My buddy and I can not recall ever skiing in Minnesota in March. Other than two fishing boats taking a couple of laps around the lake we had the lake to ourselves. A couple pictures to prove it. The first picture is me, second is Scott showing the date of March 24 and the third is Scott in action. A great start to the season.

Brian

What lake were you on? we're out in chan.

myze
03-27-2012, 02:43 PM
Are you running the full line line length? I would suggest 15' off, to get the flatter part of the wake. With the flatter wake it'll be easier to maintain a better body position as you cross the wakes, try to pull the handle all the way to your hip. Very impressed you are braving the elements!

Plymouth Family Guy
03-28-2012, 02:01 PM
What lake were you on? we're out in chan.

Long Lake. Had the place to ourselves. Are you on Lotus?

daverbeck
04-05-2012, 08:19 PM
We were out on Lac LaBelle in Oconomowoc WI that same weekend. Had on a dry suit and was too HOT. First time I skied in WI before May.

tdjaster
04-20-2012, 09:05 PM
Wausau is my hometown but San Antonio, TX has been home for almost 9 years now. I will admit I've become a weather snob. Much respect to all of you kicking it in your drysuits. I remember wearing a wetsuit down here once...I think it was January. If you're in Minocqua make sure you go to Island City Ice Cream (old DQ), that's my parents' place. I'll be there sometime in July.

BARE5
04-21-2012, 12:44 AM
We were skiin on whitewater lake since March 17th. Now it 38here but maybe tomorrow.

mikeg205
04-21-2012, 12:49 AM
I skied in march 3 times...and nothing since then....yuck...no weather until may early..then I am in Phoenix for a week....hopefully weather will break.

fskof
03-16-2013, 04:01 PM

Last year (2012) We were watersking this time of year....Doesnt look anyone will be watersking this year any time soon :cry:

mikeg205
03-16-2013, 04:46 PM
Last year (2012) We were watersking this time of year....Doesnt look anyone will be watersking this year any time soon :cry:

I'm with ya... weeping...,

barefoot
03-16-2013, 09:54 PM
True that...

We were just talking about how unseasonably warm it was last year. It's hard to imagine that a year ago, I had my boat out...and the lake was thawed...and I was skiing! Looking at the lake today, there's a bunch of ice fishermen, snowmobiles, and ATV's running around. Don't think we'll see that kind of weather for a really, really, really long time..

epnault
03-17-2013, 10:33 AM
Reviving this thread makes me sick

thatsmrmastercraft
03-17-2013, 11:12 AM
Woke up this morning to 5 degrees...........78 degrees colder than the high here last year.

StudLEE
03-18-2013, 10:04 AM
We're looking at another couple inches of snow here in central Wisconsin today.. The way were going, it'll be July before we're getting wet.. I'm taking full advantage of the first possible sunburn!!!

TxsRiverRat
03-18-2013, 12:43 PM
Thanks to record warm temps, we went from ice fishing to 54* water in 2 weeks. Went out skiing last night, chilly but still fun! Here are some pics... check out that flat wake!

Pic 1: You've let off the pull in the worst possible place - behind the boat. This is going to cost you a disastrous OTF faceplant or injury. Hold your pull through the whole wake, then switch edges for the preturn.

Also in Pic 1: Point your right shoulder towards the boat, not int he direction you want to travel. Closed shoulders will get you nowhere.

Pic 3: your arms are bent - need to straighten them out. Your pull is coming from your arms. not the core. Straightening your arms will help.