PDA

View Full Version : Do you keep your boards/skis in racks when you tow?

holdenh2o
03-22-2012, 07:32 AM
Or do you remove them?

Talking highway speeds for some distance.

For clarification: I have a bet as to what most people do.

JohnnyB
03-22-2012, 07:44 AM
Only when I go footin'

Seriously, no I take skis out of racks....

65 to 70 mph on the highway seems like you are asking for trouble. Especially if you are on two lane with a large semi passing the opposite direction at the same speed

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

willyt
03-22-2012, 07:46 AM
:popcorn:Hahahahaha

CantRepeat
03-22-2012, 07:52 AM
Read the safety warnings on the tower. No I do not tow the boat with gear in the racks.

bturner2
03-22-2012, 08:12 AM
Tow on the road with boards or skis in the racks and your asking for at a minimum to loose your gear (if you're lucky). You'll likely cause an accident or worse when one of them comes out and hits a person or car traveling at speed.

This is your basic Forrest Gump material.

FourFourty
03-22-2012, 09:41 AM
I will be leaving my boards on the racks from now on...... Seriously.

But that is because I have a power tower now, and the cover on my new X25 covers the whole boat, tower included...... I always trailer with the cover on. Otherwise my front seats, tower, and windsheild end up covered with bugs....:D

Towing with the boards up in the wind is a very big no-no!!

tex
03-22-2012, 09:48 AM
All it takes is once!

snork
03-22-2012, 10:06 AM
I will be leaving my boards on the racks from now on...... Seriously.

But that is because I have a power tower now, and the cover on my new X25 covers the whole boat, tower included...... I always trailer with the cover on. Otherwise my front seats, tower, and windsheild end up covered with bugs....:D

Towing with the boards up in the wind is a very big no-no!!

I want a Power Tower!!!!

BrooksfamX2
03-22-2012, 10:38 AM
Out of racks..........

kingwoodlee
03-22-2012, 10:40 AM
That's how my 13year old son got his first wakeboard. On the way to the store, he found it on the side of the road where it had apparently fallen off someone's boat rack. This became a teachable moment for my wife as he really wanted to keep it. She made him prop it up against a barbed wire fence beside the highway (this IS Texas!) knowing the owners would probably come back for it. Two days later, while going back to the store, it was still there, so my wife let him keep it. I guess the logic is that it went to a good home and maybe the original owners learned a valuable lesson.

CantRepeat
03-22-2012, 10:54 AM
That's how my 13year old son got his first wakeboard. On the way to the store, he found it on the side of the road where it had apparently fallen off someone's boat rack. This became a teachable moment for my wife as he really wanted to keep it. She made him prop it up against a barbed wire fence beside the highway (this IS Texas!) knowing the owners would probably come back for it. Two days later, while going back to the store, it was still there, so my wife let him keep it. I guess the logic is that it went to a good home and maybe the original owners learned a valuable lesson.

So the moral of the story is wait two days before you take something? :confused: :D

wakeX2wake
03-22-2012, 11:09 AM
boards off at highway speeds for me... anything over 50ish... learned this one the almost hard way... didn't think i had anything to worry about w/ a short distance on 4 lane hwy... thankfully i watch my mirrors religiously or i would have been prematurely buying a new board

broncotw
03-22-2012, 11:23 AM
No............

JRW160
03-22-2012, 11:28 AM
It depends on the boards racks and the road. Never on the interstate. The road from my house to the river is 50mph and it's about 4 miles. I have a friend with a nautique who always tows with boards in racks, but his racks have the bungees and he spins them in. With my 2003 board racks that locked in both the top and the bottom of the board, I towed with boards in the racks with no problems. The 2004+ boards racks I upgraded to with the clamps don't seem to hold the boards in nearly as securely. I don't trust them to tow with boards in the racks.

sp00ky
03-22-2012, 11:36 AM
It depends on the boards racks and the road. Never on the interstate. The road from my house to the river is 50mph and it's about 4 miles. I have a friend with a nautique who always tows with boards in racks, but his racks have the bungees and he spins them in. With my 2003 board racks that locked in both the top and the bottom of the board, I towed with boards in the racks with no problems. The 2004+ boards racks I upgraded to with the clamps don't seem to hold the boards in nearly as securely. I don't trust them to tow with boards in the racks.

I too leave them in the racks after I spin the racks to the inside. I wouldn't on highway speeds though.

Tri4X2
03-22-2012, 12:02 PM
I place them inside the boat... put the cover on and tow. I would never tow with them in the racks. Witnessed a guy leaving Lake Austin last year that lost his brand new Witness Grind..... I only know because I stopped to take it off the road. He never saw it come out.

cdstukey
03-22-2012, 10:57 PM
Nothing in the racks for me, however I did drive about two blocks with my ski on the platform once. Does that count? Sheer panic when I saw it in the mirror, yikes!

mikeg205
03-22-2012, 11:51 PM
can't believe this is a discussion...large curved surface on a mount with a rubber band holding it while traveling at 50-60 plus mph. Small Cessna aircraft take off at around 63 mph ultralights even less. Well I guess a mild continuous rocker may take a little speed to lift of ...

Nothing in the rack period when towing.

Barefooter92
03-23-2012, 08:54 AM
can't believe this is a discussion...large curved surface on a mount with a rubber band holding it while traveling at 50-60 plus mph. Small Cessna aircraft take off at around 63 mph ultralights even less. Well I guess a mild continuous rocker may take a little speed to lift of ...

Nothing in the rack period when towing.

Seriously folks, the racks are for making space when the boat is occupied with people. If your towing with people in the boat I would understand:D. Otherwise quit being lazy and put them in the boat.

Is it not enough being cool towing your MC you need to show off your equipment too?:cool:

pmkkdx
03-23-2012, 09:16 AM
nothing in the racks while towing here ... I saw a wakeboard & surfboard fly off the same boat at about 45 mph when a bungee popped, thankfully neither hit any oncoming traffic.

willyt
03-23-2012, 09:41 AM
Seriously folks, the racks are for making space when the boat is occupied with people. :cool:

Wait nobody makes their friends sit in the boat on the way to the lake??

I WANNA MAKE MY BOAT LOUD!!!

holdenh2o
03-23-2012, 03:11 PM
I put the dogs in the boat, never people.

trickskier
03-24-2012, 09:27 AM
Read the safety warnings on the tower. No I do not tow the boat with gear in the racks.

Ditto!!! 8p

CantRepeat
03-24-2012, 09:35 AM
I WANNA MAKE MY BOAT LOUD!!!

Hooligan, is that you again?

onewheat
03-25-2012, 11:10 PM
Ramp to the garage - not over 35 mph - maybe, if the floor already had boards on it, but otherwise, never.

JohnE
03-26-2012, 09:42 AM
I've towed once with the ski's in the rack. But I strapped the skis in by criss crossing a ratcheting tie down strap and securing them tight. There was absolutely no way they were falling off the rack. Let the stoning begin.

CantRepeat
03-26-2012, 09:53 AM
I've towed once with the ski's in the rack. But I strapped the skis in by criss crossing a ratcheting tie down strap and securing them tight. There was absolutely no way they were falling off the rack. Let the stoning begin.

/dogpile!!!

willyt
03-26-2012, 10:08 AM
Hooligan, is that you again?

Just paying homage

tex
03-26-2012, 11:36 AM

As I said...Only takes once!

DemolitionMan
03-26-2012, 12:18 PM
I don't tow with the boards in the racks.